Old Cham, is she ok?

She won’t take her medicine because she won’t open her mouth lol, how can I get her to? I tried misting her because sometimes that works but nothing

Edit: put her back in her enclosure and pretended to take her out again, she got mad and hissed and I got the calcium in hahah

Last edited:
She won’t take her medicine because she won’t open her mouth lol, how can I get her to? I tried misting her because sometimes that works but nothing

Edit: put her back in her enclosure and pretended to take her out again, she got mad and hissed and I got the calcium in hahah
Ya it can be tricky sometimes, here’s a diagram of a chameleons mouth for reference where you should aim when giving the meds.
When I do my girls medication I just sometimes wave something gently in front of her to try and get a hissing reaction.
IMG_3279.jpeg

Sadly still no signs of her laying. She’s just back to the bottom of the enclosure. It says the calcium needs to be given every 12 hours but since it took us a while this morning it’ll be closer to 10 hours- is that ok?

I wasn’t able to give her her medicine tonight. She wouldn’t open her mouth, it’s like she wasn’t even fighting me to come out :(

I hate to ask, but do people euthanize their chameleons? I just see her struggling to even grasp onto a branch when I put her back in the enclosure, I can’t imagine how she’s going to lay a bunch of eggs, never mind digging the hole. I just want to do what’s best for her

Last edited:
I wasn’t able to give her her medicine tonight. She wouldn’t open her mouth, it’s like she wasn’t even fighting me to come out :(

I hate to ask, but do people euthanize their chameleons? I just see her struggling to even grasp onto a branch when I put her back in the enclosure, I can’t imagine how she’s going to lay a bunch of eggs, never mind digging the hole. I just want to do what’s best for her
I’m so sorry this is happening to you and her. And yes, I do believe people will humanely euthanize if they deem that it’s the right thing to do. How old is she again? I know it’s sometimes risky but sometimes vets also can spay chameleon if they are struggling to lay eggs as well.

I’m so sorry this is happening to you and her. And yes, I do believe people will humanely euthanize if they deem that it’s the right thing to do. How old is she again? I know it’s sometimes risky but sometimes vets also can spay chameleon if they are struggling to lay eggs as well.
She is 5, and thank you. She has a lot of eggs right now.

Within the last hour, she fell off a branch near the top and was laying upside down on a bottom branch. I burst out crying, I feel so sad for her. When I picked her up and tried administering the medicine again, she just kept her eyes closed. I brought her out to the kitchen and she sparked up a bit and looked more lively.

I wasn’t able to give the medicine and ended up putting her back in the enclosure, on the lay bin.

I have a vet appointment at 10:30am tomorrow morning, and am unsure of what to do or what’s best for her. I am looking for all and anyone’s advice

She is 5, and thank you. She has a lot of eggs right now.

Within the last hour, she fell off a branch near the top and was laying upside down on a bottom branch. I burst out crying, I feel so sad for her. When I picked her up and tried administering the medicine again, she just kept her eyes closed. I brought her out to the kitchen and she sparked up a bit and looked more lively.

I wasn’t able to give the medicine and ended up putting her back in the enclosure, on the lay bin.

I have a vet appointment at 10:30am tomorrow morning, and am unsure of what to do or what’s best for her. I am looking for all and anyone’s advice
Sending hugs ❤️, I think you’re doing great with that’s going on, and I’m glad you have a vet appointment tomorrow. 5 is a amazing age especially for a female chameleon.
If you have anymore questions on anything, just ask, we are here for you.

I’m catching up on these posts, sorry this is happening…unfortunately she is older but maybe just stressed from the vet visit and handling since you don’t handle her much. When I give meds my guys never hiss at me so it’s very hard to get anything down the back of their throats. I give them a feeder by hand and then I drop the meds on their tongue as they chew. I’m wondering if they could possibly give her oxytocin to stimulate her to lay the eggs. Is she still eating and drinking?

I’m catching up on these posts, sorry this is happening…unfortunately she is older but maybe just stressed from the vet visit and handling since you don’t handle her much. When I give meds my guys never hiss at me so it’s very hard to get anything down the back of their throats. I give them a feeder by hand and then I drop the meds on their tongue as they chew. I’m wondering if they could possibly give her oxytocin to stimulate her to lay the eggs. Is she still eating and drinking?
She hasn’t ate in a few days, and drinking a little I’m sure. Small BM and urate, kinda mid yellowish.

She definitely could be super stressed of the last few days on top of not feeling well.

I’m just unsure of what is best to do for her tomorrow. I did take her to the vet Wednesday at 4pm and they gave her oxytocin. She didn’t do any digging or laying today.

I just don’t know if she’s physically able to lay, with her being this weak. I don’t know if I keep her alive and trying to lay will be a painful death, or if I euthanize her at the vet but possibly prematurely

She hasn’t ate in a few days, and drinking a little I’m sure. Small BM and urate, kinda mid yellowish.

She definitely could be super stressed of the last few days on top of not feeling well.

I’m just unsure of what is best to do for her tomorrow. I did take her to the vet Wednesday at 4pm and they gave her oxytocin. She didn’t do any digging or laying today.

I just don’t know if she’s physically able to lay, with her being this weak. I don’t know if I keep her alive and trying to lay will be a painful death, or if I euthanize her at the vet but possibly prematurely
The vet is probably the best option now unfortunately. With whatever happens id just say assess quality of life if you have to make any hard choices. we are here for you ❤️

I have to give my girl medication daily. I show her a bsfl and when she goes to eat it I put the syringe in her mouth. Just be careful to put it in the right place so you dont get liquid in her airway. After she gets her meds she then gets the bug.

Back
Top Bottom