URGENT EGG LAYING

Z33

My Veiled Chameleon had veen acting suspiciously last few days constantly exploring bottom around her habitat. Low and behold we discovered her digging in her large live decor, potted plant. So she has been digging since this afternoon today and I've left her alone quiet and covered. But I don't have a lay bin in their with the playsand or the organic soil. It is now late evening, almost midnight. I'm low key panicing internally because she chose to dig in the potted plan and I'm worried she'll keep digging and never lay and be squished up in the narrow spot between the wall and roots of the plant. It wasn't meant to be layed in. Do I give her time? How much time? Do I add a lay bin? I'm worried about disturbing her if I have to move plant over to get bin inside, they both take up cage space.

Attachments

• IMG-20230929-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20230929-WA0002.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 36
Hi. First off…relax and breathe. Little momma can somehow manage to lay her eggs in a potted plant…I don’t know how they do it, but it has been done. If that’s where she has chosen, do not…DO NOT disturb her for anything less than the house being on fire. She must have absolute and complete privacy. If she sees anyone, she may stop digging and risks for becoming eggbound increase. Cover the lower portion of her enclosure if need be and if you can do it so she won’t notice. Don’t worry about feeding her. For water, if you don’t have a system already in place, you can put some ice cubes on top of the enclosure to melt & drip down. She may not even have interest in drinking. In about another day, she should be finished. You’ll know when she’s done when she’s basking, looking thin and she’s covered up completely whatever holes she made. Feed and hydrate her very well for a couple of days. Then start her on a diet of 3-4 feeders, 3 days a week and keep her basking temp no higher than 80. You do need to remove and count the eggs. Hopefully there aren’t many. 20 or less is ideal. Over 40 is a lot. Over 60 and it’s insane! Then you need to prepare a proper lay bin and keep it in her enclosure at all times. I found my girls prefer larger bins of at least 12” long, wide and deep. I drill some tiny drainage holes on the bottom and fill to 6” deep with washed play sand. When you know she’s near to laying, make sure it is moist enough all the way thru and can hold a tunnel without collapse.

Hi. First off…relax and breathe. Little momma can somehow manage to lay her eggs in a potted plant…I don’t know how they do it, but it has been done. If that’s where she has chosen, do not…DO NOT disturb her for anything less than the house being on fire. She must have absolute and complete privacy. If she sees anyone, she may stop digging and risks for becoming eggbound increase. Cover the lower portion of her enclosure if need be and if you can do it so she won’t notice. Don’t worry about feeding her. For water, if you don’t have a system already in place, you can put some ice cubes on top of the enclosure to melt & drip down. She may not even have interest in drinking. In about another day, she should be finished. You’ll know when she’s done when she’s basking, looking thin and she’s covered up completely whatever holes she made. Feed and hydrate her very well for a couple of days. Then start her on a diet of 3-4 feeders, 3 days a week and keep her basking temp no higher than 80. You do need to remove and count the eggs. Hopefully there aren’t many. 20 or less is ideal. Over 40 is a lot. Over 60 and it’s insane! Then you need to prepare a proper lay bin and keep it in her enclosure at all times. I found my girls prefer larger bins of at least 12” long, wide and deep. I drill some tiny drainage holes on the bottom and fill to 6” deep with washed play sand. When you know she’s near to laying, make sure it is moist enough all the way thru and can hold a tunnel without collapse.
Thank-you so much for your kind advice. She's pushed a pile of soil out of the pot though, will she be able to get it back in on her own? I do have her cage almost completely covered with a light dark, black blanket. Her lights are currently off now because of night time. She does have a proper water system installed where she can go to drink. Should I be concerned if she lays under 20 eggs?

I forgot…if for some reason she abandons the plant and is restlessly looking for somewhere else, then you need to put a lay bin in immediately.
She was completely restless last few days going to the bottom of the cage around the plant. It wasn't until we covered her cage with a blanket that we noticed her digging in the plant. Im going to give her more time with the plant tomorrow, keep this chat updated should anything change or if time goes by. And see if and when I need to switch and add lay bin.

