New Female Veiled - 1st-time owner with questions regarding overall setup and diet

Omg, my niece has things all over the room all the time. I have no idea how we could sort out what is bothering her if it is an item of clothing or something else. There is no mirror she can see herself in. Her cage has not been moved. And nothing has been added to removed from her cage. Her cage is up higher than most things in the room so she has quite a bit of privacy and, as I said, most of the day she is alone, which I would have thought she would like.
it could be just a color . Our Frances hates my Hubbys glasses . She does not like the color red . Don’t know what she does not like about it or if she see’s color different .

Dang right they are bossy!! It can be almost impossible to figure out what is bothering them if they are in a "busy" kind of room like you described. Maybe you could try moving the cage to a room where things are more stable (do not get moved around often)?

Dang right they are bossy!! It can be almost impossible to figure out what is bothering them if they are in a "busy" kind of room like you described. Maybe you could try moving the cage to a room where things are more stable (do not get moved around often)?
Agrees she might just not like how it’s kept . I know it sounds crazy but they a bossy little things .

Hi, I have a new pic to post to see if Vertigo is now pregnant. She has mustard colors now and hasn't been eating anything when I feed her (at least, not in front of me) at all yesterday or today. She usually goes to the food immediately. She wouldn't even eat a worm from my hand yesterday or today, which she has never declined in the past. She otherwise seems healthy, but appears a little restless. She is also scratching at the screen on the top of the cage with some frequency and this is a new behavior and I'm wondering if this could be nesting instinct. Her egg laying bin was under her large hammock so I moved it over to the side where it is more visible. She has been in it in the past so is familiar, but she has been more interested in scratching things around the top of the cage. Do you think she may be pregnant now and, if so, is there anything I should be doing differently? She is in the cage alone all day and so I am not sure whether I need to cover it in that circumstance.

Attachments

• V Preg.JPG
    V Preg.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 92
Oh, and she's also hissing at me more than normal, and with more intensity. I have been afraid to try to pick her up.

Just as a heads up, I had the same hammock attached on the sides of my Exo Terra so my veiled could climb from the bottom to the top of the enclosure with ease and the hammock turned into a moldy mess. Just wanted to give you a warning to keep an eye on it!

with regard to her possibly being pregnant.....she and was also laying on a branch that is partly on the floor yesterday morning, but then began climbing and was up high all day. But I have never seen her resting on a branch near the floor as if she is laying on it. And her feet were on the floor of the cage when she did this.

I am going to copy this info into a new thread to see if anyone is available to respond, but would still appreciate any responses from this thread..thx!

Thanks for the heads up! I have 2 kinds, the one you see in the pic and the several of the ones at the link below:

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Rept...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9TQAZ06DEYAA42EBMEHP

I do clean them with soap and water sometimes. Do you think it's okay to do that now, when she may need to lay eggs, or might this disturb her too much and put her at-risk for being egg bound?

I personally removed them all as I did not want to take the chance with mold. I personally have never had a female but I have read the less you disrupt them the better, even my male does not like me going in his cage and rearranging things. I just replaced them with more outside branches and some fake vines!

I am going to copy this info into a new thread to see if anyone is available to respond, but would still appreciate any responses from this thread..thx!

I also personally would not start a new thread, it gets confusing and information already stated is lost. The guys/gals that were helping you wil be along to help once again:)

Hi, I have a new pic to post to see if Vertigo is now pregnant. She has mustard colors now and hasn't been eating anything when I feed her (at least, not in front of me) at all yesterday or today. She usually goes to the food immediately. She wouldn't even eat a worm from my hand yesterday or today, which she has never declined in the past. She otherwise seems healthy, but appears a little restless. She is also scratching at the screen on the top of the cage with some frequency and this is a new behavior and I'm wondering if this could be nesting instinct. Her egg laying bin was under her large hammock so I moved it over to the side where it is more visible. She has been in it in the past so is familiar, but she has been more interested in scratching things around the top of the cage. Do you think she may be pregnant now and, if so, is there anything I should be doing differently? She is in the cage alone all day and so I am not sure whether I need to cover it in that circumstance.
Hi Julia , Yes she has her big girl colors . When did her color change ? Laying prob will be a month or so from color change . Some take much longer . Just have her lay bin ready also a cover ready . Keep her regular schedule . Try to not disturb her . She may dig up everything before settling on her perfect spot . She could dig over days or even weeks . Watch for sitting low , lethargic , eye closing Etc. if you see any of this she would need to see a vet . You do not need to start a new thread . You can tag @jannb , @kinyonga for help . They are expert with laying .

Hi Julia , Yes she has her big girl colors . When did her color change ? Laying prob will be a month or so from color change . Some take much longer . Just have her lay bin ready also a cover ready . Keep her regular schedule . Try to not disturb her . She may dig up everything before settling on her perfect spot . She could dig over days or even weeks . Watch for sitting low , lethargic , eye closing Etc. if you see any of this she would need to see a vet . You do not need to start a new thread . You can tag @jannb , @kinyonga for help . They are expert with laying .

Thanks so much for your response. I was panicked so already started new thread late last night. I was reading online and many Cham owners reported that grávid chams start laying eggs a few days after they stop eating. It's day three of her appearing to not eat, so its a little worrisome. But she's just basking right now.

Her color initially changed to very bright striking colors for a few weeks, then to tons of dark green lines and splotches and now the way she's shown in the pic. Her most recent color change was in the past few weeks.

Her color initially changed to very bright striking colors for a few weeks, then to tons of dark green lines and splotches and now the way she's shown in the pic. Her most recent color change was in the past few weeks.
She’s probably getting close . Just keep her condo covered . You can put a Nanny cam in there if you want to keep an eye on her with out her knowing . She needs privacy . Her normal feeding lighting and hydration schedule is good . Try to keep things as normal as you can with giving her privacy .

She’s probably getting close . Just keep her condo covered . You can put a Nanny cam in there if you want to keep an eye on her with out her knowing . She needs privacy . Her normal feeding lighting and hydration schedule is good . Try to keep things as normal as you can with giving her privacy .

Thanks, Kristen. Do I need to cover the cage if she is already alone most of the day? I assume I need to leave the lights on, so how do I secure sheets to the sides of the cage only?

Thanks, Kristen. Do I need to cover the cage if she is already alone most of the day? I assume I need to leave the lights on, so how do I secure sheets to the sides of the cage only?
You can use a sheet and and closepins around the cage , not covering top . Do you have lights on timer ?

Back
Top Bottom