For those who haven't witnessed Melleri displays!!

That is soooo cool!! I had no idea that the flaps on their head actually moved like that..reminds me of tiny elephant ears and his colors are amazing!
Thanks for sharing :)

That is soooo cool!! I had no idea that the flaps on their head actually moved like that..reminds me of tiny elephant ears and his colors are amazing!
Thanks for sharing :)

Thanks!! I love Melleri....the first time I saw this display, my mind immediately went to elephants as well!!!

When I first introduced my male gracilior (the one I showed you) to the mother of your baby, he was incredibly rude and over excited. He had her down on her back in the middle of a ficus trying to gore her--when she was receptive, too! I ended up letting them both calm down and put him in her cage and he bred her pretty quickly for a clumsy first timer. He did still poke her side with his horns. He's learned to be a little more polite, but I still watch him like a hawk when I first introduce him to her. Maybe it is just over excited behavior?

I had read--don't know if this is true at all--that mellers tend to live in groups of many females and a single male, which was why there are so few males imported. The collectors just strip all the animals from the one bush/tree, so get a disproportionate number of females. I don't know if that is true or not. Have your animals been DNA sexed so you are sure of their sexes?

I just love their flaps. Your videos don't show how softly they can flap. One day, Joel, one day when I don't have the quad quads, a Mellers should come to live with me.

That's a lot of very large chams to take care of! What do you have for enclosures? I would love to get one someday but right now I just don't have the room. Would you share some more pics?

I had them split up in multiple rooms in my house, all on free range situations. Except for a couple that just didn't do well free ranging. Right now, I have them free ranged in one room of my house while my outside building is being completed.

My three older brothers are all engineers and they are helping me construct the building right now. It is 25'x20' and will house nothing but my Melleri. It is climate controlled and right now they are devising a plan to make my rain system work!! I want to be able to simulate various weather patterns inside the building....so they have been so patient with me while I have been fussy about drainage and water temperature and all that good stuff. I can't wait until it gets finished so I can unveil it!!

One day, Joel, one day when I don't have the quad quads, a Mellers should come to live with me.

Hopefully, Janet, when that time comes....I can offer you a CB melleri!!!

I have read information about the higher ratio of females to males being imported as well. I'm not sure what to believe honestly. I know that Melleri do well in groups for the most part....but I have never seen pictures or any documentation of Melleri grouping year round. There just isn't an awful lot of information out there on this species in my opinion....at least not in comparison to others.

I had them split up in multiple rooms in my house, all on free range situations. Except for a couple that just didn't do well free ranging. Right now, I have them free ranged in one room of my house while my outside building is being completed.

My three older brothers are all engineers and they are helping me construct the building right now. It is 25'x20' and will house nothing but my Melleri. It is climate controlled and right now they are devising a plan to make my rain system work!! I want to be able to simulate various weather patterns inside the building....so they have been so patient with me while I have been fussy about drainage and water temperature and all that good stuff. I can't wait until it gets finished so I can unveil it!!
Wow, that's amazing! Please post a bunch of pictures when it's done!!

Back
Top Bottom