Outside on not sunny days?

Well, that's what I was figuring, they live on an island, there's gotta be breezes. And I wouldn't leave them out all day & night, they'd be having "sun time", then back in cage. But how long do you think is okay of it is lower temp and breezy?

Perhaps 20-30 minutes is ok. Maybe longer, but it would have to be your judgment call depending on HOW windy and HOW low the temps are. But I've heard that even 20 minutes of natural UV is beneficial to chameleons, so I guess at the very least try to stay out the minimum 20-ish minutes? I used to stay out with my guys about half an hour when it got cooler here in Florida.

Edit - Forgot to mention that your guys look absolutely gorgeous outside! Great pics!

Okay, it sounds like I was figuring, if I go by my own tastes, weatherwise, I think they'll be okay. Like I said, I'm pretty wimpy & fussy about breezes in particular, so I'll do the tshirt test, and if I'm okay they'll go outside.
Actually, what I'll do is, until real summer weather comes, they can just go outside ON me, i won't leave them out in a cage until we get some significantly warmer days. That way I can really monitor what they're getting, and also kind of work on the trust/handling thing, as the outside time will serve as a positive reward for letting me take him out?

The average temps in Madagascar generally dont drop below 60. That's just what I've read but you would need to take into consideration that each locale comes from a different part of the island where the temps can be considerably different.

Hey Echo. Love the close ups of your mitsio. I was wondering if they all had those little light patches on their eye turrets or if Hulk was the only one. They look like little lite colored eye liner on top and bottom of eye on their turrets. Really unique to the mitsios because Ive never seen it on any other locale before. Anyways, nice shots. Looks like he was lovin his time in that tree.

The average temps in Madagascar generally dont drop below 60. That's just what I've read but you would need to take into consideration that each locale comes from a different part of the island where the temps can be considerably different.

Thats what i was using as my bare minimum. (60) as I said even though the weather report was describing it as 60, next to my house was several degrees higher, and in the sun was 10 degrees higher. But I guess the same could be said for their areas in Madagascar too, right? But you'd figure a lot of that would be affected by them being in shaded trees a lot of the time too? So maybe although it might be 85 in the sun, they're hanging down shaded where it's 75? Maybe.
Do you happen to know a link or something to find out seasonal & weather details for Faly & Mitsio?

Hey Echo. Love the close ups of your mitsio. I was wondering if they all had those little light patches on their eye turrets or if Hulk was the only one. They look like little lite colored eye liner on top and bottom of eye on their turrets. Really unique to the mitsios because Ive never seen it on any other locale before. Anyways, nice shots. Looks like he was lovin his time in that tree.
I'll have to look back & check that eyeliner thing out closer. Interesting.

Anyways, yeah he was so anxious to get on the tree when I walked over there, but I didn't realize before how actually WIDE the tree is! It always looks so small cause it's short, but once he got on and climbed in deeper, I started to think, wow, if he goes any closer to the trunk, I'm not going to be able to get to him without breaking some branches! Oopsie! So I had to grab him back off & even that took some doing, he was not impressed. :(
I'm going to have to get him his own tree, that I can prune & drown & kill as I please. Lol.

outside for mine 24/7 during the summer months. I usually wait until the lows aren't dropping below 70 degrees.

I see it on all sorts of other locales. My male panthers have "white eyeliner" as well as many other ambilobes and ambanjas and other locales that I've seen.

Back
Top Bottom