Concerned!

Pray I Hope GIF

I would not do vit A.... You supplement with this and if they give it and it over loads his body it can be toxic. It is fat soluble so you can not get it to flush with hydrating like the B vitamin.

We have to redo blood work. Carmelo is dehydrated.
and the small sample from Saturday was not enough. The Vet tried 3 times to draw blood today but was unsuccessful. He's getting a Vit B and Calcium injection. Urate, 2 days ago, almost solid yellow. He has a dripper for 12+ hours. This morning he ate a big juicy horn worm.

I am all about horn worms for hydration. I’m willing to bet my veiled Tony hasnt drank any water since I got him last year. He gets a horn worm once a week and I think that and misting is enough to hydrate him. Compared to Yemen he’s doing pretty well.

Also I hate hornworms. They’re so disgusting and I wash them before I feed them because they grow in a nasty poop filled cup. I empty their poops every day and it’s always stomach turning. At least with bug burger it doesn’t smell as bad but still.

@kinyonga Vet wants to give Vit A, B , and Calcium injections. Yes or no?
I wish I could give you a good answer. I’m not a vet and can’t give a definite answer. It depends on what the levels are already for the vitamin A in particular.

It always amazes me that this is the first thing many vets jump into doing…I thiink it’s a carry over from earlier days, when we knew less about supplementing and what was really needed.

If they give calcium and the D3 levels are where they should be, the calcium shouldn’t hurt…any excess should go right out again…but if the D3 is elevated from too much D3 from supplements, it would worry me….because then I think the calcium would be drawn into the chameleon’s system and could cause problems. Regarding the vitamin A, if it’s prEformed, then it would be absorbed right away and you have to have the D3 and vitamin A in a balance…so how do you know if there is a balance? Too much prEformed along with too much D3 from supplements, is not good.
This will explain some of it…
http://web.archive.org/web/20060502...rnals.com/vet/index.php?show=5.Vitamin.A.html

His xrays look good. No arthritis. Good bone density. He is prescribed an eye ointment and anti-inflammation meds. If the eye is not better in 2 weeks, I'll take him in for a flush. None of this explains his weakness, falling, grabbing his front claw when trying to walk, or his overall ability to steady himself. The Vet will try to draw blood tomorrow.
Yeah unfortunately the blood panel is the only way to see what is really happening when it comes to all of his levels and if they are normal or not. fingers crossed for you.

Back
Top Bottom