My Bioactive Enclosure Build (Pt. 2)

Please do! I love pictures!

Yeah, I'll be skimping out on Lily's enclosure a bit... 3 sides is a heck of a lot of work!

Your next challenge.
05DC4D68-F399-4E69-8E26-86D22F3DD7A5.png

Oh no believe me. I got plenty of builds of my own to do, Sadly. It's fun when your doing 1 and it doesn't need done ASAP but get put on a timer to finish 5, and it's not so fun anymore.

You sure do! And yeah, art isnt nearly as fun on a timer. Commissions suck a fair bit of fun out of my sculptures!

Oh, boy, you just wait like 5 years. Gonna make me a proper furniture grade, wall length enclosure for a Meller's (or 2)! That's the dream! I dont plan on having kids, so I have to spend my money somewhere! :ROFLMAO:

At that point just build a Room with a super big window. You could free range a few species in it.

In Wall > Furniture grade.

If you are going to build it the lenght of the wall, build a false wall with room for huge windows plural.

Do normal 16 on centers for the bottom, to about 1ft up, and make the room 48 wide by however long the old wall was, built a substrate bin and a door for access :) it will be a walk in Viv. With 6ft tall windows, all the lights in there, misters ect hidden. It would be your window to the jungle.

You could easily do it, and do it right for 5k or less.

Last edited:
At that point just build a Room with a super big window. You could free range a few species in it.

In Wall > Furniture grade.

If you are going to build it the lenght of the wall, build a false wall with room for huge windows plural.

Do normal 16 on centers for the bottom, to about 1ft up, and make the room 48 wide by however long the old wall was, built a substrate bin and a door for access :) it will be a walk in Viv. With 6ft tall windows, all the lights in there, misters ect hidden. It would be your window to the jungle.

You could easily do it, and do it right for 5k or less.

That has crossed my mind, yes! When you reach those prices and sizes, you may as well make it a permanent fixture, and how awesome would it be to have a little jungle in my home?? However, if I do have to move, I'd like to bring it with me. Little more difficult to move an in-wall enclosure, haha! Though at that size, breaking down that furniture grade enclosure would be nearly as difficult. :unsure:

I'd better wait until I settle down somewhere I expect to be for awhile!

Looking good, gives me some great ideas for when I get my exo terra viv in 2 weeks

Thank you! :D I'm really hoping this thread and threads like it inspire more keepers to get creative. I'm excited to see what you come up with- I hope you take lots of pictures of the process! :)

Thank you! :D I'm really hoping this thread and threads like it inspire more keepers to get creative. I'm excited to see what you come up with- I hope you take lots of pictures of the process! :)
I will also be doing a bio setup. For your drainage, you say you did it like the other thread. So you drilled holes in the floor of the viv?

I will also be doing a bio setup. For your drainage, you say you did it like the other thread. So you drilled holes in the floor of the viv?

That really isn't needed.

I added a drains to my really big Viv with a false bottom. The amount of water that drains is so little that all I ever see is some brown on the bottom of the drain bucket. With maybe a tiny puddle that is gone in a few hours.

I will not be adding drains to future builds. A 1.5-2inch false bottom is more than enough for as little misting as we do for Chams in glass. Even the Froggers use just false bottoms and they need to maintain 80-100% humidity so they must way more than we do.

That was referring to the pots in the walls! This sketch pretty much sums up my plan for the substrate layers. If the water levels get too high in the drainage layer, I plan on sticking a siphon down the PVC access pipe and remove any excess. Simple, but effective!

That was referring to the pots in the walls! This sketch pretty much sums up my plan for the substrate layers. If the water levels get too high in the drainage layer, I plan on sticking a siphon down the PVC access pipe and remove any excess. Simple, but effective!

View attachment 241128

Yep that's how I just did my Beetle Viv, who's false bottom is curing right now (the egg crate feet to the egg crate with silicon)

I highly doubt you will even ever need to siphon anything.

The beetles want deep soil, and their Vivs substrate hold isn't that deep. So I made 3x3 squares of Eggcrates and siliconed it to the bottom so almost 1inch total DL. There Viv has little venting though, so I can maintain the humidity they want with little water.

Yep that's how I just did my Beetle Viv, who's false bottom is curing right now (the egg crate feet to the egg crate with silicon)

I highly doubt you will even ever need to siphon anything.

I don't anticipate actually needing to use the siphon...but I'd much have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! I may well skip it in future builds. :)

I don't anticipate actually needing to use the siphon...but I'd much have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! I may well skip it in future builds. :)

Oh I would 100% still put in there. Like you said better safe than sorry. I was just saying I doubt you will need it.

Back
Top Bottom