My Bioactive Enclosure Build (Pt. 2)

Ok, I'm already planned on doing the pvc pipe in the corner to remove water if necessary. Just looking for all my options before I start building it

Absolutely! I've been planning this build for months, haha! Researched until I was practically cross eyed. :p

Ok, I'm already planned on doing the pvc pipe in the corner to remove water if necessary. Just looking for all my options before I start building it

Yep it works fine.

Mine will be behind the foam wall so you can't see it

I wouldn't do that. It will be hard to access. Best place for it is the front corner. Your not going to see it there either, if you cover the front with black vinyl or paint. I put mine the front corner right to about half way up the vent. Then just cover the hole with a piece of bark or make a cap.

If you use ABS or paint the PVC black, it will barely stand out if you don't cover the front.

Mine will be behind the foam wall so you can't see it

That actually would have been a great idea... I missed an opportunity, there! Oh well. My sides will be blacked out with those plastic background things, so I should be able to easily hide it amongst the roots and cover it with a little cap and leaf litter!

That actually would have been a great idea... I missed an opportunity, there! Oh well. My sides will be blacked out with those plastic background things, so I should be able to easily hide it amongst the roots and cover it with a little cap and leaf litter!

That's the better way, it's easier to access. If you need it, you don't want to have to dig around in the cage and such.

You can like you said black out the sides. But I would leave a small exposed piece to gauge water levels. And use Eggcrates as drainage layer, it holds way more water than Leca ect, and ways alot less.

I was still planning on having it in the front left corner, but I was going to spray foam into the corner then press the pvc pipe into it. So still not a good idea that way?

I'm so excited - look at the perfect fit of this Meyer's lemon! :D I had to pull put a branch, but it's meant to be! You can see Lily at the top, monitoring. I was checking my chameleon highway, since finished bits have safely outgassed!

The wall pots are 4" (the upper three), the other two are an approximately 5.5" cork half round and a ~11" half stump (bottom two). I havent actually measured those ones, though im just eyeballing!
Thanks, I'm just trying to get an idea on how much real-estate the foam walls and pots take up into the middle of the viv.

Thanks, I'm just trying to get an idea on how much real-estate the foam walls and pots take up into the middle of the viv.

Average thickness of the walls is about 2" with a single layer of Great Stuff gap Gap Filler, up to 5-6 inches around the pots. It takes up a fair bit of room!

Any issues with the foam pulling away from the smooth glass?

Not sure how true this is but I have heard to help it stick to glass you clean the glass with isopropanol alcohol the spread a tiny bit of iso on the glass and let it evaporate off before starting the spray foam.

Any issues with the foam pulling away from the smooth glass?

No because glass is not smooth. Glass is pitted and has voids. We just think it's smooth, it's not in reality.

That is why silicon adheres to glass, and doesn't to acrylic very well. Acrylic is smooth, glass is not.

This is what glass looks like under a microscope.
download (3).jpeg

diamond-gelsight.jpg

This is why acrylic fish tanks cannot be made with silicon and instead they have to use acrylic welding. Most silicon can and will peel off of acrylics that are not frosted.

The trick to sticking spray foam to glass is to use a thin coat first. Like 1/4 inch bead, all across. If you put it on heavy at first it will peel. If you do a light Priming coating that can adhere and make a strong bond then build on top of that later, it works fine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom