Pez - not tracking food well

I’d feel better if you could get her in today. Bloodwork is always good
I’d like to get her in today too, but the only place that can see her today is the place we’ve been twice and they can’t seem to do more, and can’t do bloodwork either….

IMG_2616.jpeg

IMG_2612.jpeg

IMG_2613.jpeg

Do all these places suggest the high temps for chameleons?
There is so much information out there - (good, inbetween, bad). My 1st Vet (Reptile Vet for the Zoo) told me I had a female - I have an adult male- he took Carmelo to a private room for the exam. He also told me to feed Carmelo as much as he wanted - wrong (Carmelo was really overweight). I will never use him again. My second Vet, examined Carmelo with me in the exam room. He has general reptile knowledge. He reviewed my Husbandry, we discussed parameters for temps, humidity, feeders, he reviewed pics of the enclosure etc. Nothing was set in stone and my Vet was ok with that. I was impressed with the way he handled Carmelo during the exam. It was definitely a doctor patient relationship. He even checked the Vent! My thoughts were, oh my he's gonna kill him. His exam was through and the education he offered fits within the scope of my current knowledge (which I learned here). He gives me a treatment plan and a plan for if the treatment plan does not fix it. I don't need my Vet for Husbandry and if we disagree then we agree to disagree. I've gotten my best advice here but I haven't always followed CF advice. I find the sweet spot that works for me. Maybe Paz needs the higher temp because she's not feeling well but normally the lower temp is fine. I would give her the higher temp during feedings and drop the temp 30 minutes after feedings. My bigger concern with the Vet hospital you used is the focus on temps opposed to a good exam with blood work. You are the pet parent, if you took your girl to the Vet, that should signal to the Vet that your girl needs further assessment. They think sunken eyes are ok. So they warmed her up and she ate. Ok what's causing that because in the past she has not required additional heat to eat. Is she experiencing calcium or Vit A deficiency, anemia, eggbound, kidney, or liver problems? For me, I would have been at a different Vet on Monday. Now you have one more day before the weekend, I would call every Vet I could find and tell them I want and phsycal exam and blood work. I would let them know to put me on standby. I would not go into another weekend without an exam and blood work.

There is so much information out there - (good, inbetween, bad). My 1st Vet (Reptile Vet for the Zoo) told me I had a female - I have an adult male- he took Carmelo to a private room for the exam. He also told me to feed Carmelo as much as he wanted - wrong (Carmelo was really overweight). I will never use him again. My second Vet, examined Carmelo with me in the exam room. He has general reptile knowledge. He reviewed my Husbandry, we discussed parameters for temps, humidity, feeders, he reviewed pics of the enclosure etc. Nothing was set in stone and my Vet was ok with that. I was impressed with the way he handled Carmelo during the exam. It was definitely a doctor patient relationship. He even checked the Vent! My thoughts were, oh my he's gonna kill him. His exam was through and the education he offered fits within the scope of my current knowledge (which I learned here). He gives me a treatment plan and a plan for if the treatment plan does not fix it. I don't need my Vet for Husbandry and if we disagree then we agree to disagree. I've gotten my best advice here but I haven't always followed CF advice. I find the sweet spot that works for me. Maybe Paz needs the higher temp because she's not feeling well but normally the lower temp is fine. I would give her the higher temp during feedings and drop the temp 30 minutes after feedings. My bigger concern with the Vet hospital you used is the focus on temps opposed to a good exam with blood work. You are the pet parent, if you took your girl to the Vet, that should signal to the Vet that your girl needs further assessment. They think sunken eyes are ok. So they warmed her up and she ate. Ok what's causing that because in the past she has not required additional heat to eat. Is she experiencing calcium or Vit A deficiency, anemia, eggbound, kidney, or liver problems? For me, I would have been at a different Vet on Monday. Now you have one more day before the weekend, I would call every Vet I could find and tell them I want and phsycal exam and blood work. I would let them know to put me on standby. I would not go into another weekend without an exam and blood work.
Thank you. Yes. I was just so discouraged at everything they said. Said they could do blood but then the guy that would, said there was no way he’d be able to find a vein on a chameleon, so no bloodwork even was an option. And then if they got their information from the other vet attached to the same building, I didn’t trust them either. The others I’ve called, are either busy, don’t know chameleons, won’t do bloodwork, etc. I’ll call more in the morning. Pez has been curled up in our hands a bulk of today, I feel like she’s fading away at this point…

