Chameleon eye closed

Ok so set the fixture directly on top running across the middle of the tote. Branches sitting no higher than 2 inches off the bottom. Then put in a small pothos plant. Make sure it is not a tall one. If needed you can cut some long vines from one and then just wrap the end in a papertowel soaked in water. This keeps the baby low in the bin and prevents it from being able to climb out or fall and hurt itself.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 16
So like this with the screen door on top or jus running across?
That is going to be too high. You need to be able to monitor baby. You do not want a ton of foliage because you have to try to get him to see the feeders to eat them.

With it sitting so high you will have to cover that. Issue is most screen is fiberglass and will block a ton of the UVB lighting. So if you buy it to cover you have to have aluminum screen like the cage is made of.

No wet paper towels up on the sides.

This was mine... Aluminum window screen on top so the UVB could go through it correctly. Then my T5HO was sitting directly on top.

Bin.JPG

I’ve had babies that had eye problems with the UV light being to close to the cage or baby bin especially if it’s a new bulb. Try raising the light way up off the cage. I would recommend putting him in a baby bin until his health improves. Here’s some pictures of my bins and lights. BTW I use a 5.0 on babies.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/baby-enclosures.182279/#post-1661743

Read post 2 and 4

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/newly-hatchling-sleeping-during-the-day.62975/#post-587077
Steve Sims raised 100’s of panthers and veileds successfully. Many parsons, too. I sure miss having him around.

That is going to be too high. You need to be able to monitor baby. You do not want a ton of foliage because you have to try to get him to see the feeders to eat them.

With it sitting so high you will have to cover that. Issue is most screen is fiberglass and will block a ton of the UVB lighting. So if you buy it to cover you have to have aluminum screen like the cage is made of.

No wet paper towels up on the sides.

This was mine... Aluminum window screen on top so the UVB could go through it correctly. Then my T5HO was sitting directly on top.

View attachment 349812
Okay I got it set up almost exactly like this with the uvb on top jus had to move the screen enclosure I got the crickets in there with food for them as well anything I’m missing ?

Okay I got it set up almost exactly like this with the uvb on top jus had to move the screen enclosure I got the crickets in there with food for them as well anything I’m missing ?
Just keep an eye on him. You have to be careful with the crickets running loose in there because they will chew on baby when lights are off.

The crickets could possibly chew on your Cham at all times not just when the lights are off especially since he’s lethargic and they are free roaming near him in such a very small container he can’t really get away from them that could be extra stress. Im wondering how many small crickets you have in there with him right now and how he is reacting to this with his condition, has he voluntary ate yet or tried that you know of is he moving around at all or is he staying in the same spot letting the crickets crawl all over him with no reaction or is he alert and defensive? Can you post a photo of how he looks right now so we can see how he is reacting to this new environment and please keep us updated.

Last edited:
His mouth is never open unless he is drinking the saliva dosent seem to be stringy or thick. Urates are slightly orangey and the shots were I think vitamins b and iron the vitamin b might have been a multivitamin I can’t remember and yes that is the temperature for the basking but the vet said it should be at 90
90F is too night for a young veiled IMHO. I would lower it to about 80F.

If he’s drinking but not eating, then you could try sticking an appropriate sized cricket between his teeth as he’s opening and shutting his mouth to drink. He may eat this way without having to force feed him.

The eyes being shut during the day are a definite concern. You may need a good chameleon vet to deal with this issue.

The crickets could possibly chew on your Cham at all times not just when the lights are off especially since he’s lethargic and they are free roaming near him in such a very small container he can’t really get away from them that could be extra stress. Im wondering how many small crickets you have in there with him right now and how he is reacting to this with his condition, has he voluntary ate yet or tried that you know of is he moving around at all or is he staying in the same spot letting the crickets crawl all over him with no reaction or is he alert and defensive? Can you post a photo of how he looks right now so we can see how he is reacting to this new environment and please keep us updated.
He hasn’t eaten yet I have about 15 in there with him he moved around a little bit and then settled on the floor for a sleeping spot

90F is too night for a young veiled IMHO. I would lower it to about 80F.

If he’s drinking but not eating, then you could try sticking an appropriate sized cricket between his teeth as he’s opening and shutting his mouth to drink. He may eat this way without having to force feed him.

The eyes being shut during the day are a definite concern. You may need a good chameleon vet to deal with this issue.
i agree with @kinyonga on this I think you could possibly get him to voluntarily eat the cricket if you can get one slipped in while he’s drinking or gaping or any time he’s got his mouth open, he will instinctively swallow it

Is your baby shedding? Sometimes the skin can get stuck in the eye. If both eyes are closed for most of the day and his head is pointing up, he might have an upper respiratory infection. I would wait one or two more days and then take him in for a checkup at your local exotic vet. I hope he gets better soon!!

update: his appointment went well the doctor said that the last vet didn’t really know what she was talking about and he gave Cosmo a shot of vitamin a and b12 and gave him like an iv for chameleons and told me if he lived through the night the plan would be to get him started on liquid food so my little guy did survive he is very weak though not very strong like he has been but I figure that’s because he got a lot of medicine so he is just laying down I did pick him up to check and he moved a little bit jus not very much. The vet also said he has seen chameleons recover from this.

He also said that it seemed his eyes were closed from a vitamin a deficiency which led to him not eating he said he didn’t see any respiratory issues

Back
Top Bottom