Well, we have a problem

Ghostbirb

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I was feeding Nachito today and noticed there was a bump where it wasn’t supposed to be. After checking past camera reviews, she has had it for the past few days when I was out of town. My best guess is maybe it’s a abscess.
I plan on taking her to the vet soon.

Edit - she also is actions normal, super hissy and angry when I held her and she ate all her food.
2DD50D7A-F96B-4088-A472-79FC4DC4DE97.jpeg
A614C659-9ED3-4AC9-AAAC-0A569240FA1B.jpeg
0C3255D0-CEF7-4E14-A2B1-BBB2E6FC3CBC.jpeg
980918EF-CC18-4C3A-98EF-F013AFCBC243.jpeg

C07AA09B-BC8C-469E-9671-CA9FB434E604.jpeg

Last edited:
oof! need to get her to the vets as soon as possible. if it is an infection, she needs antibiotics ASAP. I've lost a chameleon to complications from oral infection that was treated long before they came to me. It is a serious infection, and its likely very painful.

So sorry you are dealing with this. That abcess is well formed so the infection is in the system. Definstely need oral antibiotics. Since it is near the mouth tell the doctor to give you injections to administer at home and have him show u how. Its very painful and getting her to open her mouth to take oral meds will be very painful for her. If the doc lances it, you can flush it with peroxide till it heals. Thankfully she is eating but she may stop. Give her feeders that are soft. Hornworms, silk and wax. this could have been causedby a cricket from inside the mouth. If the doc makes u wait before appt perhaps they could give u oral meds to get her started on before the appt. it may be hard giving it to her though. Please keep us updated.

So sorry you are dealing with this. That abcess is well formed so the infection is in the system. Definstely need oral antibiotics. Since it is near the mouth tell the doctor to give you injections to administer at home and have him show u how. Its very painful and getting her to open her mouth to take oral meds will be very painful for her. If the doc lances it, you can flush it with peroxide till it heals. Thankfully she is eating but she may stop. Give her feeders that are soft. Hornworms, silk and wax. this could have been causedby a cricket from inside the mouth. If the doc makes u wait before appt perhaps they could give u oral meds to get her started on before the appt. it may be hard giving it to her though. Please keep us updated.
I do know it’s not caused by crickets, as she is not fed crickets. And I’ll order some more softer bugs to eat as I am running low on hornworms.

One weird thing. She is trying to climb behind her feeder run, which I’ve never seen her do before. But I’m not sure if that’s because of the possible abscess or just weird behavior
6D08DAB4-D96F-4569-BF02-BB0C0AD49E0D.jpeg
300F7A82-DE4E-47C5-BC43-7FDC96B1DAD3.jpeg

Well, I think I’m going to get hornworms and black soldier fly larvae as I can’t find silkworms that are available 😅

Good vibes and good luck to you both. Keep us posted on what the vet says, I'm interested to learn about her issue and their treatment. Its always so helpful to read about other's experiences. Speedy recovery!
In a way this is good and bad. I really want her to get better and am so worried, but also I can get her in for a checkup and see what the vet thinks about her recovery from when I first got her and last came in. I can also do a really good cleaning of her cage while she is out and look for possible hazards that I might have missed in the cage

Back
Top Bottom