Needing some info!

blackbetty

OKay there is ahigh probability that I will be getting a male pygmy tonight from someone who cant have him any longer.. I know NOTHING about this type. Here is what she has told me when i inquired about him and his setup. PLease tell me if this is correct or needs to be adjusted:
THESE ARE HER WORDS
his tank is already set up. these guys r the total oposite of the larger ones they are bottom feeders. so he has his dirt plants and different sizes of branches that he needs to grow his light is a clip on light that has the heat bulb for him and the plants. the only thing i dont have is his food and he eats ffruit flies and half inch crickets.he is only 2 months old.well u r more than welcome to come and see his set up and i got him from exotic reptiles in lousiana when i was visiting my sister i paid 100.00 a piece for them. he has the reptile dirt in the bottom 4 bushles of palm trees on the left side of the tank an angle bush on the upper left corner and a colorful tropical plant in the back left corner 3 different size tree branches and two pieces of tree bark leaning against two of the plants.he is a rhio 2 months old one inch to an inch-n-a half they dont need the uvb studies have shown that the uvb can be deadly for them it puts off too much heat he uses a 40-60wt plant bulb and he getd his nutrition from the fruit flies and cricket dust as soon as i find the cord to my camera i'll send some pics. he has no health problems

-I have yet to see pics and she is pretty eager to be rid of him. I told her Id come tomorrow and she said she'd bring him to me tonight. She does want money but I talked her down to half of what she wanted. She says he is a leaf pygmy. Are those the ones you can get for like $15? She told me he goes for around $200...but thats nutz to me unless he is one of the rares I saw on like Lost Lake or something.. She says Rhio? Thanks!!

Oh and she never did mention what his actual tank/cage was. I asked repeatedly so I have NO idea. That was ALL the info I was given.

I would take her up on the offer to stpo by and check it out. See for yourself. oh and dont bring enough to pay for what shes asking. If you dont have it, she cant dupe you into giving it to her.

Good luck :)

Luis

hm... before you buy anything, go check the cham out and take pics and post them up on here. im kinda confused overall about the message she sent you. but then again who knows? check it out and take some pics. more than likely he doesnt need that heat bulb, but i need more exact information to go much further

p.s why wont she show you any pics?

Last edited:
She wanted 150 for him and his setup..I got her down to 80..

She hasnt gotten back to me tonight..She offered to bring him, which made me wonder if there isnt some health issue and shes trying to get some $$ before he kicks it.. Im so paranoid sine Ive bought a bad cham (NOT ON HERE) locally and it went downhill fast...Ill be doing research on health I guess, if she gets back to me.

make sure she's not bsing on his age, from what i've seen pygmies dont have huge lifespans and if its only a few months old thats kinda strange as well. I would definitely get some pics before paying for anything.

I think I am going to pass.. I cant bring myself to pay $80 for something I feel really wrong about. she sent me pics of his so called setup..and maybe its just me as I dont know what they should be living like..but this just seems poor..
001_1.jpg
014_14.jpg

I have a bad bad feeling...

Good choice on saying no. That looks like a regular little brev and there is no way that set up is worth more than $30. I am glad you avoided being taken. If she is really desperate to be rid of him, she may give him to you for less. Tell her you know that they run around $20 a piece and that the set up isn't worth more than $20. Offer $35 for it all and let your offer sit. If she gets desperate, she will take it. Stress that you would be a good home.

For future reference, pygs DO need UVB- just low, low amounts of it. A used reptisun 5.0 works well as does a reptisun 2.0. Pygs rarely need a heat lamp- if you have one you have to have it be very indirect and there needs to be a very good gradient away from it.

Also, you are right. That set up is no good and would need some MAJOR work if you got it.

Ok forget it. That Cham looks Malnurished, and is a Bearded Pigmy, that do sell for $15. Hmm that setup is week and not worth $80 even without the Chameleon, Your gut feeling is right stick with it.

