Laying eggs or sheding?

mfdelpicchia

Hello guys.

Has been few days now that my veiled cham shows lack of appetitte. And her colours are a bit doul....

I was wondering. If she is ready for lay eggs, i already put a big countainer on the bottom of the cage so she can go there.
Or she is showing signs of sheding?

I have her for about 3 weeks. And has been some busy week for her. We brought her on a smalll set up, change for a nice big enclousure after a week... so she is still adapting... but she always eat pretty well. But has been 2 days now. She is not interested in food..

Enclousure has the correct temp and humitidy, uvb is a T5, 10.0. Fog at night...

So now I am not sure.. we have done all for her ao she can be ok..

So ehat u guys think? Stress? Egg? Sheeding?

Attachments

• 20240418_115516.jpg
    20240418_115516.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 6
Hi and welcome,

It looks like she's start to shed. How old is she? You got her from a store or other owner? Do have another picture of her left rear leg? In the picture is looks pretty suspicious to me and hopefully it's just the picture.

Btw. a lovely young lady :love:

I got her from a pet store.. but they give me all wrong info.. the guy said she has 3 months old. But other perstore told me she is probably around 6-8 months due the size.

I give her calcium daily with food and vitaminns, 2 a month

The first 2 pics were taken yesterday, 20 min apart. The others just now

Attachments

• IMG-20240418-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20240418-WA0018.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-20240418-WA0019.jpg
    IMG-20240418-WA0019.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240418_131650.jpg
    20240418_131650.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240418_131557.jpg
    20240418_131557.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240418_131532.jpg
    20240418_131532.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 8
I would say the age range of 6-8 months is correct. She’s not showing typical gravid colors or pattern. To me it looks like a burn vs shedding. What are the temps? Can you take a pic of ur set up, lights included.

Hello there.

So that is the set up.. basking temp between 82-85c

Uvb lights are t5, 10.0

To be honest she just eat a big moria worm now.. and is very active tdy.

Attachments

• 20240418_165808.jpg
    20240418_165808.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240418_165821.jpg
    20240418_165821.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240418_165412.jpg
    20240418_165412.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240418_165509.jpg
    20240418_165509.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 4
Hi and welcome. :) Your little lady isn’t showing any gravid coloration or patterns as far as I can see. I do see that like @Sonny13 was concerned, her left back leg does look like she possibly may have had a fracture just below the knee. Coming from a pet store, it could have been from rough handling. Of course, without an x ray this is just what I think and suspect. Even if the bone is fractured, there really is not much that could be done. I will just say to limit handling of her to only when it is necessary. The color along her entire back is also possibly something, but I’m not sure what. The first thing we think of is a burn. It could be the start of shedding, but I honestly don’t know from just pics. It is something that you’ll just need to keep watch on to see if and how it may change. If it is a burn, a vet visit would be needed.
Your enclosure looks great, but I do see some fake plants that should be removed. Our ladies especially like to nibble their plants, which is why it’s very important that they all be safe and real. It only takes one nibble of a fake leaf to cause a bowel obstruction.
Your uvb is too strong, so you will need to make sure that the distance between basking area and the light is about 10-11”. When you replace the bulb, get a 5.0 or 6% strength. I’d like to ask about your multivitamin. What brand/type is it? Maybe post a pic of it. I just want to make sure that it has vitamin D3.
It looks like you’ve done some good research for taking proper care of your little cutie and that is always awesome. 😄 I don’t know if you’ve seen my blog on caring for our veiled ladies, but it may help you. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/veiled-chameleon-laying-101.2488/
I’m very glad that you have found your way here. :)

Hi and welcome. :) Your little lady isn’t showing any gravid coloration or patterns as far as I can see. I do see that like @Sonny13 was concerned, her left back leg does look like she possibly may have had a fracture just below the knee. Coming from a pet store, it could have been from rough handling. Of course, without an x ray this is just what I think and suspect. Even if the bone is fractured, there really is not much that could be done. I will just say to limit handling of her to only when it is necessary. The color along her entire back is also possibly something, but I’m not sure what. The first thing we think of is a burn. It could be the start of shedding, but I honestly don’t know from just pics. It is something that you’ll just need to keep watch on to see if and how it may change. If it is a burn, a vet visit would be needed.
Your enclosure looks great, but I do see some fake plants that should be removed. Our ladies especially like to nibble their plants, which is why it’s very important that they all be safe and real. It only takes one nibble of a fake leaf to cause a bowel obstruction.
Your uvb is too strong, so you will need to make sure that the distance between basking area and the light is about 10-11”. When you replace the bulb, get a 5.0 or 6% strength. I’d like to ask about your multivitamin. What brand/type is it? Maybe post a pic of it. I just want to make sure that it has vitamin D3.
It looks like you’ve done some good research for taking proper care of your little cutie and that is always awesome. 😄 I don’t know if you’ve seen my blog on caring for our veiled ladies, but it may help you. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/veiled-chameleon-laying-101.2488/

Hello there.

