Old Cham, is she ok?

Hi guys, so I’ve had my little lady Bingo since June of 2019. I know she’s getting older, and I want to make sure she lives a happy healthy last year or so. I know because she’s a female their life expectancy is short.

Her last time laying eggs was Dec of 2022. She looks like she needs to lay now due to her size and coloring, but she hasn’t gone into the lay bin I have for her.

I’ve also noticed within the last few days she’s been walking along the bottom of the enclosure, not very typical of her.

This photo of her asleep worries me, as she’s dark. The super dark line is a shadow from the branch, but again she is looking dark and I know that’s not a good sign.

I know one of the plants in her enclosure is pretty dead, should I replace it? Or will moving her and her enclosure around mess her up even more than just leaving it? She’s still eating and moving around.

I just am looking for your guy’s expertise on this. Thank you

*I can find old threads of mine with all the info of her enclosure, misting system, supplants, etc. if needed*

Attachments

• IMG_6372.jpeg
    IMG_6372.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6373.jpeg
    IMG_6373.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 24
Hi there! It’s been a while and good to see Bingo is doing well…as far as the dark colors from the pic, it’s showing she is gravid. She could be close to laying eggs if she has been patrolling the bottom of her cage so I would cover the bottom half so she can have some privacy. As far as the plants go I would wait to add anything until after she lays. If it’s not already in the enclosure, add the lay bin asap. Also, is she in an area where there is light while she sleeps or is that light just for taking the pic?

Hi!! Good to talk to you again.

She does have a lay bin! It’s been in there for about a month or two. It’s still wet and able to dig in.

The bottom of the enclosure walking makes sense, thank you for that.

And I only turned on the ceiling lights for the photo! It is dark when she sleeps.

Ok great! Hopefully she will lay soon and the colors are just her being a little different this time around since she had her last clutch in 2022.
On another note, if I could make a suggestion about the enclosure, when you go to put more plants in I would add more branches or vines. Since she is getting older it will be easier for her to get around.

Ok great! Hopefully she will lay soon and the colors are just her being a little different this time around since she had her last clutch in 2022.
On another note, if I could make a suggestion about the enclosure, when you go to put more plants in I would add more branches or vines. Since she is getting older it will be easier for her to get around.
That’s a great idea. I’ll totally do that! Extreme home makeover for her! I’ll keep posted on when she lays.

Update - miss bingo still hasn’t laid her eggs. She was acting normally until this morning, I went to check on her and she seemed still asleep, when she’s usually up by now. I blew some air from a bit away and she opened her eyes and began walking around. Now she’s just laying on a branch, “sleeping” again. :/

Update - miss bingo still hasn’t laid her eggs. She was acting normally until this morning, I went to check on her and she seemed still asleep, when she’s usually up by now. I blew some air from a bit away and she opened her eyes and began walking around. Now she’s just laying on a branch, “sleeping” again. :/
Eyes closed during the day is not a good sign. She probably needs to be seen by a vet.

do you have one near you? If not we can share our vet list with you.

How many eggs did she lay last time she laid eggs? Did she dig a hole and lay ALL of them in the hole, fill it in and tamp it all down?

The lay bin IMHO should always be in the cage…although if there are plants in big pots at least she has somewhere to dig.

How much do you feed her? Is this what you’ve “always” been feeding her?
What do you feed/gut load the insects with? What supplements do you use and how often? How heavily do you dust them?

Veiled females can live to be 7+ if the husbandry is bang on and their mothers were looked after properly too.

If she’s showing signs of going down hill…lethargy, sitting low in the cage, sleeping during the day, and the eggs aren’t dealt with she will just keep getting weaker and die in pain, eggbound. Sad to say.

A little new here , i know alot about panthers . But took in a veiled this year . Shes a young piebald , is that how all females look when gravid ?

Okay sorry to scare everyone but for the last few hours she’s been crawling around the whole enclosure.

Yes she has a lay bin in, she always lays and then “buries” them. Last lay was Dec 2022 of I forgot how many eggs

Everything I feed her and supplement wise is consistent with what I’ve done for years (crickets, gut loaded, dusted with supplements).

Her lighting is normal and she has a misting system

Edit: I can add more specific info if needed (just not home at the moment)

Last edited:
How far are you from this place? They have a vet that’s good with chameleons.

Dr Greg Mertz
New England Wildlife Center
500 Columbian Street
South Weymouth, MA 02190
781-682-4878
781-682-4872 (fax)

How far are you from this place? They have a vet that’s good with chameleons.

Dr Greg Mertz
New England Wildlife Center
500 Columbian Street
South Weymouth, MA 02190
781-682-4878
781-682-4872 (fax)
This one is an hour, I just called them they are doing a training and aren’t opening back up until the 25th

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom