New Female Veiled - 1st-time owner with questions regarding overall setup and diet

Is it okay to hold her at all early in the AM or at night? My niece is coming home today and takes her out of the cage daily, so I want yo know how to advise her about this.

Is it okay to hold her at all early in the AM or at night? My niece is coming home today and takes her out of the cage daily, so I want yo know how to advise her about this.
I would not till she lays . Keep her in her enclosure covered . Especially if tour Neice is going to be in the room . If she feels threatened it could interfere with her laying . If she’s already hissing she’s letting you guys know she wants to be left alone . It’s extra crucial right now to give her space and privacy . Offer her food other then that let her be :love:. You can up her watering as well just make sure her bin is draining . There’s no water at bottom . She may big to the very bottom.

Here is the covered enclosure. The front part can be folded up to expose the doors (as seen in 2nd pic) and you can also see there's a peak hole on righthand side so you can see the laying bin area.

Attachments

• IMG_7734.JPG
    IMG_7734.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_7735.JPG
    IMG_7735.JPG
    288.1 KB · Views: 92
Hi Kristen (and anyone else who wants to), please take a look at the other thread I started (https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/is-my-cham-gravid.160702/#post-1383770) and let me know if you have any advice. If Vertigo's condition worsens, I may drive her to the vet tomorrow which is 5 hours away. I don't want to take her to the vet prematurely but don't want her to be egg bound here over the upcoming weekend when all the regular vet staff are unavailable.

Have you ever had pregnant cham with intermittently gaping mouth? I only saw her with this earlier today, but she may be trying to hide the symptom when I am around. She also is climbing more slowly than usual and I still haven't witnessed her eating. I want to give her as much time to lay eggs naturally as possible, but not so long that I overlook symptoms of her being egg bound and then it's too late to get her help. If I go to the vet, she will not have any more change to lay eggs unless I bring the laying bin in the car. I am not sure if this is best way to transport her (with a vented lid over it) or whether she should be in the cage. I hope that she survives this situation.

Hi Kristen (and anyone else who wants to), please take a look at the other thread I started (https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/is-my-cham-gravid.160702/#post-1383770) and let me know if you have any advice. If Vertigo's condition worsens, I may drive her to the vet tomorrow which is 5 hours away. I don't want to take her to the vet prematurely but don't want her to be egg bound here over the upcoming weekend when all the regular vet staff are unavailable.

Have you ever had pregnant cham with intermittently gaping mouth? I only saw her with this earlier today, but she may be trying to hide the symptom when I am around. She also is climbing more slowly than usual and I still haven't witnessed her eating. I want to give her as much time to lay eggs naturally as possible, but not so long that I overlook symptoms of her being egg bound and then it's too late to get her help. If I go to the vet, she will not have any more change to lay eggs unless I bring the laying bin in the car. I am not sure if this is best way to transport her (with a vented lid over it) or whether she should be in the cage. I hope that she survives this situation.
Hi Julia I just hopped over to the other thread . Sorry I did not respond last night . I never hasitate to get my girl over to vet . If you think she needs to go , then take her :love: . @jannb is on your other thread . She is an veiled expert . She is one of my go to’s for Miss Frances . Open mouth can be many reasons RI , to hot , big load of eggs near lungs Ext . Some times they take a really long time to lay , Frances was months and months . @opheliaeatsbugs was the same 2 or 3 visits to vet . Some times with first clutch they take a long time and sometimes there’s issues . You know the behavior best and if you think she’s having issues then take her in .

The other thing you can do is set up a sec bin . That’s maybe a bit bigger to see if she prefers the sec . You just don’t want to be in her space long . If you do change her over do it as quick as possible :love:.

It's crazy how much stress and worry these girls put us through, I mean seriously. I feel you, @Julia777. I was the same exact way. The first clutch, I don't think I ever really noticed the blues and yellows and I had her covered for months because I just wasn't sure. The second time, her colors were much more pronounced and I knew right away.

I did take O to the vet 2x in one month and, although it was worth it because the vet made me feel much more comfortable about the process and it was great seeing xrays, even he couldn't give me a definitive answer on where she was in the process or when he thought she might lay her eggs. I think the best advice I got (from everyone on the forums), was to 1) put the lights on a timer, 2) cover the cage 24x7 with little or no interruption other than feeding. @Kristen Wilkins is right, it took MONTHS for O to finally lay them (a month after she started digging). She didn't dig, lay and cover in one night... no... this girl stretched out my agony for months. I'm on to her now, though :LOL:

Don't bother her, don't hold her, cover, feed/water and check on her at feeding time. I kept a journal - that helped keep my sanity.

It's crazy how much stress and worry these girls put us through, I mean seriously. I feel you, @Julia777. I was the same exact way. The first clutch, I don't think I ever really noticed the blues and yellows and I had her covered for months because I just wasn't sure. The second time, her colors were much more pronounced and I knew right away.

I did take O to the vet 2x in one month and, although it was worth it because the vet made me feel much more comfortable about the process and it was great seeing xrays, even he couldn't give me a definitive answer on where she was in the process or when he thought she might lay her eggs. I think the best advice I got (from everyone on the forums), was to 1) put the lights on a timer, 2) cover the cage 24x7 with little or no interruption other than feeding. @Kristen Wilkins is right, it took MONTHS for O to finally lay them (a month after she started digging). She didn't dig, lay and cover in one night... no... this girl stretched out my agony for months. I'm on to her now, though :LOL:

Don't bother her, don't hold her, cover, feed/water and check on her at feeding time. I kept a journal - that helped keep my sanity.

Yes, it's super stressful. I am following all of your suggestions. I just posted again on the other thread ((https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/is-my-cham-gravid.160702/#post-1383770) It's so hard to decide how soon to take her to the vet, especially since it's a 5-hour drive. Did yours ever have a gaping mouth while gravid?

Yes, it's super stressful. I am following all of your suggestions. I just posted again on the other thread ((https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/is-my-cham-gravid.160702/#post-1383770) It's so hard to decide how soon to take her to the vet, especially since it's a 5-hour drive. Did yours ever have a gaping mouth while gravid?

Well... I mean, she gapes sometimes, sure. I don't know that this was a flag for me, though. Gaping is normal so what makes you worry about it with your girl? Is it all the time? I'm sorry, I should probably go read the other thread...

Well... I mean, she gapes sometimes, sure. I don't know that this was a flag for me, though. Gaping is normal so what makes you worry about it with your girl? Is it all the time? I'm sorry, I should probably go read the other thread...
And by normal, I'm thinking about how they use it when they are too hot.

I have only seen her gape once since I bought her, and that was when it was too hot. Then I adjusted cage temp and it never happened again. So that's why it's a bit alarming, especially when she does it for 20 minutes and the cage that is the same temperature that it alway is. Therefore, it seems that the only variable that has changed is her being gravid, and so I am trying to understand whether gravid chams gape with increased frequency and/or increased duration. I hope that helps to clarify, and thanks so much for your support.

I have only seen her gape once since I bought her, and that was when it was too hot. Then I adjusted cage temp and it never happened again. So that's why it's a bit alarming, especially when she does it for 20 minutes and the cage that is the same temperature that it alway is. Therefore, it seems that the only variable that has changed is her being gravid, and so I am trying to understand whether gravid chams gape with increased frequency and/or increased duration. I hope that helps to clarify, and thanks so much for your support.
I wish I had something to add, but I don't have personal experience with gaping while gravid, sorry!

Back
Top Bottom