She was completely restless last few days going to the bottom of the cage around the plant. It wasn't until we covered her cage with a blanket that we noticed her digging in the plant. Im going to give her more time with the plant tomorrow, keep this chat updated should anything change or if time goes by. And see if and when I need to switch and add lay bin.
I currently have a female brevicorne that for the last couple of days has dug a few test holes in her bin and has been ALL over her enclosure from top to bottom and front to back lol

Thank-you so much for your kind advice. She's pushed a pile of soil out of the pot though, will she be able to get it back in on her own? I do have her cage almost completely covered with a light dark, black blanket. Her lights are currently off now because of night time. She does have a proper water system installed where she can go to drink. Should I be concerned if she lays under 20 eggs?
She’ll move the soil around and find a way to cover it all up. She’ll make do with the soil that’s left. She may sleep in her tunnel. Do make sure there’s some air flow for her. Under 20 eggs is great and a goal. Let her rest up and recover for a day or so before removing the plant and eggs.
I’m a night shifter and won’t be around tomorrow during the day (unless insomnia strikes), but there are lots of super helpful and knowledgeable people who can help.

Hello and welcome! I have some experience with egg laying and can offer some advice. I’ll stick around and do my best to answer any questions you may have.

Hello and welcome! I have some experience with egg laying and can offer some advice. I’ll stick around and do my best to answer any questions you may have.
Thank-you so much! Will definitely keep this chat posted/updated within next 24 hours as this is crucial.

Things to prep for in the meantime:

She will eventually need a lay bin. Do you have one for her? Do you know how to make a proper lay bin?

Just in case you need it do you have an exotic vet with chameleon care experience?

Any updates?
Not much. I shut her lights off at 10pm last night it is now 10am I'm about to go turn her lights on since it'll have been 12 hours. When I quietly checked on her 2 hours ago, she was still in the potted plant with eyes closed sleeping, calm light green and facing opposite direction she was yesterday laying in dirt.

Things to prep for in the meantime:

She will eventually need a lay bin. Do you have one for her? Do you know how to make a proper lay bin?

Just in case you need it do you have an exotic vet with chameleon care experience?
Yes drilling holes into a small plastic bin, I can send you a picture of soon. With the mixture of the sand and organic soil, I forget how much percentage wise and mixed with warm water. My problem I usually have with it is getting the moisture to stay within the bin when it's so clumped and compacted. I do have an exotics vet but she is only there Mondays through Weds. I spoke to one of the vets who has treated and had reptile/chameleon experience on Friday with what to look out for during this egg laying process. I take my chameleon in Monday.

Yes drilling holes into a small plastic bin, I can send you a picture of soon. With the mixture of the sand and organic soil, I forget how much percentage wise and mixed with warm water. My problem I usually have with it is getting the moisture to stay within the bin when it's so clumped and compacted. I do have an exotics vet but she is only there Mondays through Weds. I spoke to one of the vets who has treated and had reptile/chameleon experience on Friday with what to look out for during this egg laying process. I take my chameleon in Monday.
You want a 50/50 mixture of the play sand and organic soil. Make it wet enough that your hand can create tunnels in the mixture without it collapsing but you don’t want it drenched. I keep mine moist when in the enclosure by occasionally placing my dripper over it. If you mist and fog at night that won’t be often.

Another update, it is 1:00pm, checked on her, she is still tightly squeezed digging in that corner. I dont think she's come up to drink at all. We have an automated filtered leaf holding water dripping fountain up top for her. We had gotten her this because she wasnt getting enough water from her previous dripper and it was inconsistent. Should I mist the top a bit? When should I add a lay bin? I dont know when and when not to disturb her.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230930_132036_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230930_132036_Google.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 32
If she is still down in her hole leave her there and down disturb her. You can add ice cubes on the top of her enclosure to offer some drinking opportunities, but I wouldn’t do anything that would mess with the inside of your enclosure right now.

Unfortunately, that dripper system is known to breed bacteria. I would honestly suggest looking at your hydration system and changing that so she gets the hydration she needs without using something like that.

If she is still down in her hole leave her there and down disturb her. You can add ice cubes on the top of her enclosure to offer some drinking opportunities, but I wouldn’t do anything that would mess with the inside of your enclosure right now.

Unfortunately, that dripper system is known to breed bacteria. I would honestly suggest looking at your hydration system and changing that so she gets the hydration she needs without using something like that.
What do recommend regarding hydration system? What do you use? And it has a filter and a sponge, if we are consistant cleaning it, we can avoid that I'd think.

Back
Top Bottom