Sick cham

LoveGun78

Hi, I have a male panther chameleon about 10-11 months of age. I been feeding banded crickets mostly an bsfl Flys. Basking 85f an Arcadia 6% t5. He has stopped eating an keeps doing odd things with his eyes. Like he's clearing the lens of pupil. Will move from away an to basking lamp with his eyes closed. No signs of respiratory with nose straight up. An no strings in his mouth. Just lays with his eyes closed until I tap enclosure an eyes will open. An does a odd thing with his eyes. Only concern is he won't eat. Will drink from ice cubes melting. I use a fogger at night an have mistking running twice a day. Before an after lights come on an off.
Just seeing what I can do for him. Can't take him to the vet. Thinking it's eye drops or flush or antibiotics related.
Don't know what cause this. He's been doing very well.

Attachments

• 20230815_191642.jpg
    20230815_191642.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20230816_031823_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230816_031823_Photos.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 44
Hello and welcome! I am sorry to hear your guy is sick, he is very beautiful. If you can fill out the husbandry form I've posted below that will help us help you. The more information you can provide the better. A lot of what goes wrong with these guys is husbandry related so hopefully we can help you figure something out.

Can you post a picture of your entire enclosure including the lights?

Is it possible to get a video of your guy doing the 'weird thing with his eyes'?

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem -

Hello and welcome! I am sorry to hear your guy is sick, he is very beautiful. If you can fill out the husbandry form I've posted below that will help us help you. The more information you can provide the better. A lot of what goes wrong with these guys is husbandry related so hopefully we can help you figure something out.

Can you post a picture of your entire enclosure including the lights?

Is it possible to get a video of your guy doing the 'weird thing with his eyes'?

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem -
Will do it asap thank you!

Going to post this an ill take photo of cage. An snap a video once he rest again. He's currently drinking the melting ice cubes. Added some crickets but doesn't seem to be interested in eating.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Panther male an 11 months old. 7 months in my care.

• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Never

• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? 12 banded 3/4 size crickets. Twice a week an bsfl once a week. I gutload with green beans collard greens carrots. An big burger an Arcadia insect fuel

• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule? Repashy supercal NoD every feeding an the repashy calcium plus LoD twice a month. An bee pollution used with the superclass NoD every feeding.

• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use the monsoon solo every 4hours for 20 seconds. Yes he's drinking the leafs the ice cubes melt on.

• Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Dark brown an white urates. Latest one was solid brown an orange/red urates. Constipation very large stool. An never been tested.

• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. No change in care an was doing very well

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 18"18"36" tall with two sides window insulation plastic.

• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Arcadia 6% t5 but was told to use the 12% so am unsure on what one.

• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 86f basking lamp measured with temp gun. Bulb is yellow exo Terra 75w on a dimmer switch.

• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I don't measure humidity levels. Was told to never fog during lights on because of a respiratory problems. I use a humidity next to his cage at night.

• Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Margnata bush

• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It is on the floor next to my rhino iguanas enclosure.

• Location - Where are you geographically located? Close to Lake Michigan

Hi and welcome. From your video, it seems to be just the right eye. Have you seen him doing that to his left eye too? That is a ‘normal’ cleaning motion, however he’s doing it frequently and looks to have a bulge of some sort to the eye when he does it. The things that stand out in your husbandry are you are not misting for long enough. 20 seconds is nothing. You need your misting sessions to be at least 2 minutes which does provide for ample time to clean and lubricate the eyes and stimulates drinking too. Then, every four hours is too frequent. Misting should be twice a day - right before lights go on and off. Mid day using a dripper for 15-20 minutes is fine or you could give a 1 minute misting if needed. Then, you don’t monitor your humidity. Your guy could be too dry. The ideal daytime range is between 50-70% for panthers. Air that is too dry and not long enough misting could create dry irritated eyes and possibly contribute to debris getting trapped in them. This is just my opinion and I’m not a vet. I don’t know that this should cause him to stop eating, unless his vision is being affected or his eyes are causing pain. I would advise making the changes I suggest along with a vet appointment.
Other things that I don’t believe are related - I would skip giving him the bee pollen directly and instead give it to his feeders. In some chameleons bee pollen has caused edema.
Definitely need to improve on your feeder and gut loading variety. Attaching some graphics.
Is he able to see your iguana? If so, you’ll really need to block that view since it would be a cause of chronic stress. I see he’s by a window and has a reflection of himself - another stressor for him. Then, for chams height = safety. Raising his enclosure on a table or something will help him feel more comfortable and safer. Last, is the size of his enclosure…it’s a bit small. The minimum standard is 2x2x4’. I had my males in double sized enclosures and they used all of the space. You could get another enclosure of the same size and join them together. https://chameleonacademy.com/double-wide-chameleon-cage-project/ Your handsome guy would really appreciate having all that room.

