Sick cham

Sucks really in a bad spot. Don't know who to talk to. After losing a reptile I was close to. Wanna cut open my arm am do depressed. Don't have friends or family to cry to. Drank bottle an half of vodka. Just feel like piece of it. Have to bury this Cham soon. But real replies am I a pos? I have ADHD its like circle of thoughts. An Hate myself right now.

You are not a pos! You tried to give this guy a good home and conflicting information from different sources has made it even more difficult. It is tough that they are very tender creatures but are just so amazing to see and own. I really hope your guy can pull through this and you as well. I am a fairly new keeper and made many mistakes, to the point my guy lost several spikes on his back due to a burn from his basking area being too hot. It’s permanent damage I look at every day and kick myself for. We are human, we make mistakes but I feel it was a mistake I shouldn’t have made.
Is willamston Michigan far from you? I believe there’s a vet : Cedar Creek Veterinary Clinic is one on our list of referred vets. If they are too far, maybe they could recommend someone closer to you. Call vets around your area and ask for recommendations.
I am very sorry you’re dealing with this and don't give up on yourself.
I also thought I saw a rescue someone posted earlier in the the thread or a name of one, maybe get in touch with them and they can recommend a vet to visit.
If your guy is still alive this morning it means you still have a little time to act.
Thinking of you and him!
Not sure how far you got with the syringe and water to hydrate but rule of thumb is to not give to the front of the mouth. Slowly release the water from the syringe to the back of the mouth from the side. If you go in front of the mouth you could aspirate him. 🤞 and pulling for you.

Banded crickets an original dubia.
Got it. I would probably have more food in there. What are the powders on the sides?

I feed my dubia and crickets food off of the chart I attached for here for you. You can make the gut load and freeze it for easier feeding or you just feed them the fresh veggies on the list. I always include cut up oranges as an extra water source for the bugs. I've also attached a photo of my cricket bin so you have a visual example, in case that is helpful. The ugly looking brown/green block is the frozen gutload. I change their food out every other day and deep clean the bin once a week.

Attachments

• Gut Load.jpg
    Gut Load.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG-7612.jpg
    IMG-7612.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 45
Thank you! It honestly sucks I raised him since 3 months old. Been doing very well until last week. Noticed stopped eating an thought maybe was shed. I noticed that was looming. I'm type to not get very close. But being human we make mistakes. An I did with this guy in some way. I cried alittle an still upset. Let the alcohol smother the sadness. Just really aggravated an pissed off atm. I feel like a failure an pos. An wanna give my other chameleons to someone better then myself. Op was right they deserve better an need do the right thing. 💔
I feel you, I am so attached to my chameleons. They are probably my favorite pets that I have, they defiantly sneak their way into your heart.

Chameleons are really good at hiding their illness. Its ok go cry over this, I did as well. Your beautiful boy has been in my thoughts all night. Don't beat yourself up over this.

Is there something you can do you honor your boy?

I didn't know you had other chameleons. Why do you feel giving them to someone else would be the better option for them?

Question* if I live in Manhattan illinois. Where would be best exotic vet to take my chameleons? In close distance
That is a really good question. I am not from that area so I personally don't know myself. I'll attach a spreadsheet I made with all the exotic vets with chameleon experience that other people have recommended in the past. Its organized by state, then city. If you can't find anything on the spreadsheet let me know and we can see if others on here know of any.

Attachments

• Exotic Vet Recommendations - U.S.A..pdf
    147.5 KB · Views: 55
Sucks really in a bad spot. Don't know who to talk to. After losing a reptile I was close to. Wanna cut open my arm am do depressed. Don't have friends or family to cry to. Drank bottle an half of vodka. Just feel like piece of it. Have to bury this Cham soon. But real replies am I a pos? I have ADHD its like circle of thoughts. An Hate myself right now.
You are not a pos. I can tell you loved your guy. You did the best you could and sometimes life happens and our animals pass.

If you are feeling unsafe I urge you to please call 911 and get some support while you are feeling unsafe.

Lets make sure you are ok first, then if you are open to it, lets look at your other babies. I'll post our husbandry form below, if are comfortable sharing the information, I'd be honored to help you with your other chameleons.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem -

I know I said I wouldn’t comment again, but I do want to say that I am very sorry for all that you are going thru. However I offended you, I apologize. It is never my intention to be mean or judgmental.
You are not a pos, nor a bad chameleon keeper. Your husbandry is really quite good. @elizaann2 will help you to make some small changes to make it perfect for your other chameleons.
It is horrible to lose a beloved animal. You are not alone though. You have the love and support of this community. You do not deserve the pain and punishment you are inflicting upon yourself. In this, I am a human nurse and have over 30+ years of dealing with my own depression so do know a few things. One of the hardest things to do, is to seek and ask for help. However, please please please, reach out to someone professional if you are wanting to hurt yourself. There is help and there is hope. The hospital ERs never close and can always help. I pray you find peace and healing.

