New Female Veiled - 1st-time owner with questions regarding overall setup and diet

For years I've used a double 4 foot long fluorescent fixture with one Repti-sun 5.0 long linear tube light and one regular white fluorescent tube light and this sits over two cages. I had a whole room full of cages and with all the lights on it kept the room pretty warm.

Thx, what's the voltage/wattage of the flourescent fixture?

You two are awesome! I am heading out of town for about a week, so will be back online when I return. In the meantime, I will give my sister my login info in case anything urgent comes up with Vertigo and she wants to request input from this list. Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

Hi Kristen! Thanks so much for checking in. Things went well while I was out of town. Before I left, I brought over fresh fruits/veggies for Vertigo and the crickets, and some worms. Today I was over and offered her some fresh fruits and veggies (mustard greens, collard greens, romaine, red pepper, and strawberry, cucumber and zucchini) and she ate two of the types of greens right away, but didn't eat anything else. Previous to this, she had a small piece of a green bean. So, slowly but surely she is eating a little fresh food. She apparently has walked in the egg laying bin, but has done no digging, so you were all correct that she is likely not pregnant. I am still happy to have an egg laying bin in there, just in case she produces eggs and needs to lay them.

Thanks so much for asking, and thanks again for being so hepful :)

Hi Kristen! Thanks so much for checking in. Things went well while I was out of town. Before I left, I brought over fresh fruits/veggies for Vertigo and the crickets, and some worms. Today I was over and offered her some fresh fruits and veggies (mustard greens, collard greens, romaine, red pepper, and strawberry, cucumber and zucchini) and she ate two of the types of greens right away, but didn't eat anything else. Previous to this, she had a small piece of a green bean. So, slowly but surely she is eating a little fresh food. She apparently has walked in the egg laying bin, but has done no digging, so you were all correct that she is likely not pregnant. I am still happy to have an egg laying bin in there, just in case she produces eggs and needs to lay them.

Thanks so much for asking, and thanks again for being so hepful :)
So happy to hear she is doing well . Also happy to hear you have her bin all set up .

Thanks, I feel so much more relaxed for the time being having things all set up. I also got the lighting right using 40Watt regular bulb (v. energy efficient) so now the basking temp hovers around 80 degrees. Yay!!!

Hi, just had to share that Vertigo ate more greens today - mint leaf, basil, collard greens, mustard greens, and also green beans. I'm so excited!!! She won't yet eat fruit,but maybe over time she will.

I am wondering again if Vertigo may be pregnant. She has been consistently lit up in colors, as I will show in attached pictures. I also saw her in the plant pot on the sand, but did not see any digging. Let me know your thoughts...

Attachments

• VertigoP1.JPG
    VertigoP1.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 88
  • VertigoP2.JPG
    VertigoP2.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 122
  • VertigoP3.JPG
    VertigoP3.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 89
I am wondering again if Vertigo may be pregnant. She has been consistently lit up in colors, as I will show in attached pictures. I also saw her in the plant pot on the sand, but did not see any digging. Let me know your thoughts...
Hi Julia she definitely got bigger . Are you keeping a weight on her ? The colors look more like stress or annoyance colors .

Hi Julia she definitely got bigger . Are you keeping a weight on her ? The colors look more like stress or annoyance colors .

No, I haven't been keeping weight since she's at my niece's house and there's no scale there, but I can bring mine over. What types of things stress or annoy them? She is alone most of the day (from about 7am-7pm) so I am not sure what would be bothering her.

No, I haven't been keeping weight since she's at my niece's house and there's no scale there, but I can bring mine over. What types of things stress or annoy them? She is alone most of the day (from about 7am-7pm) so I am not sure what would be bothering her.
It can be odd things ,Another animal , bird flying by , fish in a fish tank in her room . A red sweater hanging near her . Sunglasses on a table a mirror she can see her self in . Her condo has a new plant or bowl she does not approve of . It could be something you don’t think is anything but She does .

It can be odd things ,Another animal , bird flying by , fish in a fish tank in her room . A red sweater hanging near her . Sunglasses on a table a mirror she can see her self in . Her condo has a new plant or bowl she does not approve of . It could be something you don’t think is anything but She does .

They can be quite... picky... uumm I don't think that's the right word... finicky is better I think.

Omg, my niece has things all over the room all the time. I have no idea how we could sort out what is bothering her if it is an item of clothing or something else. There is no mirror she can see herself in. Her cage has not been moved. And nothing has been added to removed from her cage. Her cage is up higher than most things in the room so she has quite a bit of privacy and, as I said, most of the day she is alone, which I would have thought she would like.

Back
Top Bottom