Eye Issue

You have received great info from @MissSkittles.

No worries on not feeding veg or fruit. This is actually NOT recommended for chameleons. While they may eat their plants you should never offer veg and specifically never give fruit as their bodies do not break either down since they are not omnivores. Their diet should consist of properly gutloaded and supplemented insects.

You have received great info from @MissSkittles.

No worries on not feeding veg or fruit. This is actually NOT recommended for chameleons. While they may eat their plants you should never offer veg and specifically never give fruit as their bodies do not break either down since they are not omnivores. Their diet should consist of properly gutloaded and supplemented insects.
You also received great info from me @Kodyf rather beman agrees or not your chameleon can break down diced collard greens and carrots easily to help a vitamin A deficiency you can actually dice them and mix them with in with the feeders breeders do it all the time. Not to argue with @Beman but veiled chameleons will eat diced collard greens and carrots, no one here is a vet just experienced individuals and none of our opinions should be taken without seeing a vet first. But as we all know not everyone goes to the vet who looks at these posts so we try to give advice that could help the health of the chameleon. If your chameleon has a vitamin A deficiency get a multivitamin supplement and you can feed him diced collard green and carrots and obviously feed it to the feeders as well. You would have to take him to a vet to be certain it is a vitamin A deficiency though. I am not an expert no one here is, if they claim to be an expert they are a liar only your local vet can diagnose these things we just give our opinions from our experience and the photos/information we have received and give an educated opinion of the possibilities. That doesn’t rule out you should see a vet, taking the care into your own hand would mean that your at fault if you don’t get them the proper care, regardless of the information you have received from anyone on this forum you should see your vet.

Also just stating this for the record I did not recommend any fruits or veggies. I asked do you offer your chameleon fruits and veggies. My recommendation would be as said in my prior post to dice collard greens and carrots to a very refined dicing them into near rice sized bits would be ideal, IF your chameleon has a vitamin A deficiency, you would have to take it to a vet to be certain no one’s opinion here should be accepted only a vet but obviously not everyone goes to the vet even though they should and that is shunned, the advice we offer is only from minimal information so our information may help and it may not. That’s why a vet is ultimately the best option. Because let’s say it isn’t a vitamin deficiency all our advice could help nothing and the chameleon will get worse without proper treatment. So if your financially able take it to the vet don’t take it into your own hands surrender the chameleon to a rescue. But even with that being suggested some won’t do both, so we give some advice to potentially help those who do not do both of the obvious recommendations. Stating all of this to clear the record.

Here are some other posts to reference to support my comments.

Attachments

• IMG_0272.png
    IMG_0272.png
    163.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0271.png
    IMG_0271.png
    107.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0270.png
    IMG_0270.png
    122.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0269.png
    IMG_0269.png
    137.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0268.png
    IMG_0268.png
    211.5 KB · Views: 20
You also received great info from me @Kodyf rather beman agrees or not your chameleon can break down diced collard greens and carrots easily to help a vitamin A deficiency you can actually dice them and mix them with in with the feeders breeders do it all the time. Not to argue with @Beman but veiled chameleons will eat diced collard greens and carrots,
It is with some reluctance that I am risking getting this thread off track, as that is of no use to anyone. However, it is not just @Beman opinion about veileds eating produce. It is science fact that veileds lack the ability to digest plant matter. It remains unknown and of some debate why they eat their plants. It also remains unknown if chameleons are able to fully utilize proformed vitamin A, which is obtained through plants. This is why I always will advise using the two supplements (ReptiVite and Repashy calcium plus LoD) that I know contain preformed vitamin A that we know they can utilize. However, caution must be taken with preformed A as it is fat soluble and can easily build up to toxic levels...same as with vitamin D3.
While OP’s problem may very well be attributed to a vitamin A deficiency, there are so many possible other causes and very often most problems are from a combination of things. We can only look at husbandry as possible causes of any problem and make suggestions. Only a veterinarian can examine the chameleon and make any specific diagnosis and prescribe effective treatment.
I wholeheartedly appreciate your desire to help others and I myself was in your shoes not so many years ago. However, I was appropriately humbled when my desire to help exceeded my knowledge to do so. Let me end this little rant by saying that you did give good information in that it’s important to feed your insects a variety of fresh produce, which include carrots and collards.

I agree with what others have said. There may not be science to prove it can help the vitamin deficiency but feeding your chameleon diced collard greens and carrots is a treat that most veiled chameleons love. Now if you have a panthers that’s different, veiled will eat fruit/veg let them decide. Also I agree use the multivitamin supplement either way to be sure your chameleons gets the vitamins needed.

This is all gotten aside from the point this chameleon needs seen by a vet. It could possibly be anything. Our advice is just advice your vet will ultimately decide. I will leave the rest for others to comment.

With do respect to @Beman I am also stating for the record he is correct, it is technically pointless to feed your chameleon fruits/veg. The fruit/veg should be fed to the feeders that is mandatory, feeding your chameleon extra fruits/veggies is optional and while their may not be science that they can properly digest the material, their is also no science to prove that a chameleon can be injured in any way shape or form from eating fruit/veg as long as it isn’t a poisonous fruit/veg to the chameleon species and as long as it isn’t too large to cause impaction.
It is my mistake to offer my opinion rather I stand by it or not because I see there is no scientific evidence to show that eating fruit or veg can help a vitamin deficiency, id still do it if the chameleon is deficient but that’s my opinion no science to prove that would help so I will refrain from opinionated comments in the future.

Going back to a thread from the past (sorry @kinyonga ) that I never updated my answer to, In my very uneducated opinion, Veiled Chameleons do not eat vegetation for nutritional value or hydration. They could get "some" benefit from it, but I do not have evidence of this. I believe it is a product of their environment, which can be semi-arid in parts, and is a function of aiding the types of food sources they encounter that probably have thicker exoskeletons.

I would advise against "absolute" advice. (This is one of the things I have kept in mind when looking at revising our care sheets here on the forums) Not to come across as combative, but many vets are not at all experienced with old-world chameleons. I have seen countless threads with incorrect information that vets have given to keepers. It is based on what they know, but not always the best for these animals. I don't know it all, but have done tons of research, and will always continue to learn and be open to new ideas.

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, my situation is that there are no experienced chameleon vets anywhere near me. I appreciate you all trying to help! Today he seems a little more active and normal.

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, my situation is that there are no experienced chameleon vets anywhere near me. I appreciate you all trying to help! Today he seems a little more active and normal.
It is normal for most people to have to travel to get to an exotic vet, you can find your nearest one in an unlikely emergency situation by obviously searching the internet and making some calls. Make an informed decision on the vet you choose some aren’t as qualified as others. (nearest vet for people normally can range from 2 hours way to 6 hours away+ your lucky if you have one local.) Basically it is common for chameleon owners to have trouble finding a vet.

Hi there. I would love to do a husbandry review with you. This would give me the info I need to figure out what all could be contributing to the eye issue. If we then determine those and make the corrections this will be a good start since you can not get him into a vet right now.

If you could copy and paste the info below into your reply and then just fill out with as much detail as possible. Add more pics of the entire chameleon and the set up showing the lighting down.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I'm not a vet or do I even play one on TV but as far as first aid for eye issues. Start with flushing with sterile saline eye wash. Make sure you are not giving too much vitamin D3 and that your multivitamin contains retinol (vitamin A not just the precursor beta carotene) and is not out of date and has been stored in a cool dry place. If it is old or mishandled get a new container.
Antibiotic eye ointments like Terramycin can be of help but ultimately the examination, treatment and prescription medications available at an experienced veterinary facility are your best bet for good outcome.

Back
Top Bottom