Outside on not sunny days?

Echoezra

Established Member
Wondering do you think it's beneficial to take them outside on days that aren't so sunny? Still warm enough but maybe cloudy or even rainy? I mean there may be moments of sun peeking through here and there, and if it does sprinkle or rain, any problem having the sky do it instead of me, lol?
Like I've mentioned before, my yard is pretty breezy usually, problem with that? Maybe a wind chill factor not balanced by the sun if it's damp & not sunny? Do you think that wihout the sun, the stimulation would be more stressful and not beneficial? Or is the real sun powerful enough that daylight itself even if cloudy is good enough for them to get some benefit?

I guess the true way to tell is to use a uvb meter outside and see when then sun is behind a could or the day is overcast what the reading would be. I have heard of people getting sun on overcast days but that is in Florida where I live in the tropics. I forgot you are from Canada though!. I think just in general it is good to get them out in the fresh air, if even ithe sun isn't shining. As far as the rain, that is how they get their water in nature, just wouldn't leave them out in a storm of course!!!

Well that's what I was thinking. Any recommendations on min temperature to take them out in, maybe different on sunny vs not sunny days?

i think as long as its at least 75 they will benifit from the uv outside even if its cloudy. mine loves being outside cloudy or sunny. and i cant wait for a humid hot rainy(drizzle) day. i know he'll love that. i think the rainforest is overcast alot when its raining. its just natural.

Mine go outside in the spring when night temps remain above 50 and remain out all summer until night temps again drop below 50 in the fall. They do great.

I was figuring any day over 60 would be okay, no matter what the weather. But probably wait for warmer if there was no real sun, cause they couldn't warm up if they needed to right?
I mean if it was only for an hour or so, probably wouldn't do any harm, then only longer if there's sunny breaks?

There is still UV rays on cloudy and overcast days. Its also just good for them to get fresh air!! Im having a bout of thunderstorms and rain and my troop is outside loving it!!!!

I'm with Flux and Cain; find a safe, shady area under a large tree for their cages and leave them outside 24/7 for the rest of the summer. They can more than tolerate our Canadian temperatures.

At the very least, like Cain says, just being outside is so good for them. The extra stimulation of seeing trees and sky instead of livingroom walls must be so good for their mental and physical health. Mine are outside 24/7 these last couple months, and I don't really worry about them if we have a day or two of cloudy, rainy weather. I'm in Fl but if it's above 65ish during the day then I'm not worried about them.

Well, I decided to stimulate them. - wow, that sounds dirty! Lol. (that's what he said!) ANYways... !! Lol.
I gave them each a turn outside. I don't have their outside age set up yet, so they had to suffer some contact with me in order to get that sunshine & stimulation, but I really do think they enjoyed it. :)
Pictures are coming soon!! Zelig was chilly singe was pretty dark with some new greens i haven't seen before, saw some really nifty bright blue lines under his chin when he puffed up all manly-like when my son walked outside. Lol. Couldn't quite manage to catch that in the pictures though.
But Zaphod showed us some awesome colours! He really doesn't like the camera. :) I feel bad but I needed sunshiny pictures. The turquoise on his head was just glowing! :D
Speaking of heads, at the end, he climbed up on mine and basked for a bit, as the sun stayed out for about ten minutes straight that time, so we just chilled there, I sat really still, digging my Easter Bonnet. ;)

Can't believe you guys let me forget pictures! Lol

Here's a few pics we took that day.

