Sick Panther

Tiki

I have 2 panthers in XL screen cages with a promist system. They are 3 years old.
This past month the only thing that I have changed in their lives is to let them stay in separate trees in the yard for most of the day. I have done this every year with positive results.
For 3 weeks the noseybe(sp?) Has been sick: It started with one eye closed, then both. He had a little scratch on the tip of his tail which healed with some small bumps around the scratch. The reptile vet sid a lot of herps have been in because people have been using air conditioning. He gave some antibiotic for the eyes, I don't think he understands chameleon stress symptoms. He said the cham. might have caught a chill which lowered its imune system. The cham has been warm in its cage since. I put an extra light up. He drinks alot. He drinks for about an hour. He is eating less but I have seen him eating. He is sick but has lasted a pretty long time so I'm hopeful.
I didn't go into depth on my set up because it's been the same for 3 years and my other cham is fine.

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? (Outside in the tree?)

Location - Where are you geographically located?

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

Pictures are helpful
Howdy,

Sorry to hear about your Panther's condition. Although you have had these Panthers in your care for years without incident, a few of the details from the "How to ask for help" questionaire might help us formulate some thoughts :eek:. Some long-term husbandry practices could take years to show-up as an illness. The wrong kinds/amounts of supplements or too much of one kind of feeder or too much feeding altogether could take years to bring on symptoms. This would give us a place to start.

You might want to double check that Vet's credentials. It sounds like he is just guessing because he doesn't have a clue. Without a fecal and a blood test, how can he even guess.

Drinking for an hour is pretty excessive,it may indicate a problem with his kidneys.
Its normal for an old adult to start eatting less,most at around 3-4 years old eat just to keep the body in good condition as the animal has stopped growing.

Hope you get to the bottom of the problem:)

Kind regards
Luke

Just to add zoo med repti safe is a great product for conditioning your water,and gets overlooked far to often i highly recommend this

Last edited:
Also make sure you recheck the inside cage temps now that you have added a extra bulb. upper and lower cage temps. sometimes chams will close the eyes due to dry eye from to much heat, sun or wind . It would be good to give A nice temped showers for the cham that way he can clean out his eyes and drink as much as he wants. Remember not to hit him with the water but let the warm mist fall on him and his plant you put him on and just warm water. there are a lot of vets out there that do not know how to treat chams so as much info as you can give us will help us help you.

Back
Top Bottom