New Female Veiled - 1st-time owner with questions regarding overall setup and diet

Another question...lol. With regard to basking area, the light is right on top of the cage and the perch is really high also (just a few inches from the top). I know it is usually placed lower, but it seems that this is the only location that may achieve 80-82 degrees with the 40 watt bulb. If so, is it okay for her to sit that close to the bulb?

Another question...lol. With regard to basking area, the light is right on top of the cage and the perch is really high also (just a few inches from the top). I know it is usually placed lower, but it seems that this is the only location that may achieve 80-82 degrees with the 40 watt bulb. If so, is it okay for her to sit that close to the bulb?
She need to be in a safe distance or she will get burnt . At least 4 inc .

Even if it's only 80-82 degrees she can get burnt? Is there something else besides the heat that determines whether she will burn? Seems odd to add hotter bulb and then move branch lower for basking area, cuz seems like it would be just as hot overall. But maybe it has something to do with another aspect of the halogen light. I will move it down to be safe.

Even if it's only 80-82 degrees she can get burnt? Is there something else besides the heat that determines whether she will burn? Seems odd to add hotter bulb and then move branch lower for basking area, cuz seems like it would be just as hot overall. But maybe it has something to do with another aspect of the halogen light. I will move it down to be safe.
She would have access to the top screen as well the screen gets hotter than the bulb . I would not go below 82 I would worry about RI .

I liked online and found it. RI = respiratory infection. Thanks for the heads up on that being a risk!

We have lights from lightyourreptiles . We love them it's a quad set up . It's basking, UVB and plant all in one . I personally like Linenger for uvb there's more coverage . . The Incandescent is what you use for your lights at home . It's fine for basking as well .

Kristen, I would like to have an all-in-one light setup. Can you send me a link to the one you have so I can see it?

And Lynda, can you explain how you get an 80-82 degree area in your chams cage without a basking light? What is the source of that heat? And what are the specs of your non-UVB bulb (the type, brand name, wattage, volts etc)?

I'd like to figure out the all-in-one options and then test them out to see which setup works with glass cage and achieves correct temperature range.

And I'd rather have horizontal bar lights so they aren't at risk of falling off the cage when I'm gone :)

I am researching cham lights for basking and it says incandescent is best. I got a halogen light today because they only sold these and energy efficient bulbs and LED, so I thought halogen was best choice of bulbs available based on conversation with the person at the store. I just read that halogen are technically incandescent, but are a little different. It also says online, "Halogen lamps get hotter than regular incandescent lamps because the heat is concentrated on a smaller envelope surface, and because the surface is closer to the filament. This high temperature is essential to their operation." Did I get the wrong kind and should I go out and get incandescent light? This is all so confusing...I'm just trying to accommodate the poor little gal and I can't seem to get this whole lighting bit down.

I checked out the website for "light your reptiles" and I'm not even sure what drop down choice to select under "light fixtures," let alone how to recognize what constitutes a viable all-in-one for my cham. I feel so ignorant...lol.

Kristen, I would like to have an all-in-one light setup. Can you send me a link to the one you have so I can see it?

And Lynda, can you explain how you get an 80-82 degree area in your chams cage without a basking light? What is the source of that heat? And what are the specs of your non-UVB bulb (the type, brand name, wattage, volts etc)?

I'd like to figure out the all-in-one options and then test them out to see which setup works with glass cage and achieves correct temperature range.

And I'd rather have horizontal bar lights so they aren't at risk of falling off the cage when I'm gone :)

To clarify, doesn't have to be horizontal bulb, just a horizontal hood for the lights...

IMG_5344.jpg

This is the ones we have . They come with legs so you can ajust as you need . This will give you basking temp . It's all in one . Todd is whom you can talk with .

Thanks for the link, that is so helpful :)
Your very welcome . You will not have any issue with getting temps where they need to be . If you chat with Todd he will Direct you . We have 10.0 uvb but our enclosure are big , very densely planted . Likely 5.0 would be fine for you . See what Todd thinks :).

Your very welcome . You will not have any issue with getting temps where they need to be . If you chat with Todd he will Direct you . We have 10.0 uvb but our enclosure are big , very densely planted . Likely 5.0 would be fine for you . See what Todd thinks :).

Thx, I will reach out to him :)

For years I've used a double 4 foot long fluorescent fixture with one Repti-sun 5.0 long linear tube light and one regular white fluorescent tube light and this sits over two cages. I had a whole room full of cages and with all the lights on it kept the room pretty warm.

For years I've used a double 4 foot long fluorescent fixture with one Repti-sun 5.0 long linear tube light and one regular white fluorescent tube light and this sits over two cages. I had a whole room full of cages and with all the lights on it kept the room pretty warm.
So same kinda idea ? I have no issues with the quad set up . Kinda different but in Hunters room where there's 3 enclosure room is hot even when it's 5 out his room is hot , so that makes complete sense to me .

Back
Top Bottom