Baby Basil has coccidia advice needed

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon – Male veiled chameleon, 2 ½ months (maybe 3 months), He has been in my care for 3 weeks.
  • Handling – Once or twice a week, mainly to check his weight.
  • Feeding – Crickets, red runner roaches, bsfl and bsf, occasional wax worm and hornworm (if small enough) 12-15 crickets daily, 3-5 bsfl, maybe 1-2 bsf (if they pupate), roaches 1-3. 1 wax worm (just started feeding him these) I set the feeder cup up in the morning with crickets and put the bsf in to fly around. Later in the afternoon around 2-3pm I try to hand feed the bsfl. Gutloading with Insect chow from fullthrottle feeders, dandelion leaves, apples for hydration and water crystals. I just ordered some Repashy superload.
  • Supplements – Repashy calcium with no D and the Cal+ with multivitamin. Dusting crickets and roaches every feeding with Cal no D but not the bsfl. I have not dusted with the Cal/Multivitamin yet. I will only do it once a month since he is outdoors.
  • Watering – Hand misting until the entire cage is soaked 2-3 times a day (morning, afternoon, evening) It usually takes me about 5 mins per session. I also do extra misting on my days off but shorter sessions. I always make sure it’s dry in between misting. I have a dripper set up to drip on leaves. I have only seen him drink maybe 2-3 times from the leaves and dripper. When I first got him and then about a week later. I am currently looking into an automatic mister to install outside.
  • Fecal Description – He poops every other day. Urate is small mainly white but has some yellow. The pic attached is not his most recent poop but the urate looks the same. It has been this color since I got him. Poop is brown and normal looking. I recently took a sample to the vet because since I got him I noticed there was an odor but I thought that it was normal because poop smells. The smell kept getting stronger so I dropped it off and found out he has coccidia.
  • History – I purchased him from FL Chams and I am the first owner.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type – Reptibreeze 2x2x4 screen; no substrate on the bottom just plastic floor.
  • Lighting – He is currently outside, I live in FL. He gets the morning sun from around 930-1130. I made sure he is not in direct sun for extended amounts of time. The sun moves around the cage during this time frame. He also gets sun in the late afternoon/evening around 4-6. The top is covered for shade so his basking spots are lower in the cage. I do have a 12% Arcadia linear light fixture, with a 75w basking bulb, and and infrared heating bulb (also Arcadia). Currently not using since he is outside.
  • Temperature – Cage floor 74-77, middle 82-84 and basking 87-89 (currently working on this) Overnight temps Range from low 60s-low 70s. I have a Fluker’s temp/hygro combo. I move it around the cage to get the readings. I will be getting a temp gun for more accurate readings.
  • Humidity – Day time range right now is between 40-60, it will probably go up during the summer. At night I spray the cage down and cover the sides. When I wake up I check and it averages about 76% sometimes higher.
  • Plants – 2 Pothos, Nasturtium, Umbrella tree, 2 Bromeliads, fake vines/leaves. I wanted to get more but they were small when I got them so I figured they would grow and fill out the cage a little more.
  • Placement – Backyard in a screened in patio. No fans or air vents. Just outside wind. I live about a block from the beach so maybe some sea breeze. Not high traffic during the week when we are at work. We do have squirrels and birds that live in the trees. I have a dog but she is inside and goes out on occasion, she rarely goes to sniff his cage. The cage is about 4’6” in height but I am working on raising it a bit higher.

I am so sorry to hear about little Basil. I have had to deal with coccidia several times in my 15+ years of keeping. In my opinion it's the worst parasite because of the clean up and it being contagious. Be sure that your vet uses ponazurill for treatment. It's safe and has no side effects. If the vet tries to give you albon, refuse it. Albon can cause them to stop eating and become sick and even die.

I would recommend treating him soon. When Amos and Andy came to me they were 5 months old and only weighed 15 and 13 gram. They both had coccidian and pinworms. They just weren't growing because of the coccidia. They were the size of my other 2 and 3 month olds. My vet put them both on the Ponazurill and when the coccidia treatment was finished we gave them panacur for the pins.

I'll get you a link for clean up. It's important to clean properly or they will get coccidian again after they are clean.

I am so sorry to hear about little Basil. I have had to deal with coccidia several times in my 15+ years of keeping. In my opinion it's the worst parasite because of the clean up and it being contagious. Be sure that your vet uses ponazurill for treatment. It's safe and has no side effects. If the vet tries to give you albon, refuse it. Albon can cause them to stop eating and become sick and even die.

I would recommend treating him soon. When Amos and Andy came to me they were 5 months old and only weighed 15 and 13 gram. They both had coccidian and pinworms. They just weren't growing because of the coccidia. They were the size of my other 2 and 3 month olds. My vet put them both on the Ponazurill and when the coccidia treatment was finished we gave them panacur for the pins.

I'll get you a link for clean up. It's important to clean properly or they will get coccidian again after they are clean.
Thanks Jan! He has gained a total of 2g since I’ve had him and he eats a lot. I’m due to weigh him this week. I’m afraid he isn’t gaining weight bc of the coccidia. I will follow up with the vet and talk to him about the ponazurill.

Back
Top Bottom