Concerned!

Carmelo was out of his enclosure 4 hours yesterday and 3 hours today with the Vet. Today yhe Vet was able to get a blood draw. I just caught him asleep. It's 2:30pm. Could the sleeping be related to the amount if stress from the last 2 days. He has never slept during the day.

Screenshot_20240308_144421_Gmail.jpg
Screenshot_20240308_144412_Gmail.jpg
Wholebody2.jpg

Last edited:
Carmelo was out of his enclosure 4 hours yesterday and 3 hours today with the Vet. Today yhe Vet was able to get a blood draw. I just caught him asleep. It's 2:30pm. Could the sleeping be related to the amount if stress from the last 2 days. He has never slept during the day.
Yes, absolutely can be... He has been through a lot and this may very well be a stress response.

Here’s my guess, I’ve been intensively studying chameleon anatomy for the last week for unrelated reasons, but I think the liver would be around here
IMG_3772.jpeg

The big organ around the knees could be something with the intestines or a fat pad 🤔

Those are just my guesses

Did they interpret these for you? is that largest organ liver and if so, is it normal size?
Yes. The Vet stated that the digestive system was large, could be poop. Carmelo has only had 1 recent poop. It was very small. Urate was half yellow and half white. He is definitely dehydrated. She stated bones were good, appropriate density, no arthritis. Blood work was sent out today. She prescribed a NSAID every other day for inflammation and Optixcare for eye.

Last edited:
Yes. The Vet stated that the digestive system was large, could be poop. Carmelo has only had 1 recent poop. It was very small. Urate was half yellow and half white. He is definitely dehydrated. She stated bones were good, appropriate density, no arthritis. Blood work was sent out today. She prescribed a NSAID every other day for inflammation and Optixcare for eye.
Did he have a hornworm before this xray was taken? The more I look at the shape in the top left, the more it looks like one 😅
I swear I can see a wormy body with little legs now

Did he have a hornworm before this xray was taken? The more I look at the shape in the top left, the more it looks like one 😅
I think so. I put one in his enclosure early that morning. However, today I found 2 uneaten hornworms. So, I didn't see him eat the worm. I couldn't find the worm before the Vet visit. Based on the xray, I'm assuming he ate the worm. I try to remove uneaten food but hornworms are good at hiding and they move faster than we think.

What are thoughts regarding giving hydration by syringe.

Carmelo is dehydrated. I usually don't fog his enclosure. I mist 2 times a day. I fogged last night and plan to fog as long as he shows signs of dehydration and is taking 0.1 ml of Meloxicam 0.5mg/ml. NSAID's are hard on their systems. I want to make sure Melo is well hydrated.

Would there be any concerns with providing water by syringe?

What are thoughts regarding giving hydration by syringe.

Carmelo is dehydrated. I usually don't fog his enclosure. I mist 2 times a day. I fogged last night and plan to fog as long as he shows signs of dehydration and is taking 0.1 ml of Meloxicam 0.5mg/ml. NSAID's are hard on their systems. I want to make sure Melo is well hydrated.

Would there be any concerns with providing water by syringe?
Various times that I had to give my chams meds (orally), I always gave a little extra water at the same time. Just go slow and don’t give too much at one time. Also, give the med first and then the water in a separate syringe. I don’t recall what my vet advised, but I only ever gave about 0.5 ml or so at one time. I think the daily max was something like 2 ml. I don’t use drippers, but if I thought it was needed, I’d either add one or put ice cubes on the top to melt down.

Various times that I had to give my chams meds (orally), I always gave a little extra water at the same time. Just go slow and don’t give too much at one time. Also, give the med first and then the water in a separate syringe. I don’t recall what my vet advised, but I only ever gave about 0.5 ml or so at one time. I think the daily max was something like 2 ml. I don’t use drippers, but if I thought it was needed, I’d either add one or put ice cubes on the top to melt down.
He has the Little dripper on top of his enclosure. I fill it and let it drip from sun up - sun down.

Issue of course with water by syringe is you have to be extremely careful that you do not aspirate him since their airway is in the front.
What's your thoughts on adding a fogger. I don't usually give Carmelo fogging. For the past 2 nights i have used a fogger with Carmelo.

Just got a poop from Carmelo. Any suggestions for his dehydration? I'm fogging for 2 hours at night. I'll give him 0.1ml of water later.
This is his second poop with half orange urate. The poop portion is so dry!
This poop is less than 1 hour old.
20240309_161519.jpg

Just got a poop from Carmelo. Any suggestions for his dehydration? I'm fogging for 2 hours at night. I'll give him 0.1ml of water later.
This is his second poop with half orange urate. The poop portion is so dry!
This poop is less than 1 hour old. View attachment 352683
This is progress! The fogging at night should really make a difference over a few days. Every time he breathes out he loses water-when he breathes in fog at night, it is replenished.

Does he like silkworms? Those are hydrating and super nutritious. I think it was @jannb who suggested to me previously to moisten some feeders before giving.
I just received my Frams Chams silks. Carmelo will not eat them. He will only eat hornworms and grasshoppers. I think he ate a large hornworm Thursday before the Vet visit. Today, he ate 1 large hopper. He will only eat the large hornworms. I'm putting a camera on him that can record. All of a sudden, for the past 2 weeks, he will not eat if I'm looking at him. I've only seen him drink once. He has never been dehydrated so I feel like he drinks and he usually eats his hornworms.

I just received my Frams Chams silks. Carmelo will not eat them. He will only eat hornworms and grasshoppers. I think he ate a large hornworm Thursday before the Vet visit. Today, he ate 1 large hopper. He will only eat the large hornworms. I'm putting a camera on him that can record. All of a sudden, for the past 2 weeks, he will not eat if I'm looking at him. I've only seen him drink once. He has never been dehydrated so I feel like he drinks and he usually eats his hornworms.
It’s possible he could be a shy eater 🤔
Chameleons are also shy drinkers so it’s not uncommon to not see them drink

Back
Top Bottom