URGENT EGG LAYING

What color are your rates last time she pooped?
What do recommend regarding hydration system? What do you use? And it has a filter and a sponge, if we are consistant cleaning it, we can avoid that I'd think.
Ya it will only clean so well. I actually started with the same thing you have. My current hydration system is:
10:00 mist enclosure
12:00 am to 6:00 am fog for 30 minutes on and 30 minute off
7:30 am mist enclosure
3:00 add dripper

We have recently found that chameleons get their hydration from breathing in the fog at night. You will want a temperature of 68° or lower at night to safely fog and then 80 to 100% humidity depending on where you live you may need to adjust what you use and how you use it to maintain the specific hydration method. For example, I live in a very dry hot state so the above method works perfect for me, my Chameleons are all nice and hydrated, and I rarely rarely see them drink.

White and yellow. Not much brown. But could've been hidden in the pot. We check the bottom frequently.
She sounds nice and hydrated to me. I wouldn’t stress too much on that, just add the ice cubes at the top of the enclosure and let them drip down. You can also take a plastic cup and poke a hole through it to have that be your drip system as well if you don’t want to use ice cubes.

Since she’s working in a rather confined space and one that is probably deeper than a standard lay bin, it may take her a little extra time to get everything done. As long as she’s still digging or doing stuff in her chosen area though, let her to it undisturbed. When she is actually laying the eggs, her head will be poking out of the hole. I would put that vet visit on hold if it means removing her from her working.

Since she’s working in a rather confined space and one that is probably deeper than a standard lay bin, it may take her a little extra time to get everything done. As long as she’s still digging or doing stuff in her chosen area though, let her to it undisturbed. When she is actually laying the eggs, her head will be poking out of the hole. I would put that vet visit on hold if it means removing her from her working.
The vet visit isnt scheduled until Monday and it's Saturday. Im hoping she will have passed them before tomorrow.

Update: My Chameleon is now above the cage. Do I just wait 24 hours? Feed her? Can I shut her light off normal time?

Do I uncover her, mist? Can I assume she's laid all the eggs? I don't want to disturb her still. I'm sure she's worn out.

Update picture I'm wondering if I need to move her heat lamp closer for tomorrow. Again guys this is her first laying and my first experience with this. I have shut her light off though like normal time of night, she has her water source. Ive kept her healthy up until this point and I'd like to continue to do so. Please give me instruction for start of tomorrow. I'd like to try to offer her supplemented food, and gently mist. I dont think I should touch the eggs until tomorrow evening right?

Attachments

• 20230930_220524.jpg
    20230930_220524.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 42
Did she cover up where she was digging? She might just be returning to her branches to sleep. Keep your regular schedule with lights and everything. In the morning, give her time and see if she returns to laying or stays on the branch.

Reactions: Z33
Did she cover up where she was digging? She might just be returning to her branches to sleep. Keep your regular schedule with lights and everything. In the morning, give her time and see if she returns to laying or stays on the branch.
Okay thank you

Goodmorning! New pic updates of my chameleon. I checked and the spot where she had been digging is now fully covered over from last night. It appears she did go to the bathroom a bit on her branch if you can make it out in the picture. I think I'm going to offer her some food and mist a little.

Attachments

• 20231001_100625.jpg
    20231001_100625.jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 20231001_100632.jpg
    20231001_100632.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 31
Goodmorning! New pic updates of my chameleon. I checked and the spot where she had been digging is now fully covered over from last night. It appears she did go to the bathroom a bit on her branch if you can make it out in the picture. I think I'm going to offer her some food and mist a little.
Fantastic news!

Now that your beautiful little girl has laid her eggs let’s do a husbandry review and see if we can help you with your hydration system.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem -

She ate 5 Dubua roaches with Repashy Calicum Plus vitamins I didnt want to give her too much.

