Is it just me or does her leg look swollen

Ghostbirb

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I was feeding Nachito and I noticed her leg looks kind of big…. She also seems a little reluctant to use it.

Am I being paranoid or do you guys think somethings wrong? It’s the front leg she isn’t standing on, her front right leg.
IMG_1252.jpeg

She’s acting normal, eating and super spicy when I tried to hold her to check her grip.
IMG_1254.jpeg
IMG_1257.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! Thought a vet visit could be in order. I remember seeing some posts about gout here every once and while, is there a specific cause for it?

It’s a build up of uric acid crystals in the blood - usually from the kidneys not being able to filter enough of them out. The uric acid builds up in skeletal joints and causes inflammation. In humans it’s most often from a diet too high in protein/meats. I’m not sure of the cause in chameleons exactly other than the relationship to kidney function. My vet has told me to avoid a diet too high in roaches as that can contribute, but others here have debated that, so I don’t know. Write down your questions so you don’t forget them and ask your vet. Medications often used in humans are allopurinol and colchicine and I can’t remember which of them is used for chams.

I will! It could take about a week or so to get an appointment for her but in the meantime, I will try to make her comfortable and keep her hydrated! Her poops are looking good, so I know she's been staying hydrated.

I have also read/been told that a diet high in roaches can cause gout, or even a diet of non-roach feeders that are frequently gutloaded with high protein food items. I’m really just echoing what’s already been said twice about upping hydration, as well as taking your spicy girl to the vet. So sorry you’ve got this to worry about!

I’ll make sure to keep hydration opportunity’s up! I’m curious if the roaches caused this like you guys are thinking with gout. Although her diet has been pretty diverse recently, dubia roaches, hornworms, bsfl or bsf, and recently silkworms. Hmmmmm hopefully the vet can help!

I’ll make sure to keep hydration opportunity’s up! I’m curious if the roaches caused this like you guys are thinking with gout. Although her diet has been pretty diverse recently, dubia roaches, hornworms, bsfl or bsf, and recently silkworms. Hmmmmm hopefully the vet can help!
what are the roaches eating? Because if they are not on a high protein diet then that would not be it.

I’ve been giving them Arcadia Insect Fuel. Is that alright? It says it should be ok on the gut-loading sheet. I used to try fresh gut-load but struggled a lot with them either not eating it, it molding quickly or drying out.

I’ve been giving them Arcadia Insect Fuel. Is that alright? It says it should be ok on the gut-loading sheet. I used to try fresh gut-load but struggled a lot with them either not eating it, it molding quickly or drying out.
Are you supplementing with any additional bee pollen?

Back
Top Bottom