Whew.. Glad Im making the right choice. I called her out on it right away when she was wanting 150. I told her I can buy them online for 15 with 20 shipping so I need to see a setup worth 115.. and she said she would take 80..and then i started to think about it and just didnt feel right.... I even told her I dont need the setup at all as I have plenty of exoterras lying around from my RedEye.. Thanks for letting me know I did the right thing. Ill email her and let her know Im passing.. Thanks!

Ok I'd pay $20 for the fish tank and $0 for the Cham. But it would be great of you under these sircumstances ONLY!. to attempt to get the little guy back to health and a happy life?
The Tank could always come in usefull for a Roach or Cricket keeper if anything.

Yea well she wasnt thrilled about even getting 80 from me...so I doubt shed forfeit him..People around here dont care about the cham, they care about $$. Like I said,, I felt odd from the getgo..she kept avoiding my questions about supplementing and environment ect...I cannot believe she would think I wouldnt know what leafs go for, or that I would think that setup was anywhere NEAR 115 $ worth? .Here is my email.
I am sorry, I am going to pass. That setup just is not worth it and needs serious correcting. I am not putting you down or anything so please do not find me crass.. I wouldnt even use it and like I said, I can buy the cham for $35 and he doesnt look to be int he best condition anyways.. I just dont trust that he is so young..and chams do need UVB.... Ive consulted with some experts over the pics and it tears me up as I really wanted him and to help, but I would feel really dumb if I paid $80 for that and moreso if he croaked due to health issues.. Im really sorry.. I hope you do find him a nice home though and thank you.

Who knows..maybe she will realize how poorly she has done and can tell I somewhat know and care about chams..somewhat as in know not as in care..:) DOUBT it..and some other sucker willc ome along and be like..WOW that is cool man..and whalka..she has $$ and that sucker has debt and heartache

That is shady. She may have been a reptile flipper- you see that a lot. People will pick up a very cheap or free animal and then try to sell it for a massive profit :(

$200!? I think I might need to dig up on this exotic reptile place..Its so hard because I have a VERY soft heart and want to save everything I can...

Well your getting one of my Baby Jacksons, And I'll tell you these dude's are Chuuubyy! Healthy:)

Looking forward to it when they are ready. The hubby will be thrilled. He sees how I dote on Leo and I think he is jealous. LOL! :)

I shot her an email letting her know if she wants a good home rather than the $$, look me up and included pics of Leo and his setup so she could see Im for Realz. LOL!

Great way to handle that Cham seller. Maybe youll end up with it if she drops the need for cash and just decides it needs a good home. Hope you dont mind I'm posting you a pick of Your Baby Jacks catching a drink of the leave when I misted them tonight;)

I didnt see it? Where? :)
And thank you, I try not be overbearing and come off as rude, but people who believe they are always right see it that way..and Im by NO means saying I know anything about them as I openly admitted I didnt..But I do know that they need a sbetter setup and care than he is obviously getting..

Oh yea, and shes hatching some eggs too. She made a post ont he site she advertised him on that she has 4 babies..yet when I inquired about if she was selling them too, she said she didnt know how many as they hadnt hatched yet and wasnt sure what she was doing with them..Im very concerned...

That whole set up is worth $10.00-including the pyg. At 2 months they would not be eating 1/2" crix but pins-they are still really small at 2 months. There is also alot of debate on using UVB-and I must say that I am far more sucessful not using it. My guys "may" get some low level since they are located next to some of the bigger cham cages.

There is also alot of debate on using UVB-and I must say that I am far more sucessful not using it. My guys "may" get some low level since they are located next to some of the bigger cham cages.

Oh that is really interesting and good to know! Do you use any sort of heating tool on them to provide a gradient? An undertank heater or far away clip lamp?

I wish she sent better pics..those were the better 2 out of the 4..the one of him is so blurred and outta focus so i cant really see anything.. But I already emailed her and maybe she will have a conscience and do the right thing..If not by me, by someone who can take better care of it.:) Im going to bed.. Night!

Back
Top Bottom