Pez - not tracking food well

Do you cup feed her all the time?

Have you tried putting a cricket between her teeth, head first while her mouth is opening?

She should be able to shoot her tongue out…and she doesn't seem to be able to. It could be from an imbalance in nutrients. She seems to move in an odd way too…again I’m thinking nutrient imbalance…but I’m not a vet and can only speak from what I’ve learned over the years.

I’ve never heard about handling a chameleon putting her into egg laying mode….but I have heard about some going into egg production when they see a male or can even sense the male being nearby.

IMHO, she shouldn’t be cold at 80F….and may produce bigger clutches if kept warmer. Does she feel cold when you touch her after she’s been basking? Or was it only at the vets?

Hey hun sorry your going through this.... Was she having issues targeting her food as in extending her tongue before the vet gave the Vitamin A and D3 shot? I personally hate these shots just because I am always concerned of overdosing the system since they are fat soluble.

For UVB because of the gauge screen you use on the top panel I would use nothing stronger than a 5.0 or 6% uvb bulb. Then you want the distance to the branch below to be roughly 10 inches away. So your measuring from the bottom of the fixture to the branch. This is going to put her in a UVI level that is not over kill. The 10.0 bulbs are really strong especially to use with a gauge like the kind you have. The different material matters because it impacts how strong the UVB is. The standard metal aluminum window screen will reduce a UVI level down by about 40%. So the larger the gauge the more UVI comes through and the stronger it is.

Yes, you should be using a supplement with preformed A. I typically recommend Repashy Calcium Plus LoD version. This would replace using calcium with D3. It has both D3 and A in it along with other needed vitamins. It is used only 2 times a month. Then a phosphorus free calcium without D3 at all other feedings.

With females I do not have the hands on experience. I am wondering if since the vet said they felt eggs if she had retained eggs and that is the issue. Although I would think they would do an xray to confirm.
This vet says she couldn't feel eggs. I'm not sure my other vet knows much about chameleons... :(

The tracking issue came after vitamin A and D3 shot. If you get technical, in her 2.5 years of life, I've never given her vitamin A, so I don't think a single shot would be too much (but maybe it's too little, too late?? :( ). I always gave it to the insects that she eats. I got the vitamin with D3 from the pet store and it actually only had calcium and D3, and I thought that was sufficient...

Do you cup feed her all the time?

Have you tried putting a cricket between her teeth, head first while her mouth is opening?

She should be able to shoot her tongue out…and she doesn't seem to be able to. It could be from an imbalance in nutrients. She seems to move in an odd way too…again I’m thinking nutrient imbalance…but I’m not a vet and can only speak from what I’ve learned over the years.

I’ve never heard about handling a chameleon putting her into egg laying mode….but I have heard about some going into egg production when they see a male or can even sense the male being nearby.

IMHO, she shouldn’t be cold at 80F….and may produce bigger clutches if kept warmer. Does she feel cold when you touch her after she’s been basking? Or was it only at the vets?
Yes, I have always cup fed her. We've tried to catch her opening her mouth and stick food in, but that's not so easy to time...

And yes, I don't think she's too cold either, but that's the focus of this vet so far, is that she's too cold, as her baking should be between 90-100 (that's what it is here at the vet, and then she perks up and eats, so that's their proof I'm doing it wrong).

She already has big enough clutches, that's why we don't have her that hot anymore, and why we are following the 3 bugs every 2 days.

She's only cold at the vet because they know that chameleons should be basking at 90-100 and I said she was basking at 80. Plus then they put her in a small temp controlled box at 90-100 and then she eats.

This vet says she couldn't feel eggs. I'm not sure my other vet knows much about chameleons... :(

The tracking issue came after vitamin A and D3 shot. If you get technical, in her 2.5 years of life, I've never given her vitamin A, so I don't think a single shot would be too much (but maybe it's too little, too late?? :( ). I always gave it to the insects that she eats. I got the vitamin with D3 from the pet store and it actually only had calcium and D3, and I thought that was sufficient...
So my concern was more about how she could not extend her tongue, was that after the shot?

So my concern was more about how she could not extend her tongue, was that after the shot?
Yes, it was. But after the emergency vet got her warmer (90-100 basking area), she then ate 11 mealworms for them. I didn't see her eat though. She was in the back.

It would be interesting to know if she shot her tongue out to eat at the vet’s.

