Record keeping for Ryker's eye recovery

Andee

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I generally have this in this category so I don't clog up the Health Clinic in case there are actual cases that need help. If someone feels it needs to moved they can either move it or I can if asked. But I am not asking for help, just keeping track on what has helped my panther (Ryker) who is not around 4 and a half or so years old gain a little bit of his sight back. Ryker has some eye issues that I have noticed in one other chameleon (the exact symptoms) and I think 3-4 others who generally have the possible beginnings of his issues. All of these panthers that I mention are ambanja or ambilobe (which he has a lot of in his bloodline, he is a hybrid), and are either 4 years old, coming close to 4 years, or above 4 years.

Ryker has general sensitivity to strong lights. Has several burns because of the light being to "strong" (the temperature was no higher than 92 degrees) and the light was 6-8 inches away at basking level. He had a heavily planted cage in the canopy area and all through out the lower areas. Originally I though he "burned" his eyes in a way when I used a halogen which he apparently can't tolerate even in lower wattages than 40. I don't think is the actual cause of his issues, but I think it did cause it to get worse much sooner. His pupils aren't scarred and doesn't show cataracts. He has been to the vet multiple times for this issue, his eyes have been flushed, he's been given vitamin shots and he has liquid calicium, he also has had ointments though he shows no sign of infection at all. Eventually I asked about his pupils, she was surprised about the question but then she asked if he has not always had eyes like this. I said no, and then said his eyes have always been like his left eye (which doesn't have the weird problem his right eye had at the time). She started to wonder about possible genetic problems.

I started searching for things that could make his life easier. He still drinks and gets around just fine. But now his left eye is also showing deterioration (what I mean by that is both pupils have a constricted look all the time, and a white ring constantly surrounds them, the right one is much worse now). He seems to have an over sensetivity to lights because of it. I have put an extra layer of screening under my uvb light just to make it easier on his eyes.

I only feed a liquid diet with him, I make my own, blended bugs etc with vitamins added. I ended up going with Repashy LoD every feeding, though only usually doing half the 4 mls I gave him were spiked with it. I did notice a change once I started doing this "dusting" schedule with him. He was more likely to keep him eyes open more often and longer. With @kelly_girl199 's help I was able to learn more about liquid vitamin A and how to give a proper dose. I went to the vitamin shop we have available to us (considering I asked my vet when I was taking in one of the hamster's and she felt as long as I was safe with it, it should be fine to do), and got one of the lower dosage ones available but still high quality. I ended up finding out a really easy way to dose him with food and vitamin A at the same time to make sure no vomitting happened due to, too much oil.

It has officially been just under three weeks since his first dose (I have adjusted my Repashy dosing accordingly, not giving it at all some days). I have noticed a huge change. Well huge for me considering I honestly wasn't sure if this would help at all. I am not expecting any sort of cure from this, I am just hoping a little bit better sight will happen so he gets around better, or can even feed himself on good days. The last three days have been more noticeable in the change because his eyes have been staying open much longer periods, and the last two days he almost seems to see more out of his left eye (better eye). I know he can see shadows and if I am about two-four inches away I do get some tracking movements from him. Which is an amazing step. Before he would show no tracking and no reaction to shadows or movements in general. I plan to keep you updated as we get further into this. The first month or two I plan to do two doses of the liquid vitamin A at the amount I am doing, which is about half a drop. But I hope to be able to back off to once a month at most. No signs of hypervitamonosis at all. I hope this helps anyway who may be having these issues. Opinions and questions are welcome.

Thanks for this Andee and I hope the little guy pulls through. I have a question though: what do you mean a white ring around his eye? Like around the lids of the eyes or in the actual eye? How often are you giving him the vitamin a? And when did you first notice this problem?

(I think thread will be a big help for anyone going through or will go through (hopefully no one does) at some time.)

