Is it just me or does her leg look swollen

I see the same thing with my chams. Sometimes they sleep in really odd places. It throws me off because I feel like all three of mine have very specific sleep spots too.

Hey everyone. I really wish I didn’t have to make an update so soon but the vet called back about Nachitos blood work and it’s not good.

To start off her calcium was high but in relation to the phosphorus, it’s fine.

But the white blood count test showed really concerning levels of multiple types of white blood counts being raised. So there’s an infection going on.
Along side that her red blood count is low, and she is showing signs of dehydration. Which isn’t good because, from what I understand, if we try to rehydrate her there won’t be enough blood cells to carry oxygen to the rest of her body.

These two factors show that her follicular stasis is a lot worse than initially thought and she needs spaying as soon a possible for a chance to survive.

But due to all the problems she’s been having, surgery would be very high risk. But without it she would just decline and due to that humane euthanasia would be the best option.

I asked for a estimate for the surgery and 1300 dollars is how much it could cost.

I have no idea what to do. From the sounds of it she probably won’t survive the surgery and she definitely won’t last long without it.

I can afford it but would it really be the best option to have her go through a surgery where her survival is low.
I have no idea what to do. 😭

Last edited:
Oh dear. 😟 Was euthanasia and surgery the only options provided? What about continuing the antibiotic and recheck labs when it’s done? Is waiting to see if that makes a difference going to make things worse?
I know that Nachito’s situation is very different but I can’t help but be reminded of what I went thru a couple of years ago with my sweet Grumpy. Her white count was thru the roof, she was extremely anemic and dehydrated. It may have been the start of her cancer or something else. Never found the cause. Anyhow, a round of antibiotics ‘fixed’ her crappy lab values. Here is her story. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/sweet-grumpy.186732/
I don’t believe any of us can tell you what the right decision is. Whatever you decide is the one which is right for you both. I’m only wanting to give you questions to consider and ask your vet. You’ve always had all of my support and always will. 💗

Oh dear. 😟 Was euthanasia and surgery the only options provided? What about continuing the antibiotic and recheck labs when it’s done? Is waiting to see if that makes a difference going to make things worse?
I know that Nachito’s situation is very different but I can’t help but be reminded of what I went thru a couple of years ago with my sweet Grumpy. Her white count was thru the roof, she was extremely anemic and dehydrated. It may have been the start of her cancer or something else. Never found the cause. Anyhow, a round of antibiotics ‘fixed’ her crappy lab values. Here is her story. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/sweet-grumpy.186732/
I don’t believe any of us can tell you what the right decision is. Whatever you decide is the one which is right for you both. I’m only wanting to give you questions to consider and ask your vet. You’ve always had all of my support and always will. 💗
Thank you for sharing, I’ve read through it am I’m glad your Grumpy recovered.

Right now we are trying to figure out the most humane way to go. i realist when I say euthanasia I didn’t really explain it correctly, I mean that we kind of put her on hospice care until she let us know that it’s time for her to go.

I’ve been talking with friends, family and you guys to try and figure out the best course of action. Our current concern is that there is just so much going on, a risky surgery to begin with coupled with infection, low blood count, dehydration, healing legs, etc, would it really be humane for her to go through all that if she survives the surgery at all? 😞

There’s so many what ifs, I’ll plan on taking to my teacher who has vet experience and get her take on it as well.

Thank you for sharing, I’ve read through it am I’m glad your Grumpy recovered.

Right now we are trying to figure out the most humane way to go. i realist when I say euthanasia I didn’t really explain it correctly, I mean that we kind of put her on hospice care until she let us know that it’s time for her to go.

I’ve been talking with friends, family and you guys to try and figure out the best course of action. Our current concern is that there is just so much going on, a risky surgery to begin with coupled with infection, low blood count, dehydration, healing legs, etc, would it really be humane for her to go through all that if she survives the surgery at all? 😞

There’s so many what ifs, I’ll plan on taking to my teacher who has vet experience and get her take on it as well.
I wish there was a hug/care emoji here. I know you're taking into account everything you can and will make a decision. THat decision WILL be the correct one - there are so many unknowns that you can't know the future, and you can only choose based on what information you have, what guidance you can find, and what you think is best. Whatever your choice, and whatever the outcome, KNOW that you're doing everything you can, for Nachito's benefit. I'm so glad she has you!