Also…how was she able to stay warm on your way to the vets?
Was it cooler as you went to the vets than it was under your basking light at home.

Yes, it was. But after the emergency vet got her warmer (90-100 basking area), she then ate 11 mealworms for them. I didn't see her eat though. She was in the back.
Yeah see that is why I am concerned that the shot may have been overkill.

Now for the heat 90-100 is crazy to me... I have heard vets recommending bumping basking 5 degrees when they are fighting an infection. But otherwise I would keep her at recommended temps for a female. Which we recommend 80 max with a reduced feeding schedule and amounts to control clutch size.

Even males we do not recommend anything hotter than 85.

Back at the emergency vet today. Was not happy how she looked at 1pm. Tried to warm her, then decided to come back here.

It would be interesting to know if she shot her tongue out to eat at the vet’s.

Also…how was she able to stay warm on your way to the vets?
Was it cooler as you went to the vets than it was under your basking light at home.
Yes, we had her in a box on a plant. Cooler than at home.

Yeah see that is why I am concerned that the shot may have been overkill.

Now for the heat 90-100 is crazy to me... I have heard vets recommending bumping basking 5 degrees when they are fighting an infection. But otherwise I would keep her at recommended temps for a female. Which we recommend 80 max with a reduced feeding schedule and amounts to control clutch size.

Even males we do not recommend anything hotter than 85.
I definitely worry about the shot being overkill also. I'm doubting everything.

They are going by the "board certified chameleon doctors" (from the chameleon doctor recommended here) who say females at 90-100 for basking. I know.... But if heat is allowing her to eat and not fade away, I struggle not following along..... They say that she ate normally (stuck out her tongue) after she warmed up.

We are home now. Emergency vet says that the sunken eyes are normal. I'm not sure how much he knows about chameleons....
IMG_20230514_182813610_HDR.jpg

I've got her a little warm right now, but she is nicely colored at the moment. She's definitely not in the 89 degree spot. She's closer to 84-85 I would expect.
IMG_20230514_184424869.jpg

I think she's pretty well tuckered out. I moved her to the plant so she won't fall, as that stick doesn't look so comfy. I'm about to turn off the lights for her for the night.
IMG_20230514_191726352_HDR.jpg

The plan is to go to the recommended vet tomorrow, but honestly, I'm unsure of their competence, as they are the ones giving this emergency vet their chameleon information.....

With you increasing the temps just make sure the distance from the bulb to her is not close... you do not want to deal with a thermal burn on top of her current ailments.

With you increasing the temps just make sure the distance from the bulb to her is not close... you do not want to deal with a thermal burn on top of her current ailments.
Definitely. With her closing eyes at home, would you take her into this vet today? Based on what the emergency vet says, I’m afraid the other vet will just say the same thing.

Definitely. With her closing eyes at home, would you take her into this vet today? Based on what the emergency vet says, I’m afraid the other vet will just say the same thing.
I would only take her to a vet that knows chameleons. Do you have anyone near you that actually knows them and works with them? Otherwise they could do more harm than good.

Closing eyes can be a sign of just not feeling well... If the shot was too much it may just be her response to it. Closing eyes is never a good thing but they do it in response to stuff. Mostly health issues. But they also do it as a stress response. She has been through a lot so it could be a stress response too.

I would only take her to a vet that knows chameleons. Do you have anyone near you that actually knows them and works with them? Otherwise they could do more harm than good.

Closing eyes can be a sign of just not feeling well... If the shot was too much it may just be her response to it. Closing eyes is never a good thing but they do it in response to stuff. Mostly health issues. But they also do it as a stress response. She has been through a lot so it could be a stress response too.
It’s hard to say. It’s the Texas avian and exotic place that’s recommended here. But the emergency vet that’s attached to that building gets all their information from them, has been the place I’ve been all weekend. And I’ve not been impressed. They say she is really healthy, chameleons close their eyes, and sunken eyes are normal. I’m losing faith in them….

It’s hard to say. It’s the Texas avian and exotic place that’s recommended here. But the emergency vet that’s attached to that building gets all their information from them, has been the place I’ve been all weekend. And I’ve not been impressed. They say she is really healthy, chameleons close their eyes, and sunken eyes are normal. I’m losing faith in them….
Did you try this link to see if anyone is listed near you? https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

Back
Top Bottom