closed eyes

i will! also one last (maybe can’t promise) question, is it unusual that my baby hasn’t shedded yet? i’ve had him about a month and he hasn’t shed once
Please ask all the questions you need! It can be normal I bet baby will shed soon.

Please ask all the questions you need! It can be normal I bet baby will shed soon.
so i took the advice of the others through the forum and my basking light is now a flukers 75W, the light sits on top of my screen enclosure . The highest temp inside the cage is 80 degrees but for some reason im worried that his basking branch is too close and im not too sure if a close basking light can cause eye problems or anything, but if i move the branch any lower the temperature drops to below the ideal basking range. does the basking branch look too close?(the UVB is ideal range about 8-12”)
IMG_2656.jpeg

so i took the advice of the others through the forum and my basking light is now a flukers 75W, the light sits on top of my screen enclosure . The highest temp inside the cage is 80 degrees but for some reason im worried that his basking branch is too close and im not too sure if a close basking light can cause eye problems or anything, but if i move the branch any lower the temperature drops to below the ideal basking range. does the basking branch look too close?(the UVB is ideal range about 8-12”)View attachment 350294
Hold your hand there for about 5 minutes if it’s a soft comfortable warmth you should be ok, if it is uncomfortable for your hand it’s too close. Most of us have our branches about 6-9 inches from the basking light depending on temps.

Hold your hand there for about 5 minutes if it’s a soft comfortable warmth you should be ok, if it is uncomfortable for your hand it’s too close. Most of us have our branches about 6-9 inches from the basking light depending on temps.
okay perfect! When i had that 150W light he usually wasn’t dark colored but ever since switching out to a 75W he’s been basking a lot more and is usually dark colored when he’s under the light

okay perfect! When i had that 150W light he usually wasn’t dark colored but ever since switching out to a 75W he’s been basking a lot more and is usually dark colored when he’s under the light
That is totally normal. They will go dark to absorb heat. Sounds like he is loving it!

You can’t have it too close because for some reason chams can’t tell when they are being burned. They will just keep sitting there.

That is totally normal. They will go dark to absorb heat. Sounds like he is loving it!

You can’t have it too close because for some reason chams can’t tell when they are being burned. They will just keep sitting there.
that’s great to hear🥰 i just worry and stress about every little thing since this is my first chameleon! but i was also worried about the light being too close, but the highest temperature only reaches 80 and if i were to raise it up off the screen i would have like a 76-72 basking spot which i think would be too cold but let me know if im wrong!

that’s great to hear🥰 i just worry and stress about every little thing since this is my first chameleon! but i was also worried about the light being too close, but the highest temperature only reaches 80 and if i were to raise it up off the screen i would have like a 76-72 basking spot which i think would be too cold but let me know if im wrong!
Sounds like it’s spot on to me! As the weather changes, it may need adjustment, but it sounds perfect for now. I’ve had issues the past week with the freeze we had in my area. I just can’t get his basking spot high enough. It’s close, but not perfect right now.

It’s a learning curve for sure. This is my first Cham too and I stress all the time 🙃 I’ve never had any kind of reptile. So going from caring for warm blooded animals to a cold blooded one is night and day. The biggest thing I had to get used to was not feeding him every day. I have to remind myself that he isn’t like a dog or a bird or anything else. Even though it seems like it’s too hot at 80, or 3 bugs every other day isn’t enough, it’s what he needs.

Sounds like it’s spot on to me! As the weather changes, it may need adjustment, but it sounds perfect for now. I’ve had issues the past week with the freeze we had in my area. I just can’t get his basking spot high enough. It’s close, but not perfect right now.

It’s a learning curve for sure. This is my first Cham too and I stress all the time 🙃 I’ve never had any kind of reptile. So going from caring for warm blooded animals to a cold blooded one is night and day. The biggest thing I had to get used to was not feeding him every day. I have to remind myself that he isn’t like a dog or a bird or anything else. Even though it seems like it’s too hot at 80, or 3 bugs every other day isn’t enough, it’s what he needs.
yes i live in arizona and it gets way tooo hot during the summers here so i’ll definitely raise that light a couple inches when it’s summer again.

I’ve only ever had desert reptiles who didn’t have the need for water like chameleons do! Owning a chameleon has definitely been the toughest lizard to take care of that i’ve ever owned but it’s so rewarding! i enjoy all the little things that go into it and i love my little guy! but all in all im just so glad i found these forums and was able to find so helpful and lovely people like you🥰!

Could you post a picture of the back of his hind feet? You were saying ‘he’ in your first post, but I’m not so sure you have a boy 😬

Back
Top Bottom