I guess I’m scared that she’s too far gone, that we are going to have an expensive vet bill, with expensive bloodwork that’s going to tell us she is low in vitamin A like I expect, and that she’s still going to fade away soon… :’(

Also call the Serpentarium ask for Alex ( he is knowledgeable about the Vet's I mentioned and Chameleons- he was a keeper). If his advice is outside of your scope, it's OK, just use the advice that works for you. I purchased my granddaughters Crested Gecko there. That was her first reptile. They were very accommodating, teaching her how to hold and care for him.

Thank you. Yes. I was just so discouraged at everything they said. Said they could do blood but then the guy that would, said there was no way he’d be able to find a vein on a chameleon, so no bloodwork even was an option. And then if they got their information from the other vet attached to the same building, I didn’t trust them either. The others I’ve called, are either busy, don’t know chameleons, won’t do bloodwork, etc. I’ll call more in the morning. Pez has been curled up in our hands a bulk of today, I feel like she’s fading away at this point…

I guess I’m scared that she’s too far gone, that we are going to have an expensive vet bill, with expensive bloodwork that’s going to tell us she is low in vitamin A like I expect, and that she’s still going to fade away soon… :’(
I'm sorry you are experiencing this. Our pets are family. I have pet insurance. It's 15.00 a month and covers sick visits after the first 50.00 upto 1700.00. per year. It's actually valid 24 hours after your first payment. I didn't think to mention this earlier in the week.

She looks like she might be eggbound. @kinyonga what do you think?
I mentioned that possibility in post #18 in this thread…but it’s hard to be sure…you need X-rays to help determine it. Remember…I’m not a vet…just speak from what I’ve learned over all my years of studying/keeping/etc chameleons.

You said….”there was no way he’d be able to find a vein on a chameleon, so no bloodwork even was an option”…
this guy took a lot more blood than I would like to see taken…but it shows it being taken very clearly…

You said.…”Pez has been curled up in our hands a bulk of today, I feel like she’s fading away at this point”…aren’t you making her cold when she’s out of the cage. I don’t think that would be helping her.

I'm sorry you are experiencing this. Our pets are family. I have pet insurance. It's 15.00 a month and covers sick visits after the first 50.00 upto 1700.00. per year. It's actually valid 24 hours after your first payment. I didn't think to mention this earlier in the week.
I'll check it out. Good to know.

You said….”there was no way he’d be able to find a vein on a chameleon, so no bloodwork even was an option”…
this guy took a lot more blood than I would like to see taken…but it shows it being taken very clearly…

You said.…”Pez has been curled up in our hands a bulk of today, I feel like she’s fading away at this point”…aren’t you making her cold when she’s out of the cage. I don’t think that would be helping her.

She's against our skin so no, she's not too cold.

And agreed on blood. But if a doctor doesn't know how, or says he can't, I don't want him testing on her....

I'm not finding much on exotic pets. Most are just cats and dogs.

What’s the temperature of the room your in when she’s sitting on your hands?
Is she falling asleep while on your hands?

What’s the temperature of the room your in when she’s sitting on your hands?
Is she falling asleep while on your hands?
Temp is 74, but she's between our body and our hand, so she's actually warmer than when we pick her up out of the cage.

She would go between closing her eyes/resting, and then moving sometimes, then stopping again. Mostly resting though. Not sure though if she's "sleeping"...

She’s doing about the same. :( I called so many vets today, none can see her until Monday. I’ve got the vitamin A now, but she’s not eating or drinking. Should I get little vitamin A gel caps?
image.jpg

image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom