Bioactive Setup and Background Guide(s) - Thoughts?

Would the community benefit from Bioactive Set Up/Custom Background Guides?

• I'd use it / I'd be interested in reading it

Votes: 14 100.0%
  • Good guides already exist/Not interested

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GoodKarma19

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi cham fam! I've been getting a lot of people lately reaching out regarding bioactive enclosure set up and GreatStuff foam walls, and I thought I'd make a quickie poll and gauge the community's interest in the creation of a how-to guide! Or at least, a "how I do it" guide. I'd never call myself an expert, but I have a keen interest in the subject and I like to be useful where I can! I didn't do the most thorough look through the blog section, so there may well be other guides that I've completely overlooked in my excitement haha!

I'm just about to start another bioactive build (18x18x36 ExoTerra), so now would be the perfect time to document every step of the process as opposed to here and there at the end of a session like I often do. My initial thought is to create a series of blogs, pending photo limits, and while I don't have a concrete plan as of yet I'm considering at the very least creating 2 blogs - 1 for basic bioactive principles and setup, and 1 for custom foam walls, possibly with separate guides for glass and screen application.

Would people be interested in something like this? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

~Amanda.

This is a great idea! I have been researching a lot on bioactive setups for both glass and screen there is some great setup builds out there if you search around enough. This upcoming summer I’m upgrading from a large keeper screen DS to a bioactive exoterra 36x18x36 or a new large atrium DS bioactive setup. My boy little foot is spoiled haha.

Seems like bioactive is really starting to grab a lot of people’s attention now a days, so I think you trying to help out with blogs and giving out helpful information will benefit anybody looking to getting into making a bioactive setup.

This would be great! There’s not to much out there for bioactive chameleon cage builds. I had to steal a lot of ideas from dart frog setups but it just didn’t turn out the same. I have been thinking about building a 36x18x36 exo terra for Lennon. Just gotta plan it all out.

I would love this! I've been a bit overwhelmed with just getting a basic set up right, so getting one source from someone who knows what they're doing would help a ton with taking that next step (turning a screen enclosure into a bioactive one).

Thanks for the encouragement you guys! I'll start working on some outlines, and go from there.

I would love this! I've been a bit overwhelmed with just getting a basic set up right, so getting one source from someone who knows what they're doing would help a ton with taking that next step (turning a screen enclosure into a bioactive one).

Ah - thank you for bringing up screen enclosures! My first guides will be for glass, as that's what I'm currently working on, but I have done a ReptiBreeze bioactive conversion recently that I can do a quickie guide on. I didn't take many pictures of the process, unfortunately, but I should be able to make it work! I'm not sure of the time frame for getting any of these guides up, so if you have any questions in the mean time please feel free to DM me and we can chat. :)

I think it would be a good idea. I know I put a lot of pics of my build as I went along. But it would be better if it was organized a little better instead of having a update post and then many post of questions/comments until the next update post. You are welcome to grab some of my build pics to put along with yours.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/my-bioactive-build.170830/

Thanks Tony! I loved your idea for your hidden PVC pipe and FullThrottle feeder holder. How's that holding up for you? If I take any pictures/concepts, I'll of course credit the source (and discuss it with them beforehand)! :)

See I told you ppl would like a blog lol

You know me, Jo - had to double check before I started writing a novel that no one wanted in the first place haha! The positive response is very encouraging, and I'm hoping it'll be a helpful addition!

The foam is flexible and it slides right out and in. I do have to swing the mist head out of the way to slide it out though.

Fantastic! I may just try your idea for this build, depending on the direction it takes me! I have a lovely jumbo cork round that's just begging for me to transform it into a tree.

The more Positive threads and info spread about Bio the better.

Us Bio peeps been fighting a losing battle for a VERY LONG time, Us Glass Peeps too :).

A good example, very old thread (almost a decade now) that I was looking at for reference for another thread.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/critique-my-enclosure.35783/

I just seen in the Facebook world the other day, "Are these good rocks to cover all my soil in my plants with?" I didn't even bother to reply lol.

So it makes me very happy to see all the posts in this thread, people doing Bio, people wanting to know more about Bio, it seems to starting to make momentum, and its taken a very long time :(.

Hi cham fam! I've been getting a lot of people lately reaching out regarding bioactive enclosure set up and GreatStuff foam walls, and I thought I'd make a quickie poll and gauge the community's interest in the creation of a how-to guide! Or at least, a "how I do it" guide. I'd never call myself an expert, but I have a keen interest in the subject and I like to be useful where I can! I didn't do the most thorough look through the blog section, so there may well be other guides that I've completely overlooked in my excitement haha!

I'm just about to start another bioactive build (18x18x36 ExoTerra), so now would be the perfect time to document every step of the process as opposed to here and there at the end of a session like I often do. My initial thought is to create a series of blogs, pending photo limits, and while I don't have a concrete plan as of yet I'm considering at the very least creating 2 blogs - 1 for basic bioactive principles and setup, and 1 for custom foam walls, possibly with separate guides for glass and screen application.

Would people be interested in something like this? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

~Amanda.
Fantastic idea but I think it should be written by someone with more expertise than you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

<sarcasm>

The more Positive threads and info spread about Bio the better.

Us Bio peeps been fighting a losing battle for a VERY LONG time, Us Glass Peeps too :).

A good example, very old thread (almost a decade now) that I was looking at for reference for another thread.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/critique-my-enclosure.35783/

I just seen in the Facebook world the other day, "Are these good rocks to cover all my soil in my plants with?" I didn't even bother to reply lol.

So it makes me very happy to see all the posts in this thread, people doing Bio, people wanting to know more about Bio, it seems to starting to make momentum, and its taken a very long time :(.

I appreciate it! I've definitely become a huge advocate for team Bio Glass over the last year, and hope to convert as many people as possible! :p Just gotta make it accessible and break it down. As complex as you can make a bioactive build, the core concepts of bioactivity really aren't very difficult at all!

I might have to sit down and collect popular glass myths and debunk them as an additional point of interest. I think I've done that a few times now; just gotta go and dig through my posts haha! Drives me bonkers. Same with the whole substrate = impaction correlation.

Fantastic idea but I think it should be written by someone with more expertise than you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

<sarcasm>

We all know that I know nothing. I'm just really good at faking it! :ROFLMAO:

I plan to use Isopods and white springtails, I don't know the quantities but, there 2 culture from Josh's Frogs

Last edited:
I think this is an AWESOME idea, I am SO glad I went bioactive, it is so much less maintenance and Ripley seems so happy in his little rain forest!!

What CUC is everyone putting into their bioactive setups and in what quantities.
I’m using giant canyons and as of quantities I just dumped a good size culture I had been getting ready for months in. They are doing a good job. I found some hanging out on a magnolia pod in the cage and they ate the poop in a day

I have two tubs of spring tails and two tubs of woodlice. Probs about 15 woodlice. Live moss to top it all off with. I recently had to up the amount of CUC as I was noticing a backlog off poop. I had only had 1 tub of spring tails in to begin with. Simply wasnt enough. Hopefully this will work out for me and I wont need any more.

Back
Top Bottom