It's not the eyelid. It's actually around his pupil, it is like a few millimeters on the inside so there is just a thin amount of black outside the white ring, so it's obviously not normal and noticeable. When he is more accepting and generally keeps his eyes open long I hope to get pictures of both sides to show what they look like and the extreme difference. His eyes first started to have problems around 3 and a half, around then I had changed to Reptivite with D3 as a multivitamin to help in some way I hoped. But I was only dosing twice a month. He continued to decline until he was 4 even with multiple vet interventions. The most change I saw was when she injected him with the Vit A+D3 combo she does. This perked him up for about ... 1 month. But she was afraid to do too much and was hesitant to keep doing it. That's when I looked into all in one dusts and why certain vitamins may not be absorbing well. Which is why I always recommend all in ones anymore. It's not only more natural but it also allows for better absorption due to so many vitamins needing certain other vitamins or minerals being present at the time they are administered for them to be taken in and used at any useful level.

So with the liquid vitamin A, I gave him his first dose of it around the 16? Of this month? Don't know the quite date, it's been pretty much exactly 2 and a half weeks. I plan on dosing him again on the 3rd of next month, the day before doing so I will not give any repashy and the day before that I will only give one ml of food with repashy in it.

The actual dosage I chose, since it is a human gel capsule, was the lowest I could get, which 10,000 IU allowing me to worry less about overdosing. I personally would not go above 15,000 IUs and if I couldn't find it locally would have no problem ordering it just for the peace of mind.

I use a brand new needle and prick the gel cap and just squeeze until I get a small drop and smear it inside an oral syringe, then I mix it well in his liquid food when I draw up some of it in the syringe. Then since I can stick the syringe in the back of his throat and just shoot it in he has less likely hood of throwing up from too much oil in his mouth.

I mean honestly the amount of improvement I have seen already has made me hopeful for improvement even if it's just in his left eye. His right eye may be way too far gone. Not really sure. I am not sure if it is genetic or not. He was my first chameleon and I was learning a lot with him for his first two years. He also was bought from one of the best forum sponsors on here so if it is genetic I can't imagine they had any idea about it. I have met them in person at some reptile conventions they are amazing people. It's just been happening a lot to people lately and specifically to the panthers that mentioned within the range I mentioned with him. The thing is all those keepers that had those same issues with those same criteria knew what they were doing and were great keepers and most had great vets. So a lot of its just kind of like?... So I am hoping if my experiments with Ryker works and he does get better, especially considering what we've tried and I am prepared and know what to look for if things start going bad, considering he is just deteriorating as far as eyesight goes until now... I mean honestly I just hope to save his left eye a bit.

So for you guys who are paying attention to the progress of this thread. I have given Ryker his second dose of liquid vit A in this last 4 weeks. I tapered the repashy specifically over the last couple days so he went two days without any in his system. Once again this was about half a drop, in a full 1 cc syringe. He will have three more cc today with nothing but insects and veggies/water. Will keep you updated with progress.

I see no signs at all of hypervitaminosis. Hoping to back off to one drop a month in the next month or two.

I am hoping to do so soon. Getting him to keep them open is hard. He also does the stressed thing when I open the cage. He does better when I take him outside so I might do some close up eye pics when he's outside. Usually if I am just looking at him through the cage, he does have open moments (which are more often) and close moments. I have had days, where he's having a relatively good day with keeping them open and being relatively active, during these days I test how much he actually tracks. In his good eye he does have some tracking motions which he hasn't had before (when he got this bad). Still not seeing tons of improvement with his really bad eye, other than more opening and general more cleaning and swiveling actions. Which is more improvement anyway. In the mornings when I am awake early enough to be awake when the lights turn on and basking happens first few hours... he is definitely showing more of the typical male chameleon activities that I haven't seen for a while. Which involves the morning puffing and showing off with rocking and pretty colors. I am hopeful it just means he is generally feeling better.

Try use his favorite feeder( silky etc) to see if his eye following ur movement,so he can start using more of his eye muscles in daily basis.
Seeing improvements its a good sign,picture like a after surgery eye patient,it will take sometime to heal slowly,hope in no time sooner.
Also keep the cage as clean as possible , a clean environment is always a better place to speed up the recovery.

