Merging two Reptibreeze XLs together with 3D Printing

DeremensisBlue

Chameleon Enthusiast
Site Sponsor
Many of you know I have been working on how we can give our chameleons bigger living spaces. I finally finished designing all the merge plates that can be 3D printed to cleanly connect two Reptibreeze XL cages. The plates fill in the gap between the cages from the pan head screw heads and allow free swinging of the latches and hinges. I know, I know, just cut out coroplast and mend it together...but I was hoping to be able to come up with a nicer solution! I know not everyone has a 3D printer, but many do and many know someone who does have one. So I am hoping this is helpful to a number of you.

There are a lot of plates to print because I wanted to keep them 200mm or under to be as compatible as possible with the diversity of printers out there. And, yes, I am sorry for the people with the new Bambu mini under the tree. It is an incredibly awesome machine, but it only goes up to 180mm :(. But if you got the brand new A1 (such as just arrived at Chameleon Academy headquarters!) then you are fine! Anyway, if you have a smaller build volume then it would just take a little tweaking to make it work.

I am sorry that the picture of the final job is pretty messed up. I have been modifying these two XLs so many times I have given up trying to make them look presentable!

front plates.jpg

Obviously, there are plates for all four seams!
Anyway, the print downloads are free. I am including free 3D print projects in each issue of the Chameleon Academy Journal digital magazine. You can find the print downloads with instructions in the Dec 2023 issue on pages 30-35. (There is also a 2oz feeder cup submitted by Mikey Ben)

Of course, you are welcome to enjoy the rest of the magazine as well. It is best read on a quiet weekend morning with a cup of coffee and read at full screen size!
Click the image below to go to the Journal page, select the Dec 2023 issue, and then hit the expand button in the lower right corner. Then you can flip through the magazine. The links inside the magazine are clickable and you can watch videos from the new iPardalis podcast. I have articles on small batch breeding, using bioactive with chameleons, a history of chameleon caging, announcing the new line of Chameleon Academy enclosures, an interview with Clint Laidlaw of Clint's Reptiles (and you get to see @elizaann2 !), and the show schedule for the iPardalis podcast with Jonathan Hill @Dridrop12 !

If you do print this project, please let me know how it goes and if you ran into any issues. It does require the purchase of a bunch of 3/8" #8 screws to do the merging. There is a link in the instructions if you need to buy them. Let me know how it goes!

Chameleon Academy Journal

Dec Jan 2023 Issue B .jpg

Back
Top Bottom