My Bioactive Enclosure Build (Pt. 2)

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! What kind of bugs are you keeping? I'm thinking about making a little bioactive display tank for some orange head roaches, just cause I kinda like them and if they're in my home anyway they may as well be pretty to look at!

I'm build aboreal Vivs for Pink Wings and Harlequin Flower Beetles.

I'm build aboreal Vivs for Pink Wings and Harlequin Flower Beetles.

Oooh - I've been wanting to do something with pink wings! I've never heard of harlequin flower beetles, but a quick Google search later and I'm totally on board! What pretty little scarab-y looking fellas!

Thanks Becca! :love: I kinda feel bad that it's going to Pickle Rick instead of Lily, as intended... but she'll get her own refurbishing soon(tm)!
OHHHHHHHH Pickle...... I can't say it here lol. Awwww He is going to love it... I am really looking forward to round two for Lilly lol.

OHHHHHHHH Pickle...... I can't say it here lol. Awwww He is going to love it... I am really looking forward to round two for Lilly lol.

Hah, right? :LOL: At least the carving won't be nearly as extensive for Lily's build!! I've learned some valuable lessons, too, so it should go much more smoothly! Since her enclosure will be based off a screen cage I'll be doing a living wall on only the back and installing a willow lattice on either side for climbing and anchor points, and placing it on a custom planter box :)

Been working a lot and I have a few art commissions on the go. Throw in some fussy weather and you have delays on top of delays! o_O The entire viv is finally carved down, and I just unearthed my "test wall" of the viv. I'm digging it so far! A little bit of the Black/brown Liquid Rubber shows through a bit, but I kinda like it! It adds a little dimension. :)

It’s coming along very nicely! Can’t wait to see the finished product!

Thanks!! :D I'm moving slow as molasses, but I'm getting there! I cant wait this next step to be done so I can get to decorating, haha! I'm going to get in there with my tweezers and glue and probably go way overboard with the careful placement of little roots and moss :LOL:

I don'tthink I'll be doing a three wall project again anytime soon... holy cow that's a lot of work! Lily's only getting one wall at this rate, haha!

Artistic creativity can not be rushed! Lol!!
Lily better be happy with one wall! :LOL:

Pfft, right? Man. It always comes back to bite me in the rear, even if I'm generally happy with the outcome. I take aesthetics very seriously in my projects, and I wont rest until it's just so! I may have bitten off a bit more than I could easily chew, given that this is my first attempt at a custom foam wall! It's kinda hilarious now to think that I was considering a waterfall... yeah right. :rolleyes: Definitely not in this build! Maybe waaaaay down the road, when I build my dream enclosure and am ready for my dream chameleon. :unsure: Fun to think about, even if it's nowhere near realistic at the moment!

I figure since Lily has the smaller cage, I'll do a custom back with planters and then have willow lattices on the sides for anchor points/ease of climbing (since she insists on climbing the screen!). I'll throw on some of that window cling on the sides to better contain humidity/spray (and ti get rid of those show curtains), and call it a day. It'll still be fabulous, just not quite as fabulous as this build! :p

How’s the liquid rubber work with the coco fibre? Any idea how long it takes to dry? Or not yet.

The liquid rubber cures fully in ~24 hours, and offgasses in 4-7 days. It's pretty smelly when you first apply it, but the cocofibre adheres to it really well and it's very easy to apply and spread with a palette or plaster knife! Easier than silicone, i reckon, though I'll add that silicone will not stick to Liquid Rubber and visa versa! I recommend wearing a mask, too... the fumes gave me a bit of a headache after about half an hour.

The liquid rubber cures fully in ~24 hours, and offgasses in 4-7 days. It's pretty smelly when you first apply it, but the cocofibre adheres to it really well and it's very easy to apply and spread with a palette or plaster knife! Easier than silicone, i reckon, though I'll add that silicone will not stick to Liquid Rubber and visa versa! I recommend wearing a mask, too... the fumes gave me a bit of a headache after about half an hour.

I might try this with Cynthia new cage. I’m just starting the build so Luckily I haven’t got any silicone yet. I’ll look into the liquid rubber.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with! Build threads are my favorite! :D

I’ll have to start taking some pictures. Haven’t done much on it yet. Gunna be similar to Melons cage but not spray foaming the entire thing. I should post some pics of Lennon’s cage. I just fixed some of it up but I don’t think I posted pics of it in a long time.

I’ll have to start taking some pictures. Haven’t done much on it yet. Gunna be similar to Melons cage but not spray foaming the entire thing. I should post some pics of Lennon’s cage. I just fixed some of it up but I don’t think I posted pics of it in a long time.

Please do! I love pictures!

Yeah, I'll be skimping out on Lily's enclosure a bit... 3 sides is a heck of a lot of work!

Back
Top Bottom