Also dont forget to use some ginger n garlic on ur dry gutload,the power of those 2ingredients its unbelievable in my opinion,especially Ryker is a elder cham,he will need all the good nutrition to help him,keep us posted on his results,I will send my good vibe in his way ,there are too many beautiful thing in this world need to be seen from the Ryker own eyes!!

Thanks he definitely needs all the good thoughts people can spare. I will likely be ordering some silks soon. I didn't have a good turn out with cocooning with my last batch, which was surprising to me considering how healthy they were until that stage. I just need to wait until the pay check. Silks are definitely his favorite. I may actually buy a small batch of hornworms because those are his absolute top favorite, I just usually hate keeping them. But if they help with judging improvement and maybe even entice him to eat on his own if he sees them well enough I would be ecstatic.

Try set up a cup feeding in his usual hang out spot,he might just suprise u with his feeder strikes ability,I believe the panther cham has some type of intelligence within them,they are fairly to adapt into their environment n their feeder catching skill,they will use every skill to improve their disadvantaged.....
Call me crazy.....I believe instead of Im watching them every day,as much as they are watching every move I take in their presence,they be thinking .....who is this guy,feeding us n pampering us all the time to bring our food n pick up all our poops,he is our new bitchsitter ,just watching him work:rolleyes:

Try set up a cup feeding in his usual hang out spot,he might just suprise u with his feeder strikes ability,I believe the panther cham has some type of intelligence within them,they are fairly to adapt into their environment n their feeder catching skill,they will use every skill to improve their disadvantaged.....
Call me crazy.....I believe instead of Im watching them every day,as much as they are watching every move I take in their presence,they be thinking .....who is this guy,feeding us n pampering us all the time to bring our food n pick up all our poops,he is our new bitchsitter ,just watching him work:rolleyes:

I have a feeder cup set up.... but I may need to move it. The sad thing is he doesn't seem to have many favorite spots at the moment. There is kind of normal basking spots but they aren't as regular as they would be if he was more aware. He randomly crawls to places he wouldn't be normally. He also doesn't seem to realize where he is climbing most of the time (makes sense and all) other than touch he doesn't have much way to tell, often he ends up on the screen (which he had stopped doing about 1 year old) and he ends up getting stuck in certain places on the screen because he can't tell where he is and is afraid of falling. I am setting up a catch net this weekend, just so in case he does fall randomly I don't have to worry so much about me not being there to pull him down from dangerous areas and falling wouldn't be as worrisome. I have done at least one chameleon rescue situation a day lately. He has great leg strength and hasn't actually fallen from what I know of. He just ends up in weird places where he could easily move wrong and fall or his nails rip. It's hard to discourage that behavior too because he isn't that aware of doing it.

I have a feeder cup set up.... but I may need to move it. The sad thing is he doesn't seem to have many favorite spots at the moment. There is kind of normal basking spots but they aren't as regular as they would be if he was more aware. He randomly crawls to places he wouldn't be normally. He also doesn't seem to realize where he is climbing most of the time (makes sense and all) other than touch he doesn't have much way to tell, often he ends up on the screen (which he had stopped doing about 1 year old) and he ends up getting stuck in certain places on the screen because he can't tell where he is and is afraid of falling. I am setting up a catch net this weekend, just so in case he does fall randomly I don't have to worry so much about me not being there to pull him down from dangerous areas and falling wouldn't be as worrisome. I have done at least one chameleon rescue situation a day lately. He has great leg strength and hasn't actually fallen from what I know of. He just ends up in weird places where he could easily move wrong and fall or his nails rip. It's hard to discourage that behavior too because he isn't that aware of doing it.
No problem,if I were u ,I will set up 2 cup feeder spots or even 3,4year old panther cham is considered a senior,u have to set his cage up like a senior home so to speak.....
Safety net,multiple cup feeders.....whatever u can think of just to make his later life more easier ,he doesnt have to "work" as hard as when he was younger,Ryker needs to be retired,the time is now,get him as comfortable as he can get.