Zelig, my 4.5 month old faly:
a985be57.jpg

5a3dca52.jpg

63ddb83c.jpg

And Zaphod, my nosy mitsio, he's around 11 months or so.
When he first came out:
c5e83fb9.jpg

Still apprehensive, but starting to relax..
11517a58.jpg

Moving around on me & getting sick of camera already.
dec3e4b2.jpg

Colours are beginning to brighten
4cf73268.jpg

And I was worried about his eyes not being bulgy, lol.
4e8eb41d.jpg

I love this one!
954cc8b7.jpg

Really loving the sun, but wishes we'd put that camera away already.
225206e2.jpg

He stuck his tongue out to lick my sweater, we almost caught it on camera
ad1debc6.jpg

Then he caught us peeking.
27b1402d.jpg

Back to cruising Mount Melissa
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/echoezra/e6668d98.jpg[/IMG
]

Some more of Zaphod

Love this one!
e9aa2cd2.jpg

Holding hands. Awww.. :)
f21c8841.jpg

Superchin!
2298d621.jpg

Little bit of tree-time
c2aeaa93.jpg

Wanna play Where's Waldo?
2df18d89.jpg

Mad about coming out of tree, decided to be my Easter Bonnet.
5493413c.jpg

Couple of minutes with my son before we put him away
d0a90a6d.jpg

Deadly stance, lol.
f50c3659.jpg

Sweetest bracelet in the world!
4f425a70.jpg

Had about enough of the camera
2f90c5b2.jpg

Last ones

Couple more zoomed-in closeups from the other shots.
9c64ca99.jpg

711f4fd0.jpg

30d8d0fb.jpg

a653a168.jpg

33f5355e.jpg

Well, that's my boy! Thanks for looking.
e80d208f.jpg

Saw this on another thread

Air blowing on a cham, even worst cold air, can cause some major health problems. It also makes it very hard for the cham to warn up to a temp where it can digest food properly. That can be a death sentence.

So I guess I'm just wondering about outside then? Cause my yard is usually pretty breezy.
It wasn't too bad the day of these pictures, and the sun kept peeking through, so it ended up being about 69 where we were sitting, only about 64 in the shade by the house, and only read about 60 on my weather app. so it's hard to pick a good day to bring them out without actually going out and measuring the spot they'll be in.
Anyways, people always say how good it is for them to be outside. But if this quote is true, and cooler wind is bad, even if they have sun or basking lights, well i guess i should never bring them out?? Because my yard almost never doesn't have a breeze (they actually built windmills right behind my yard for this reason)

pics look great, i dont think cold wind would be good but you seem to exercise great caution, i usually just wear a tshirt and if im warm enough they should be as well. ( im a sissy with cold )
i think Laurie may be more refering to a fan or air conditioner by that statement. common sence is your best friend, for those of us who have it LOL
your chams look great

hoj

Right, she was referring to an air conditioner, but I'm just figuring, if a breeze is bad in a cage with constant you know 85 degree temps, then a breeze outside in cooler temps can't be good? :(
I figured like you, I'm super wimpy with cold, so if I'm okay they should be okay. But a breeze doesn't cause me major health problems either (just makes me whine a lot, lol.)
Thanks for the compliments on the pictures. I'm really happy how they turned out. :D

I have no input on the outside thing, as I face somewhat of a similar scenario here in the bay area. I just wanted to say, both Nosy's are gorgeous!! Love those close ups of the googly face mitsio! :D

Remember that these guys must experience breezes in Madagascar constantly, and it gets cool there. They probably experience lots of days at 60-50 degrees during their winter where I'm sure it's not always sunny. These guys aren't as weak as we like to think in captivity! :) A 20 minutes of a cool breeze outside is not going to destroy them if then they can go back to their warm inside cages, personally.

I have no input on the outside thing, as I face somewhat of a similar scenario here in the bay area. I just wanted to say, both Nosy's are gorgeous!! Love those close ups of the googly face mitsio! :D

Thanks! :D maybe that'll be his new nickname:"googly-face" lol.

Remember that these guys must experience breezes in Madagascar constantly, and it gets cool there. They probably experience lots of days at 60-50 degrees during their winter where I'm sure it's not always sunny. These guys aren't as weak as we like to think in captivity! :) A 20 minutes of a cool breeze outside is not going to destroy them if then they can go back to their warm inside cages, personally.
Well, that's what I was figuring, they live on an island, there's gotta be breezes. And I wouldn't leave them out all day & night, they'd be having "sun time", then back in cage. But how long do you think is okay of it is lower temp and breezy?

Back
Top Bottom