Such terrible news 😭😭 And I'm incredible sorry for the both of you. It's an extremely though decision, but I feel you made your decision and that one I completely understand and therefore I stand with on this. I think you gave Nachito the best life she could have and you showed real human love and therefore she'll be forever thankful towards you. But you have suffered a heavy burden on shoulders due the mistakes of others and your love for Nachito, and from the beginning she was intensely caring for you with tons of vet interventions and so on. Therewith I do understand becoming at one point were we need to say to ourselves where does it end and who are we doing a favor. You're both suffering from this, for Nachito it's stressful and hopefully not painful but for you it's the same stress and you're not enjoying the hobby as we do. With everything that has been going on and still is, in combination with the high risk surgery, maybe it's time to let her go. And trust me I'm writing this with tears in my eyes at work, but you got my honest answer and I think the answer you where looking for. Whatever choice you make, it will be the best, but also think of yourself. My thoughts and heart go with you.........and just remember you did everything you could do for her. I'm sorry for being the bad messenger, but I helped you from the second and will do it till the last 🙌.

Virtual Hug GIF by MyPostcard

Ugggg sweetheart this is one of those you have to do what you think it best. Crappy answer I know. Everything I have seen in multiple forums with a female being spayed is that they should be as healthy as possible. The surgery is quite extensive and can take a toll on their body. This would be why the vet is suggesting humane euthanasia. If they do not think she is strong enough to survive the surgery or the healing process after it. With that being said again this is an individual decision.

We all process and handle these situations differently and have different outlooks. For some it is a do as much as possible without limits, for some it is do as much as possible with limits, and for some it is solely about the animal and what they feel they can handle. None of these are wrong, they are what make us human and individuals.

I believe I fall into the last category. Don't get me wrong I have been in a horrible situation and tried everything only to end up where you are at now. I chose humane euthanasia. But I have always been more afraid with chams because they can not express their pain and discomfort the way other animals do. So I watch every little sign and take note of it. For me it becomes about quality of life over my will for them to live.

Whatever you decide know you have given her an amazing life full of love. She has been adored and thrived in her life with you. For her you gave her the gift of time which she would not have had if you would not have taken her into your home. I think this is all they can ask for. A human that loves them and does everything in their power to give them the best cham life possible. You did that.

So with either decision you are still doing that for her. Please make this decision for yourself. You know her best and you know her day to day in person. We do not so all we have are words based on what our experience is in our own chameleon journey. But know we love you and are so very proud of you and how much you have grown since being in this forum. So whatever decision you make I support you and it will not change my opinion of you or the keeper you are.

I hope my rambling helps. I know it is not much but I would hope if my daughter was ever in a situation where she would need guidance that someone would be loving and gentle with her as well. xoxoxo

After talking with multiple people and getting different opinions, I’ve decided and confirmed with my vet office that we will not be doing the surgery.

@Sonny13 said it very well “Therewith I do understand becoming at one point were we need to say to ourselves where does it end and who are we doing a favor.”

At this rate Nachitos just been through so much and I just don’t think she’s would be able to make it through surgery and all these issues.

I want to thank you all for helping my journey with her and I’m sad that it has to end this way but I just don’t want her to suffer anymore.

We are going to give her some hospice care and just treat her like the queen she is until it’s ultimately time to let her pass over the rainbow bridge.

I’ve asked the doctor about how long she’s think Nachito will live for with without treatment and she will get back to me on it later.

Your support and this community has done so much for us and I can’t thank you enough for helping both of us. These two years together have been amazing.❤️💔
IMG_3937.jpeg

After talking with multiple people and getting different opinions, I’ve decided and confirmed with my vet office that we will not be doing the surgery.

@Sonny13 said it very well “Therewith I do understand becoming at one point were we need to say to ourselves where does it end and who are we doing a favor.”

At this rate Nachitos just been through so much and I just don’t think she’s would be able to make it through surgery and all these issues.

I want to thank you all for helping my journey with her and I’m sad that it has to end this way but I just don’t want her to suffer anymore.

We are going to give her some hospice care and just treat her like the queen she is until it’s ultimately time to let her pass over the rainbow bridge.

I’ve asked the doctor about how long she’s think Nachito will live for with without treatment and she will get back to me on it later.

Your support and this community has done so much for us and I can’t thank you enough for helping both of us. These two years together have been amazing.❤️💔
View attachment 353340
Monsters Inc Hug GIF

View attachment 353340
You’re such a brave girl and thoughts are all day with you, lots of watery eye moments. I think Nachito has become special for many of us and I never expected this outcome. However, I’m kind of happy for the decision you made (I’ll come back to you why I’m saying this). We’re always here for you and for me, you and Nachito have become legends 🙏🏻💚

I’m sorry to hear this. I commend you for being able to put your feelings aside and do what you know is best for Nachito. That’s never an easy decision. It’s very selfless what you are doing for her. She has felt nothing but love in your care, and I know it will continue till the very end. We are here for you and love you both ❤️

Back
Top Bottom