Tuffy to the vet

laurie

Retired Moderator
I took my quad Tuffy to the vet today. She looks like a little football with legs. Super cute but not happy at all. It was time for the Oxytocin shot. Got her to the vet who held her and kept saying how pretty she was. I could see the vet was uncomfortable, so I offered to do the shot. The vet jumped on that! I have never given a reptile a shot but I had been told by a qualified wonderful vet ( Dr. Alfonso) how to do it so I did. The vet here in town quickly packaged up the other 2 oxytocin shots carefully measured out, off to home went Tuffy & I. Nothing is happening yet. I really don't want to have to hold Tuffy and try give her the shot tomorrow so cross your fingers, I am.

Just a side note. This is the vet's office that charged me $170 to put one of my chams down. Today visit cost $15. I get soooooooooo confused!:confused::confused:

Those prices are weird... I hope everything turns out okay! She's a very pretty lady :)

Tuffy is her name for a reason. You're doing all you can and she will lay, she's in good hands.

Poor girl:(

What are the methods you have tried to get her to lay? Like, a bin in the enclosure, substrate on the bottom or the trash can bin method? Some odd reason my tenuis females were fine with laying bins inside the cage the first time they both laid but the second time they both laid they wanted nothing to do with the bins inside the enclosure. They did fine with the trash can method. Seems they did not like being able to get below the level of the dirt this recent time.

I hope all goes well for her.

Poor girl:(

What are the methods you have tried to get her to lay? Like, a bin in the enclosure, substrate on the bottom or the trash can bin method? Some odd reason my tenuis females were fine with laying bins inside the cage the first time they both laid but the second time they both laid they wanted nothing to do with the bins inside the enclosure. They did fine with the trash can method. Seems they did not like being able to get below the level of the dirt this recent time.

I hope all goes well for her.

I have tried everything, bin in the cage bin outside the cage, trash can outside. I think it is going to take a nuclear blast! She ate two crickets after we got home and that is the only difference so far. I really do not want to have to give her a shot alone tomorrow but that may be what happens.:(

Hopefully the vet gave her an injection of calcium first? The oxytocin may not work without it.

Hopefully the vet gave her an injection of calcium first? The oxytocin may not work without it.

No I dribbled a couple of drops in her mouth, I hope that is sufficient. BTW I put the shot just under the skin, is that correct?

dear Laurie,

you're the only person I know that goes to a vet and does his job for him. :p
then again, I may have done the same with my little Laurie.

I'm telling you, my female hated the vet. all she wanted was to get back into my hands each time he left.
is Tuffy anything like that?

I so hope she understands by now that you have had enough of this sillyness and had better start laying right now. :p

Harry

Oh, Laurie! Tuffy really likes to worry you, doesn't she?! You are much braver than me - I don't think I would be able to inject either of my chams. I really hope the oxytocin works it's magic for both her and you! I have everything crossed for you too!:D

Good job Laurie. Learning and understanding these clinical techniques is invaluable when dealing with more than just a few animals or inexperienced herp vets. :)

Keep up with a moderate dose of the liquid calcium during the injections (should she need more than one) and it wouldn't hurt to give her a drop or two every day or two just to make sure she's not being depleted too much.

Keep me posted!

Luis

Back
Top Bottom