I definitely have enough cups to use. I have also switched to shallower cups with more slick sides so the feeders I feed tend to not be able to escape at all but if he is able to notice movement I think the shallower cups would be more helpful for that. I will look into possible good spots over the next day to see where he visits most on a 12 hour basis. Thanks so much @alphakenc he's my first senior as most of my other babies end up going to new homes once I get them back into shape.

I definitely have enough cups to use. I have also switched to shallower cups with more slick sides so the feeders I feed tend to not be able to escape at all but if he is able to notice movement I think the shallower cups would be more helpful for that. I will look into possible good spots over the next day to see where he visits most on a 12 hour basis. Thanks so much @alphakenc he's my first senior as most of my other babies end up going to new homes once I get them back into shape.
I sincerely wish u the best luck with Ryker,me and u both know how precious these chams are,and I like ur idea of the shallower cup as long is no cricket in there lol,Ryker will be just fine under ur care,only in time my friend........

Ok Ryker got his second Vit A treatment, I haven't seen tons of eye improvement yet since I last saw eye improvement, it's staying about the same, but his eyes are still regularly staying more open than they used to. I got the the hornworms today, he definitely doesn't see them. I have been thinking about trying flies later down the row. But it has been around 5 or so days, which is when I started seeing general improvements last time, I did not see tons of eye improvements this time (as said above) but I did see a HUGE amount of... what I would call "feeling better" attitude. When I went to give him his daily meds today and general oral feeding, he fought me a lot and immediately. Which IS NOT normal. He gaped and thrashed immediately. Which I know this is weird, but made me giddy. Even though he is my lax boy, when he was healthy and could see giving meds was easy because he didn't fight tons but he did always gape and struggle a bit. I never had issues with him staying mad afterward though. Even now he doesn't stay mad. But the fact he has gone from, just sitting there and lethargic/accepting, to "I don't wanna" attitude, makes me feel great! I am so excited with this new turn of events ^^

I am so happy to hear that Ryker is on the mend and I commend you for taking the time and giving him your all to help him be the best he can be. I'm glad to hear he's starting to get some "fight" back in him. Keep up the good work!

So checked on Ryker today after his morning mist, his eyes are wide open and he tracked me a bit. Decided to try a hornworm (chose one of the bigger ones for this though they are still rather small) and he still didn't notice it at all. I figure I will grow a few of them out to a much larger size... around 2 inches? Hoping by then he will track them easier. I am buying some wax worms today specifically to raise them to moth form to see if I can interest him with those, and maybe see if I can get some black soldier fly larvae at a closer pet store before resorting to online (because if I do online I am going to order quite a few things). So he does notice more in my opinion than what he used to, he does see larger shapes (such as me) and does more tracking movements with his eyes because of it. With smaller objects like half inch hornworms, he doesn't even give them the time of day, just because I don't think he sees them. Hopefully it will get better. He's still getting oral feeding. He is on more of a maintenance dose now, he gets around 3 cc a day, or if I do every other day he gets 4 cc if he will put up with it XD.

Ryker got his weekly shower today, I usually try to do twice a week but it's been hard keeping the water warm enough for him to be tolerant of it for longer than 8 minutes. This times I was able to do 16 minutes. He drank well and cleaned his eyes. Afterward he was keeping his eyes open well when I put him in his cage. Even his bad one. I want to say his better eye looked slightly better (as far as the horrid white ring that plagues his pupil) but I don't know for sure because the only way I could get him to keep it open was in a room with low light. He wasn't tracking a lot but I think he was more worried about cleaning his eyes, which I always encourage. His eyes always seem to feel better after a shower. I think it's because he doesn't take full advantage of the mistings even though I do prolonged mistings for him and sometimes mist by hand just so he can have warm water as well. Either way, he isn't much of a misting guy, but love his showers. I try to provide them as often as possible but lately with the temps we are at it's been hard. We will see in the coming days whether the shower has helped at all with along with the Vit A additions.

Back
Top Bottom