Attachments

• 20231001_101651.jpg
    20231001_101651.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 35
Now that your beautiful little girl has laid her eggs let’s do a husbandry review and see if we can help you with your hydration system.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Current Problem -
My Chameleon: 2.5 yr old Veiled Chameleon, Gender: Was technically unknown however the Vet and I suspected Female due to her appearance, and I've treated her as female for those years. Even had a lay bin in there up until last October. There is a reason for that but for another story time. She has been in my care for over 2 years. We brought her home at when we believed her to have been 6 months old. I bought her at a pet store I used to work at, she was the favorite of the store, well beloved. I now work at a Vet clinic myself.
Handling: I do not handle my chameleon, I give her plenty of space, I do NOT tweezer feed her. I do however semi hand feed her with a small plastic bowl/plate. I prefer to have to handle her only via cage care and vet visit as minimal as possible so as not to caus stress. She does not prefer to be handled.
Feeding and Supplements: I feed my Cham Dubia roaches 5/8-3/4 inches. The amount varies, anywhere between 6-8 roaches every other day or every other 2 days. The feeders are gut loaded with carrot. I dont give the feeders supplement because they would keep dieing. Example: my large crickets especially. I supplement my cham by dusting the feeders with Repashy Vitamin A, Reptivite, Calcium plus with vitamin D, or Calcium without Vitamin D. I give this once a week and every other week. I have a reptile calender of my feeding days and with which supplements I can take a picture of later. She'll eat once a day every other day. Sometimes every other 2 days.
Water: Prior to egg laying she had a dripper that for years was great but was giving us issues, with the flow, not getting onto the leaves as much, it'd either drain out too fast, or lil to not at all, she would actually go to the bottom to drink the water and we didnt want that. So we found that water leaf fountain picture I attached in previous chat from Amazon and we have seen her drink from it. I'm thinking of including the dripper along with the foubtain. We do mist 2-3 times a day with warm water mixed with repti-safe.
Fecal: She has never been tested for parasites. She's always gone a lot of urate and fecal. It's usually yellow and white and brown. The time we had noiced orange was when she wasn't getting enough from the dripper and the misting was only doing so much so we msited more often in that period of time and she went back to normal with the fountain added in.
History: Not really. Ive had her 2 years. She wasnt in pet store for long, we took her home within 1-3 weeks of her arrival or so. She was last seen by a vet 2 years ago and diagnosed as healthy. She's always been healthy, eating, drinking, defecating, urinating normally. We have upgraded her habitat several times. And communicated with a vet over the years and experienced ones.

Last edited:

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

Current Problem -
Cage info: It is the reptibreeze I think it is the 30inch 16inch 30inch, it was one of the biggest one. We went to Reptile Expo and bought a ton of stuff for her upgrade and confirmed our current set up is excellent according to 2 vets.
Lighting and temp:
We have one dome lamp in there with a red -either between 50-70 watt I cant remember but I have the bulb box it came in. Our room runs hot so we went with low wattage. We keep her between 70-80 degrees per vet. Different sides of the cage. We do have a temp gun. She has a long uvb panel/bulb I cant remember which wattage right now but I make sure to check it is good with a uv sensor card and it's never failed me. Thus far. I do keep up with replacing bulbs. It runs between 65-70 degrees at night. Coldes maybe mid 50's.
Humidity: 50's. I monitor with a humidity room monitor it's magnetic, next to cage. It's extremely accurate.
Plants: Large umbrella plant. Fake vines and real, cleaned, branches. Only few leaves fake on the hanging decor. I prefer real.

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

Current Problem -
Placement- It is located in the corner of a room, quiet, not near fans, not near windows, not near vents. It is near some high traffic area entrance, across from a bathroom on other side of the door however it tends to be quiet, we can keep door close as well. She has privacy. The cage has gotta be maybe 3-4ft off the floor.
Geographically: information not needed.

Also are Cat Palm house plants, Fiddle leaf fig house plants or schefflera plants safe for chameleons?

Back
Top Bottom