IMG_0151.jpeg
IMG_1188.jpeg

He has been doing cleanse with both eyes. There's alot of misinformation with misting. Don't do it while lights are on. An before an after lights come on an off. I don't risk it unless I use the little dripper or ice cubes. Little dripper is a pain to use. I can give feeders the bee pollen. Was told on fb groups to use it every feeding. He can see the rhino iguana. An rhino seemed to want to eat him. But blocked it with a spacer. With his current activity. Been drinking alot from melted ice cubes. Not interested in his usual feeders. Even tried the bsfl fly form today. Seems to be weakening. Thinking it's a eye infection with what I looked into. Just odd I kept his enclosure clean an removed uneaten insects daily. Looking to give him to a rescue. Thinking he doesn't have much time left. An going to die without meds for his current issue. Thats what I been looking into today but can't find a rescue for him.

Attachments

• 20230817_220210.jpg
    20230817_220210.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 40
He has been doing cleanse with both eyes. There's alot of misinformation with misting. Don't do it while lights are on. A before an after lights come on an off. There’s a lot of misinformation about all husbandry for chameleons. It is safe to mist as I suggested. This is what I and most others here do with their chameleons. I don't risk it unless I use the little dripper or ice cubes. Little dripper is a pain to use. Yes, it is. I don’t use a dripper - just misting. I can give feeders the bee pollen. Was told on fb groups to use it every feeding. Some use it directly with no problem and others have issues. I much prefer to give it to my feeders to pass on. He can see the rhino iguana. This will be a constant stressor and is not good at all. A rhino seemed to want to eat him. But blocked it with a spacer. Yes, the iguana may not be stressed with seeing the cham, but the cham will definitely be stressed seeing the iguana. With his current activity. Been drinking alot from melted ice cubes. Please, try misting the plants near him for a good two full minutes. If he starts drinking a lot, keep misting until he stops. With limited hydration, it’s possible his kidneys are not doing good on top of the eye problem. Although, everything with the body is connected in one way or the other. Not interested in his usual feeders. Even tried the bsfl fly form today. Seems to be weakening. Thinking it's an eye infection with what I looked into. Just odd I kept his enclosure clean a removed uneaten insects daily. Yes, this is important, but you need to have your husbandry as perfect as possible or it can catch up like this and cause problems. Looking to give him to a rescue. Is this what you really want to do? Thinking he doesn't have much time left. An going to die without meds for his current issue. Are you not able to take him to a vet? Thats what I been looking into today but can't find a rescue for him. I don’t know how close these are to you. You may need to drive a bit for a good rescue as they are often few and far between. https://www.savingscalesmi.org/ https://www.facebook.com/nnreptiles/ https://badgerlandrescue.com/ @jannb do you know of any rescues that may take OP’s chameleon?
In the meantime, try misting as I suggest and see how he does with that.

