Veiled buried under dirt while laying eggs!

Chameo555

My veiled is actively laying her 4th clutch right now.
Earlier today, she started to dig in her big plant. She has a perfectly made lay bin right next to the plant, but chose to dig in the plant(she did this on her 2nd clutch too). When I checked on her hours later, I didn't see her or a tunnel! I dug around and found her completely buried. ? I dug her out and she was barely moving and black. I rinsed her off with warm water which seemed to stun her back to reality, and she started to move more. She drank some water and took 4 huge puffs of breath, and her color returned. She stayed on my hand for a good 5 minutes very still and coming around. She wouldn't eat any crickets.

I noticed she still had a big egg belly, so I put her in the lay bin(instead of the plant), and she wouldn't stay in there. I patted down the plant soil and added a bunch of the lay bin mixture and put her back down on the plant dirt. She's pretty weak- definitely not digging as strongly as she has in the past- but has started digging again in the plant. I can also see a few of her eggs on top of the soil. I have the light on and her heat lamp on, because she felt really cold.

Has this happened to anyone before?? Is there anything other than monitoring her as discreetly as possible that I should/shouldn't do?

Here's the latest picture of her.
The mess is from when I transferred some lay bin mixture to the plant soil.
0225201639a.jpg

Attachments

• 0225201639a.jpg
    0225201639a.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 141
I'm wary of disturbing her. Do you suggest interrupting her and helping her out? I'd have to get really close to her and don't want to spook her.

I always dig a started hole for my girls.

I hope your girl will be ok.
I took your advice and dug a starter tunnel for her. When I got home today, the tunnel entrance was covered over with dirt, and her belly was gone! Thank you for the tip! ?
Her color has mostly come back, although her skin is dull and dry from being in the dirt, but she's climbing her main branch and her eyes look healthy. She won't eat anything yet, but I'll give her some time before worrying about that.

Back
Top Bottom