Is she egg bound?

I started teaching high school life science this year and was "gifted" a chameleon for my classroom (more or less it was abandoned in my room). I know little to nothing about reptiles. Within the last couple of weeks her demeanor has really started to change, and not in a good way. She has always preferred her privacy, but she's been extra sensitive lately. She's also started digging a hole in the bottom of her cage. My husband and I are in the middle of building her a new enclosure because the one that came with her has rocks, mud, ect (a great breeding ground for bacteria). My theories are that she's dehydrated, egg bound, or has a bacterial issue.

Overall, here is a summer of my observations:
  1. extra irritable
  2. not eating (maybe 1 cricket a day... maybe)
  3. digging a hole at the bottom of her cage
  4. bloated stomach
  5. closes left eye for extended periods of time
  6. more frequently brown instead of her normal bright green/blue

I started teaching high school life science this year and was "gifted" a chameleon for my classroom (more or less it was abandoned in my room). I know little to nothing about reptiles. Within the last couple of weeks her demeanor has really started to change, and not in a good way. She has always preferred her privacy, but she's been extra sensitive lately. She's also started digging a hole in the bottom of her cage. My husband and I are in the middle of building her a new enclosure because the one that came with her has rocks, mud, ect (a great breeding ground for bacteria). My theories are that she's dehydrated, egg bound, or has a bacterial issue.

Overall, here is a summer of my observations:
  1. extra irritable
  2. not eating (maybe 1 cricket a day... maybe)
  3. digging a hole at the bottom of her cage
  4. bloated stomach
  5. closes left eye for extended periods of time
  6. more frequently brown instead of her normal bright green/blue
Hello and welcome, I’m sorry this is happening to your girl! It definitely sounds like she is gravid and wanting to lay eggs! Do you have a lay bin?

If you see her continuing to dig, leave her be, we want her to lay them as smoothly as possible.
Do you have a good reptile vet in your area? I can get @elizaann2 to share the vet list if needed.

Would you also be able to fill out this husbandry form?

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem -

Photos are very helpful so if you could share some that would be awesome.

Hi, it definitely sounds like she is gravid and looking to lay her eggs. She will need a lay bin similar to this. Reduced eating at this time is normal but the closed eyes is a concern.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210927-223836_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210927-223836_Gallery.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 8
Can you post some pics of her and her enclosure, including the lights? It would be ideal if you could answer all of the questions above so we could get a more complete idea of her condition and a better idea of if she will even be able to lay eggs without veterinary care. However, if you could at the least let us know the following, that would be a huge help.
- What type of chameleon is she?
- What type of uvb does she have?
- What is her basking temperature?
- How much is she fed and how often?
- What supplements are you using and how often for each one?
- What is her approximate age?
- Have you provided her a lay bin?
- How long has she been digging?
- What is your general location? *we can help find a good vet usually.

Back
Top Bottom