He has been doing cleanse with both eyes. There's alot of misinformation with misting. Don't do it while lights are on. A before an after lights come on an off. There’s a lot of misinformation about all husbandry for chameleons. It is safe to mist as I suggested. This is what I and most others here do with their chameleons. I don't risk it unless I use the little dripper or ice cubes. Little dripper is a pain to use. Yes, it is. I don’t use a dripper - just misting. I can give feeders the bee pollen. Was told on fb groups to use it every feeding. Some use it directly with no problem and others have issues. I much prefer to give it to my feeders to pass on. He can see the rhino iguana. This will be a constant stressor and is not good at all. A rhino seemed to want to eat him. But blocked it with a spacer. Yes, the iguana may not be stressed with seeing the cham, but the cham will definitely be stressed seeing the iguana. With his current activity. Been drinking alot from melted ice cubes. Please, try misting the plants near him for a good two full minutes. If he starts drinking a lot, keep misting until he stops. With limited hydration, it’s possible his kidneys are not doing good on top of the eye problem. Although, everything with the body is connected in one way or the other. Not interested in his usual feeders. Even tried the bsfl fly form today. Seems to be weakening. Thinking it's an eye infection with what I looked into. Just odd I kept his enclosure clean a removed uneaten insects daily. Yes, this is important, but you need to have your husbandry as perfect as possible or it can catch up like this and cause problems. Looking to give him to a rescue. Is this what you really want to do? Thinking he doesn't have much time left. An going to die without meds for his current issue. Are you not able to take him to a vet? Thats what I been looking into today but can't find a rescue for him. I don’t know how close these are to you. You may need to drive a bit for a good rescue as they are often few and far between. https://www.savingscalesmi.org/ https://www.facebook.com/nnreptiles/ https://badgerlandrescue.com/ @jannb do you know of any rescues that may take OP’s chameleon?
None if this is helping the cham in anyway. If he dies he dies. Not giving reason to take to vet. Seems be people who don't know what there doing giving. Am willing to help him. But doesn't seem case. If he dies he dies nothing i can do. These things shouldn't be pet's if nothing can be done for them. Even if a ri happens. Honestly worse pet ever. This boy will die. Thanks for uneeded help by someone that thinks an isn't a vet.

Cheryl Garcia would take him at Another Chance Sanctuary. She has vets that know chameleons well. I can put you in touch with her if you’d like?

None if this is helping the cham in anyway. If he dies he dies. Not giving reason to take to vet. Seems be people who don't know what there doing giving. Am willing to help him. But doesn't seem case. If he dies he dies nothing i can do. These things shouldn't be pet's if nothing can be done for them. Even if a ri happens. Honestly worse pet ever. This boy will die. Thanks for uneeded help by someone that thinks an isn't a vet.
If you’re not willing to accept help and do what’s best for your cham, start another thread and give your location so he can be rehomed to a responsible keeper. Please refrain from attacking people who are just trying to help your cham get better. I think you underestimate how much proper husbandry can impact a chameleons health. All of the advice given could make a big difference if you’re willing to take it.

I’m sorry, but I’m not sure I understand you here. Have I upset or offended you in some manner? I thought you were looking for some advice or help with your guy’s problems. Now you are saying that you’re just going to let him die. Why would you do that? There is much to be done to help sick chameleons, but their keeper needs to be willing and able to put in some effort and seek care from a veterinarian. It’s like this for all animals. Regardless, I do hope you find someone who will take your chameleon and is able and willing to get treatment for it. Since you do not seem to care for me, I’ll be taking my leave of this thread. Wishing you a peaceful day.

His progression has worsen today. Not even drinking water drips. Very lethargic an probably wouldn't make it long enough for a vet or rescue. Must be insect or injury related. Either way is going to die. Smh

Attachments

• 20230818_160933.jpg
    20230818_160933.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 43
This makes me really sad. I think everyone is trying so hard to help I don’t know what happen that made you upset but please reconsider and do what’s been suggested. He’s an innocent animal and is dependent on you…

This makes me really sad. I think everyone is trying so hard to help I don’t know what happen that made you upset but please reconsider and do what’s been suggested. He’s an innocent animal and is dependent on you…
Is what it is. Things get sick an progress fast.

He doesn't look to be beyond help to me. Even if you gave him up to a rescue, they may be able to help him. Please consider this.

Back
Top Bottom