Barely Eating

Paradalis

Avid Member
Hi I have a 5 and a half month year old panther chameleon. He is a male and has been in my care for about a month and a half. When I first got him he ate around 5-8 bugs a day. Then he would eat everything he was offered. He has slowly been cutting down on what he has been eating. For the past 2 days it has been 2 bugs a day. Is he getting ready to shed? Am I overreacting? He also flares up at the bugs I offer him after he takes 2 bugs. I recently posted the thread, “Scared of Bugs?” should I Look back there and see if you guys already told me what to do?

let’s do a full husbandry review if you are open to it. Pics of your boy (when he wakes up) and pics of the enclosure including lights on the top would also be helpful. I’ll attached the husbandry form for you.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem -

Here it is! This is the one @MissSkittles looked at and commented on. And he has never been tested for parasites.

From just an initial quick glance, all looks good. 😊

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Ambanja Panther, Male, and 5 months. 1 and a half months
  • Handling - Twice a week (he is super calm)? Even though he may be calm, it’s always good to work on and reinforce trust. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/
  • Feeding - Crickets and Dubias as staple feeders and superworms as treat bugs. About 8 bugs. Everyday at 11:35 and I check on his eating at 3:35 and 7:35. Adding more variety is always best. Lately grasshoppers are more readily available and everyone’s chameleons seem to be enjoying them. (I haven’t tried them yet) https://feedmychameleon.com/collections/feeder-grasshoppers-for-sale Are you using a feeding station? I like and use the shooting gallery and have made my own versions from a plastic food container. https://tkchameleons.com/products/shooting-gallery?variant=30018608595032 H with carrots and sweet potatoes. Good start, but you’ll want to add more variety. Along with the same produce that I make my bearded dragons salads from, I add a bit of Repashy Bug Burger (that I’ve added a tiny pinch of bee pollen and spirulina to) to round things out.
  • Supplements - Arcadia earth pro a : everyday except for the 1st and 14th of the month and Reptivite: 1st and 14th of the month I’m going to assume your ReptiVite has D3 in it?
  • Watering - I fog and mist every night. A minute 3 times a night. Yes I see him drink every once in a while. What about during the day? Is best to mist for at least 2 minutes right before lights go on and off. If needed you could add a mid day misting or use a dripper for about 15 minutes.
  • Fecal Description - Cream, moist, seems good. Hasn’t been tested for parasites. It’s always ideal to have a wellness check to meet your exotics vet (pray you never need them) and have a fecal done.
  • History - No he hasn’t shown any signs of sickness and seems well. Awesome! 💗
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Zoomed screen 24x24x48 and sealed with duck window seal on back and sides. Excellent
  • Lighting -Wh Arcadia UVB: What is the strength of your uvb bulb? If you’ve forgotten, it’s printed on the end of the bulb. What is the distance between basking area and lights? 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Arcadia LED: 8:00 to a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Perfect schedule Zoomed deep dome and exo terra heat bulb: 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. I can’t comment much on this, but many do limit their basking lights to just a few hours. As long as temps don’t drastically chill later in the afternoon, it’s good.
  • Temperature - Basking: 82 degrees During Day: 77 to 72 degrees Night: 66 degrees Thermometer connected to phone. Perfect
  • Humidity - During Day: 50% Night: 70% Hygrometer connected to phone. Perfect
  • Plants - Live plants: 3 pothos, 1 monstera, 2 banana plants small though Interesting. You’ll have to let us know how the banana plants do.
  • Placement - I have it by the dining room. Not really much people go there and it’s not by any air vents. About 2 and a half ft of the ground. Should I assume it’s sitting on a table that is 2.5’ high? If so, perfect. Height is safety.
  • Location - Texas, USA
Current Problem - If I got everything right 😅 Yup! I think you do. 😊 Great job! 🌟🌟🌟

Since the majority of vets won’t do a fecal without a visit, I would definitely make that vet appointment. Usually as panthers start reaching full maturity, they will start cutting back on eating all on their own. However, panthers mature a bit slower and so it’s not something that can be expected much before around at least 10-12 months old or older. Right now he’s still growing and needing good nutrition. Double check that your temps are in range, as if they’ve gotten too cool, that would affect his appetite too.

Yesterday my chameleon was lethargic and dark colored and when I checked the temps in his enclosure and my house they were cold so I made them the right temperature. Then he was walking around and being normal. I hope he’s just cold.

Yesterday my chameleon was lethargic and dark colored and when I checked the temps in his enclosure and my house they were cold so I made them the right temperature. Then he was walking around and being normal. I hope he’s just cold.
Me too, but even a more minor parasite like pinworms can reduce the appetite. Two of my recently acquired chameleons have had parasites that affected their appetites. One was a wild caught veiled who was doing very poorly and I wasn’t sure he’d make it thru. He had Giardia. The other, a panther, has been in a good home for at least a year but always had a ‘picky’ appetite. He had pinworms. After treatments, both are eager eaters and doing wonderfully.

What kind of temp gages do you have? I really like to Govee hygrometers, you can program them to send you alerts on your phone if things get out of your programed temp range. I program mine so they alert me if temps get 1 degree above what is recommended for my species and to alert me when temps get 1 degree below the recommended ambient temp. Its super nice because I live in a state where temps fluctuate a lot from day to day.

The only thing I would say is get baby tested for parasites. I don't see anything in your husbandry that would make sense to why he isn't eating well.

How old is your UVB light?

Okay I will set the temp ranges up on my phone, screenshot them, and send them here. But should I wait until he is done basking or take it now or take it both?

Back
Top Bottom