Well, we have a problem

Ok! Update!
Went to the vet today to get more meds due to us messing up and asked for a re-weigh and to be shown how to give injections again.
Well! This extremely doubtful human (with the help of you all) was right about her weight. Nachito is actually 100% 51g! Thank goodness we double checked because her dosage went from 0.3 to 0.05.
I talked with two vets today and they just absolutely loved her and her pink mittens and they thought she was looking pretty good.

Is 51g a low, average or high weight for a female veiled chameleon?
E9092409-4D45-4C39-A5D7-EAF16CAD21F9.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, those pink mittens are extraordinary and adorable! 💗
That’s a huge difference in dose and thankfully you caught the error or who knows what effect it could have had.
I’ve no idea if that’s a ‘normal’ or average weight. I can only say that my girls non-gravid weights have usually been around the 80’s. Just keep a record of her weights as they can be a helpful tool when trying to figure out if gravid or not.

Agreed those pink mittens are just adorable 😍
Great news you went back and got the right dosage, who knows what harm could be have been done to her. I don’t think she is underweighted, but more a lightweight. Maybe she’s a bit smaller then average or she‘s still gaining weight in her bone structure from her MBD recovery, hard to tell I’m no expert in it. Only thing we know is she looks healthy and beautiful 💚

Ok! Update!
Went to the vet today to get more meds due to us messing up and asked for a re-weigh and to be shown how to give injections again.
Well! This extremely doubtful human (with the help of you all) was right about her weight. Nachito is actually 100% 51g! Thank goodness we double checked because her dosage went from 0.3 to 0.05.
I talked with two vets today and they just absolutely loved her and her pink mittens and they thought she was looking pretty good.

Is 51g a low, average or high weight for a female veiled chameleon?
View attachment 333423
Good glad I opened my big mouth and mentioned it. :hilarious:
That is a huge dosage difference.

How do u tell if your Chameleon is of good weight? Should I keep the same feeding schedule of Monday, Wednesday and Friday and just increase bug intake? Or change nothing? (Sorry for being skeptical, with a mix of this forum, my vet and my mom I’m kind of flustered on what to do)
Listen to your vet. Ask him what her weight is now and what it should. Then get a scale and start weighing her. Once she gets to her target weight call your vet and ask when you should reduce so she doesnt get underweight again.

So I’m not sure if anyone will know this but is it bad that Nachito bled a bit after giving her her shot? I’m a nervous reck because all the other shots before this didn’t bleed but this one did and when I checked for blood when giving her the shot I didn’t see any. 😖

Edit- also she is pacing around the top of her enclose a LOT which she wasn’t doing before her shot

Last edited:
It sounds like they taught you to aspirate a little to make sure you’ve got the needle in the correct spot. If you pulled back on the plunger and there was no blood, all should be fine. Was it just a little drop of blood?

It sounds like they taught you to aspirate a little to make sure you’ve got the needle in the correct spot. If you pulled back on the plunger and there was no blood, all should be fine. Was it just a little drop of blood?
It wasn’t a whole bunch but wasn’t just a drop either

Nachito will probably be ok, but just for reassurance I’d call the vet and ask.
I sure hope so. I constantly feel like I’m messing up with her and her meds. We will call the vet tomorrow to double check and then she has a check up appointment next week

Small update! Today was our last day of medication before a check up! I think her abscess is getting smaller 🤗 and she seem to being feeling great as when I took her out the other day my hand got to close to her mouth and she bit me. 😆 her bite is pretty strong!

Had the checkup today! They said she’s looking good and that the infection has hopefully cleared up. She still has a bump that they explained to be a pocket/casing that the body made and they are hoping that the immune system should gradually make it go away. They also said that they would go more invasive and take the casing out only if the abscess came back and that hopefully it won’t :)

Before treatment
8C8FEC16-74DB-4851-B45B-5BAD4C67B502.jpeg

A37452E4-7A50-4ECD-9E15-89D1D0CA5450.jpeg

After first checkup and draining
A3D162EE-0DE0-454D-AE50-B4207C18AF50.jpeg

082C20DD-3CC9-4C5C-B895-143CD0E240A8.jpeg

Today
DA052888-35CE-4AC7-9A9B-CD92DC8B70ED.jpeg

AB76F73D-30BB-44E3-AA2E-BD5241B10F51.jpeg

The vet also said that the brown stuff/color in her mouth (I assume the mouth rot) is gone and looking better

Back
Top Bottom