My Bioactive Enclosure Build (Pt. 2)

I'll be starting my viv construction this weekend. How many tubes of silicon have you gone thru so far? I currently have 4 to get me started. I will also be using a bunch of cork flats on my glass that wouldn't need to be covered with silicon/coco fiber.

I'm afraid I wont be of help, there - I've been using LiquidRubber! But you'll very likely need more than 4 tubes, unless you're planning on a whole lot of cork.

Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out! I love me a good build thread. :) I keep hitting stumbling blocks, for mine. Been alternatively sick, working, or dealing with uncooperative (rainy) weather!

Yeah, its been raining here a lot as well. I'm going to build it in my garage or I'll never get it done.

Sadly, I don't have a garage and my roommates would fuss if I tried to put it in the carport (I'd be worried about breaking something on the concrete, anyway!). So, the viv is stuck in the back yard until the day it gets done. One glorious day! :LOL:

Hardscape is finally done!! :D Next step is to painstakingly glue in the moss, and then hopefully bring it inside this weekend. Waiting on lighting - there was an issue with my order!

Front:

Top down:

Left side across:

Right side across:

Left side:

Right side:

Very nice looking. I'm finally on the coco fiber stage of my build. I have to give you props for cutting all that foam with the branches already in the enclosure. It took me forever to do mine even with me attaching the few branches I'm using after cutting the main sections of the foam.

Very nice looking. I'm finally on the coco fiber stage of my build. I have to give you props for cutting all that foam with the branches already in the enclosure. It took me forever to do mine even with me attaching the few branches I'm using after cutting the main sections of the foam.

It definitely wasn't fun, haha! I had a solid 8-10 hours of trimming to do... next time I'll definitely be foaming in branches after an initial cut down! One of many lessons learned. The next build will definitely go much more smoothly!

Moss is in! :D

I'm not entirely sure if it'll live or not, but I'm hoping at least some of it will!! This is my first attempt super gluing terrestrial moss, though I've used this method with aquariums in the past. I gave it a good long mist, and will let it settle in outside for a few days before finally bring the terrarium inside this weekend for planting. All of the moss was harvested from my (pesticide free etc etc) yard and given a thorough soak before attachment.

Attachments

• 20190901_173048.jpg
    20190901_173048.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 245
Looking awesome. Love the moss. I wasn't going to put any in my enclosure, but now you have me double guessing myself.

Thanks! :D I like the aesthetics, though I suppose it could technically become an impaction risk if the little guy shoots at something and gets a mouthful of moss. Granted, I'll be almost entirely cup feeding, and the moss is pretty on there... I dont think I have anything to worry about!

Back
Top Bottom