So we never handle her much. I took her from the petatore and but her on her firt enclousure. Them i removed ver 1 more time to proper set the first enclousure. And the last time for change her to her new home.

I dont think his leg has any thing. She goes up and down without showing signs of struggle. And tbh today she is pretty actuve going up and down the cage. Firt time she venture to few places.

The fake plants i add just because i thought she was to exposed. I will change it for real one soon. I just do t want to bother her again with this atm... is said because her bed is hiding on the fake plants lol.

The uvb light is not directed to the basking area. But is on another branch that is not as high as the basking one.

Forget to add thw vitamins.

Calcium without d3 and multivitamin has d3.

Regarding the "burn", if was a burn, that would change the colour . When he is relax she get very ligh green and the top of her back get almost white.

Attachments

• 20240418_173905.jpg
    20240418_173905.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240418_175640.jpg
    20240418_175640.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 6
Hello there.

So that is the set up.. basking temp between 82-85c

Uvb lights are t5, 10.0

To be honest she just eat a big moria worm now.. and is very active tdy.
Hold up please confirm are your temps 82-85 celsius? Do you have a temp probe or just a heat gun?

Hold up please confirm are your temps 82-85 celsius? Do you have a temp probe or just a heat gun?
Lol.. no no. Not celsios.. celsius is around 28-30 at basking point. And overall around 22-25c
In the night temp drops to 15-19c

I have thermometers in the cage. 1 close to top and another 1 in The middle of the cage

Lol.. no no. Not celsios.. celsius is around 28-30 at basking point. And overall around 22-25c
In the night temp drops to 15-19c

I have thermometers in the cage. 1 close to top and another 1 in The middle of the cage
Ok what wattage heat bulb are you using. Because I agree it looks more like a burn. Per the temp at basking it should be no hotter than 25-26C for a female. Your looking for an ambient cage temp of 21-23 C.

Is your gauge connected to a probe at the basking branch below the heat? This is the only way to get an accurate temp at basking. Using the gun you will only get surface temp.

Regarding the "burn", if was a burn, that would change the colour . When he is relax she get very ligh green and the top of her back get almost white.
Yes, if that is a burn along her back, it won’t turn green like the rest of her body. :( It might also be something like a fungal infection. It’s difficult to determine from your pics exactly what it is. I can only see that the coloring along her back doesn’t look right.
I’m not familiar with your brand of supplements, but they appear to be correct and on the correct schedule.

Ok what wattage heat bulb are you using. Because I agree it looks more like a burn. Per the temp at basking it should be no hotter than 25-26C for a female. Your looking for an ambient cage temp of 21-23 C.

Is your gauge connected to a probe at the basking branch below the heat? This is the only way to get an accurate temp at basking. Using the gun you will only get surface temp.

The heat bulb is 50w,

I dont have a prob, just the lader thermometer amd other 2 regular ones on the cage...

The cafe temp is pretty much spot on. I will get a prob amd connect on basking branch..

The heat bulb is 50w,

I dont have a prob, just the lader thermometer amd other 2 regular ones on the cage...

The cafe temp is pretty much spot on. I will get a prob amd connect on basking branch..
what type of bulb is it? Is it a focused heat bulb with a flat bottom or is it a regular incandescent bulb that has the round bottom?

That was exactly my concern 😎👌🏻✌🏻. However, don’t see any obvious signs on the other pictures, luckily.

Yes, if that is a burn along her back, it won’t turn green like the rest of her body. :( It might also be something like a fungal infection. It’s difficult to determine from your pics exactly what it is. I can only see that the coloring along her back doesn’t look right.
I’m not familiar with your brand of supplements, but they appear to be correct and on the correct schedule.

Yeah. UK ee dont have as much options as USA... hornworms for example, illegal here.

I will get her to a vet asap to check what this can be☹️. Get bit concern now.. that can be UVB burn as well?

I got her from a pet store.. but they give me all wrong info.. the guy said she has 3 months old. But other perstore told me she is probably around 6-8 months due the size.

I give her calcium daily with food and vitaminns, 2 a month

The first 2 pics were taken yesterday, 20 min apart. The others just now
Perfect, luckily it confirms nothing is off with her leg. In the picture it looked like a possible fracture. And in the meantime you’re in perfect care of two wonderful and experienced keepers 👌🏻

Yeah. UK ee dont have as much options as USA... hornworms for example, illegal here.

I will get her to a vet asap to check what this can be☹️. Get bit concern now.. that can be UVB burn as well?
I’m betting unfinished shed due improper care at the pet store. And it will go away after her next shed, now she’s in good care. But, better close up picture could tell us more.

I’m betting unfinished shed due improper care at the pet store. And it will go away after her next shed, now she’s in good care. But, better close up picture could tell us more.
Will get a proper picture tmrw.. the lady already went to bed...

And i wont even get started wirh the petstore that i got her... the guy said " u need to take her out of the cage everyday so she dont get bored", not mention the other bu ch of wrong info...

Back
Top Bottom