Bioactive Setup and Background Guide(s) - Thoughts?

Would the community benefit from Bioactive Set Up/Custom Background Guides?

• I'd use it / I'd be interested in reading it

Votes: 14 100.0%
  • Good guides already exist/Not interested

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Ok so my tub is is this shoe box tub and I’ve let it grow for about 4 months I want to say. I’ll dump the whole tub in my viv

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 90
did someone say isopod cultures?
View attachment 258032
Omg I love :love: I’m trying to talk my husband into turning the masterbedroom into my reptile room so I have more space. I want to turn the closet into an invertebrate room that I have temp controlled and I want a nice sitting chair in the middle to watch my lizard babies.

He Threatened me with a divorce if I don’t stop this crazy talk :rolleyes: he’s still not one with the force

Last edited:
What CUC is everyone putting into their bioactive setups and in what quantities.

There's no real hard and fast rule for numbers, and it does vary s bit by enclosure size. A 36x18x36 would benefit from more CuC to start out with than an 18x18x36, for example!

For my larger ExoTerra, I originally seeded with about 20-30 isopods (o. Asellus), and about 2 springtail cultures (hard to estimate, as these were wild temperate springtails that I cultured). Kismet decimated my isopod population, and I ended up reseeding with dwarf whites (which are too small for Kismet to find interesting). I top up the springtails every few weeks if they don't show up in force the day after I feed everyone their MornIng Wood (I still giggle everytime I say it!).

Variety wise, in addition to the standard isopods and springtails I have red wiggler compost worms, some local detritus milipedes, and whatever else has hiked in with the leaflitter. I saw some small snails and a slug in with Kismet recently, and some variety of flat backed milipedes in with Lily. You end up with all sorts of things, haha!

Omg I love :love: I’m trying to talk my husband into turning the masterbedroom into my reptile room so I have more space. I want to turn the closet into an invertebrate room that I have temp controlled and I want a nice sitting chair in the middle to watch my lizard babies.

He Threatened me with a divorce if I don’t stop this crazy talk :rolleyes: he’s still not one with the force

Ya I wish my apartment wasn’t setup the way it is. A couple awkward shaped rooms makes it hard to setup. I use the one bedroom as a reptile room and the closet is the bug room. That one side is isopods and supplies and the other side is the crickets worms snails etc.

you just need to find the creature that fascinates him then he will be all on board lol. who needs a big bedroom anyways lol.

Ya I wish my apartment wasn’t setup the way it is. A couple awkward shaped rooms makes it hard to setup. I use the one bedroom as a reptile room and the closet is the bug room. That one side is isopods and supplies and the other side is the crickets worms snails etc.

you just need to find the creature that fascinates him then he will be all on board lol. who needs a big bedroom anyways lol.
Right!!! That’s what I told him, But he says he needs a bathroom in his room :rolleyes: City boys. I wouldn’t mind taking the smallest room the reptiles are in now and giving them my room. It get way more nature light and I can maybe turn the bathroom into a parsonii enclosure:unsure:

He says he likes bearded dragons but he’s in no rush for one right now. Maybe when @Reptofreak babies hatch I can show my hubby how cute they are lol

Right!!! That’s what I told him, But he says he needs a bathroom in his room :rolleyes: City boys. I wouldn’t mind taking the smallest room the reptiles are in now and giving them my room. It get way more nature light and I can maybe turn the bathroom into a parsonii enclosure:unsure:

He says he likes bearded dragons but he’s in no rush for one right now. Maybe when @Reptofreak babies hatch I can show my hubby how cute they are lol

What’s the need for a bathroom in the bedroom? I mean a parsons is a way better use for a bathroom:LOL: I would love to convert a shower into a huge bio enclosure.
I would have a Harry Potter bedroom if I could fill my house with reptiles lol

Back
Top Bottom