I know I said I wouldn’t comment again, but I do want to say that I am very sorry for all that you are going thru. However I offended you, I apologize. It is never my intention to be mean or judgmental.
You are not a pos, nor a bad chameleon keeper. Your husbandry is really quite good. @elizaann2 will help you to make some small changes to make it perfect for your other chameleons.
It is horrible to lose a beloved animal. You are not alone though. You have the love and support of this community. You do not deserve the pain and punishment you are inflicting upon yourself. In this, I am a human nurse and have over 30+ years of dealing with my own depression so do know a few things. One of the hardest things to do, is to seek and ask for help. However, please please please, reach out to someone professional if you are wanting to hurt yourself. There is help and there is hope. The hospital ERs never close and can always help. I pray you find peace and healing.
Thank you for the kind words. I am thinking of finding medical help. I woke up today an can barely walk. It maybe alcohol poisoning unsure. Just had another question how do you know. If a chameleon has really passed on. An when they do is burying the best option?

Attachments

• 20230819_150313.jpg
    20230819_150313.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 41
Thank you for the kind words. I am thinking of finding medical help. I woke up today a can barely walk. It maybe alcohol poisoning unsure. Just had another question how do you know. If a chameleon has really passed on. A when they do is burying the best option?
Yes, please take care of yourself and get help. Drinking that much vodka puts quite a burden in your body and is basically poisoning your liver. Drink lots of water and get yourself somewhere that can help your body and spirit.
There is no need to suffer with untreated depression, adhd or any other conditions. There are very effective treatments and therapy is so easily accessible now. There is also usually grief support in most areas - check with your local hospices. Most have big hearts and recognize the grief of losing animal companions.
When my panther passed, I knew in my heart he was gone, but I needed to make absolutely certain. I put him in a small box cushioned with tissues and didn’t put the lid on until later the next day. I kept looking at him for any changes, breathing, anything at all - I was heartbroken, in denial and desperate not to lose him. It was only when his little body stiffened that I was able to put the lid on his box and take him to a vet for cremation.

@LoveGun78 - We are all here for your during your time of loss.

When you are ready, I would be honored to support you with any questions you have regarding your other chameleons. From what I can tell you have done a really good job with your husbandry and care. There are a few things I can see that may be beneficial to your current babies. Again, let me know when you are ready. I'm here.

Here’s a list of reptile vets in your state.

Illinois

ChicagoAnimal House of Chicago (Dr. de la Navarre)

DecaturNorthgate Pet Clinic

DundeeDundee Animal Hospital (Dr. O’Brien)

Elmwood ParkMidwest Bird and Exotic

HerrinQuality Care Animal Hospital (Dr. Parton)

Lisle
Ness Exotic Wellness Center

NilesNiles Animal Hospital and Bird Medical Center (Dr. Kline)

PeoriaAll Pet Veterinary Hospital (Dr. Burmeister)

PeoriaPrairie Animal Hospital (Dr. Grimm)

PetersburgPetersburg Veterinary Clinic (Dr. Shirding)

RoselleLake Street Animal Hospital (Dr. Caseltine)

Skokie Chicago Exotics Animal Hospital

UrbanaUniversity of Illinois Veterinary Teaching Hospital

Got it. I would probably have more food in there. What are the powders on the sides?

I feed my dubia and crickets food off of the chart I attached for here for you. You can make the gut load and freeze it for easier feeding or you just feed them the fresh veggies on the list. I always include cut up oranges as an extra water source for the bugs. I've also attached a photo of my cricket bin so you have a visual example, in case that is helpful. The ugly looking brown/green block is the frozen gutload. I change their food out every other day and deep clean the bin once a week.
That is the Arcadia gut load an the bee pollen. An thank you will be making changes to my current gut loading. An you would do the same with dubias?

@LoveGun78 - We are all here for your during your time of loss.

When you are ready, I would be honored to support you with any questions you have regarding your other chameleons. From what I can tell you have done a really good job with your husbandry and care. There are a few things I can see that may be beneficial to your current babies. Again, let me know when you are ready. I'm here.
Thank you I have a few others. A veiled male an 4 male panthers an 4 female panthers.

Here’s a list of reptile vets in your state.

Illinois

ChicagoAnimal House of Chicago (Dr. de la Navarre)

DecaturNorthgate Pet Clinic

DundeeDundee Animal Hospital (Dr. O’Brien)

Elmwood ParkMidwest Bird and Exotic

HerrinQuality Care Animal Hospital (Dr. Parton)

Lisle
Ness Exotic Wellness Center

NilesNiles Animal Hospital and Bird Medical Center (Dr. Kline)

PeoriaAll Pet Veterinary Hospital (Dr. Burmeister)

PeoriaPrairie Animal Hospital (Dr. Grimm)

PetersburgPetersburg Veterinary Clinic (Dr. Shirding)

RoselleLake Street Animal Hospital (Dr. Caseltine)

Skokie Chicago Exotics Animal Hospital

UrbanaUniversity of Illinois Veterinary Teaching Hospital
Thank you! Going to need look into this more. These are a good distance away.

That is the Arcadia gut load an the bee pollen. An thank you will be making changes to my current gut loading. An you would do the same with dubias?
I would. I have my crickets and dubias on the same gut load. I am not familiar with the Arcadia gut load powder, does it have you mix it with water or anything? Dubia and crickets get their water source from the food they eat so I imagine the straight powder won't give them what they need as far as moisture goes. If anything, just throw in a bunch of fresh veggies every day or every other day. I do that on top of the home made gutload I freeze and use.

Thank you I have a few others. A veiled male an 4 male panthers an 4 female panthers.
Wow you have a huge collection! I am a little jelly, I only have 3.

Do you want to share some photos of them with their enclosures? We can work on getting things squared away for them if you'd like.

Back
Top Bottom