Meet Daffodil! (Daffie) Also need some advice for an egg-laying bin!

Raymond1412

Established Member
Hello Everyone!!! Yesterday, I was surprised with a Veiled Chameleon, and I would like to share her with you all!! 🦎
Daffie is an adult female Veiled Chameleon. The breeders are pretty sure she is around 1 1/2 years old or so. She looks healthy, she's been eating, urinating, and basking, but I haven't seen a #2 yet. I was intrigued when I got sent a picture of her from a friend at a reptile show. I have NEVER seen a Veiled chameleon with such vibrant orange-yellow spots!!! Daffie also has the cutest yellowish-orange tongue, (I hope that is normal!) I included a link for a video of her eating down below. Lmk if it works! Daffie is SUPER friendly, and she climbed right onto my arm when she first saw me. I will say that she is a little shy when it comes to feeding time, but that is pretty normal considering I got her yesterday. Since Daffie is a 1 1/2-year-old female, I am going to get an egg bin. I am just not experienced, as the only other female Veiled I had was a baby. Do you guys have any recommendations for a bin? I am also wondering how to get the Dubia roaches to move in the little cup so Daffie can eat them. I have tried wiggling the cup, but the dubias stop moving after a couple of seconds.

IMPROVEMENTS I've made to my enclosure since my last chameleon:
1. I added a dripper system! Gotta keep those chammies hydrated! 🚰
2. I changed my ceramic heat lamp to a heat lamp with a bulb (The ceramic heat lamps with no light aren't as warm!)
3. I got rid of the substrate- the bottom layer was supposed to be little pellets that would absorb water, and the top layer was supposed to be dirt. It was just too muddy for all the bottom plants and very stinky.

IMPROVEMENTS I still need to make:
1. I need to get something lightweight and non-flammable to raise the heat lamp because right now it is just on top of two bamboo sticks, and when Daffie is basking, she is about 4-5 inches away from the bulb. However, Daffie is a crazy chammie and keeps trying to climb the top screen where her heat lamp is 🤨 I'm worried she is going to burn herself! Any suggestions?
2. MORE PLANTS!!! I have so many plants already, but It doesn't hurt to add more foliage!!!
3. Maybe a vine or two towards the bottom of the enclosure just in case she needs to get lower and cool down for a bit!

Here is the link to the video: The name that says shared is not my name, I think there was a glitch! (Also not her enclosure, that is her travel/transport one we used to get her to me)

Now here are some pictures of Daffie!!! 😊
Daffie Eating a Bug!

unnamed (4).jpg
unnamed (5).jpg
unnamed (6).jpg

Daffie Looks a little bloated when she is basking. Daffie looking out and planning her escape (field trip!) Daffie Exploring her new terrain! (also a field trip!)

unnamed.png

This is Daffie when she was at the reptile show.
(Not my enclosure) And don't mind her little friend
in the bottom left corner! (The brown chammie isn't mine!)

Hi and congrats on the new addition. Just want to drop this line real quick bc Your new girl is showing gravid colors and will need a lay bin in the enclosure ASAP. I would also prepare for her having fertile eggs if she has been housed with that male in the picture. I need to gather more info for you so that will take me some time…

Hi. :) Daffodil is beautiful, but looks gravid to me. The brown chameleon in the pic is a male. Do you have any idea how long she was in with him? They might have mated, in which case her eggs will be fertile. This will help you with the lay bin and so much more. Did they say how much and how often they were feeding her? https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/veiled-chameleon-laying-101.2488/

Hi and congrats on the new addition. Just want to drop this line real quick bc Your new girl is showing gravid colors and will need a lay bin in the enclosure ASAP. I would also prepare for her having fertile eggs if she has been housed with that male in the picture. I need to gather more info for you so that will take me some time…
I'm pretty sure she wasn't housed with the male. She was only in the enclosure with the male for the show. I will try and get a box as soon as I can!

Hi. :) Daffodil is beautiful, but looks gravid to me. The brown chameleon in the pic is a male. Do you have any idea how long she was in with him? They might have mated, in which case her eggs will be fertile. This will help you with the lay bin and so much more. Did they say how much and how often they were feeding her? https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/veiled-chameleon-laying-101.2488/
They were feeding her 2-3 bugs every other day. I don't think she was housed with him that long, the reptile show was only a few hours. I will check out the link you provided! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom