Eye Flushing In Chameleons

Is this absolutely necessary? They clearly don't have this done in the wild. As long as we're providing proper misting and humidity, shouldn't this be unnecessary?

I thought Pete was against "mistings" where they took eye ball wash showers on their own? Now i see this were he is doing it manually...

Ive never done this in my life. Though i am impressed in his cham handling technique.

Im going to stick with mistings so they can spin the eysballs around them selves, even Pete looks shaky with that "dull" needle going into the eye...

While interesting, I just imagine that some keepers will try this and harm their chameleons. Specifically, those keepers who are told repeatedly that they need to take their chameleon to a vet and for whatever reasons refuse to do so.

Isn't this part of the treatment for chameleons that have nasolacrimal duct blockages and get the swelling at the anterior portion of the orbit?

Attachments

• 20215-1358423707-fb8571bc2752633d8005ac0ba60770e3.jpg
    20215-1358423707-fb8571bc2752633d8005ac0ba60770e3.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 77
Who dat?! @Brodybreaux25

This is highly questionable and dangerous... Dulling the needle point doesn’t change that its a huge poke / scratch / impalement hazard.

I agree that eye flushing is something keepers can do at home, but not with a needle point. Get a soft (rubber) tipped syringe. Or just a pack of saline tubes which you can just “squirt” or drip in.

I put drops in Penne’s eyes daily. Even with a good grip, you can see the cham is going to jerk its head, as it did in Petr’s video. Its just not worth further injuring the eye. Get a soft tipped syringe at Walgreens if you need to take this on at home.

Isn't this part of the treatment for chameleons that have nasolacrimal duct blockages and get the swelling at the anterior portion of the orbit?

Yep. Thats what I suspect with my girl. We’ve has many vet trips and at home drops/flushes. I suspect she needs a nasal flush and/or incision.

4D7E8080-0EA3-4368-903A-296A251A0F11.jpeg

Actually, in the corner of this pick you can see the saline drops I use.

Not piling on Petr, he looks like he knows what he's doing here but I just question if this is the same approach a reptile vet would take? With a needle?

Understanding a process is always good. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, you simply would not do it yourself. At least now you know the process.
I don't know why people are so against knowledge.

I realize most here are not long term keepers and thus don't have all the experiences. For some of us however, if this was part of the treatment I would be completely comfortable doing it.

I don't see where he said to do it as a preventive measure. It would be done as part of a treatment.

I have seen many people make weekly trips to the vet, just to do a procedure they are uncomfortable with.

How many give their own dog shots ? How many cant give their dog a shot.

Whether I do a procedure, or a vet does it, I still want to know the procedure.

Do not fear knowledge that you are uncomfortable with. Suggesting that someone would do this, wile being afraid or uncomfortable just doesn't make sense.

Some of us here have more experience, and do preform many procedures at home. To say this is wrong is to say we are not allowed secret vet knowledge.
Many procedures can easily be learned. The difference between a vet and someone like me, is I know some specific things, They know in depth about far far more. But they will show you the one thing if you ask. Like "How do I give my dog a shot ?" They will show you. This doesn't mean you are now a vet, you can just perform that procedure needed for your pet.

Understanding a process is always good. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, you simply would not do it yourself. At least now you know the process.
I don't know why people are so against knowledge.

I realize most here are not long term keepers and thus don't have all the experiences. For some of us however, if this was part of the treatment I would be completely comfortable doing it.

I don't see where he said to do it as a preventive measure. It would be done as part of a treatment.

I have seen many people make weekly trips to the vet, just to do a procedure they are uncomfortable with.

How many give their own dog shots ? How many cant give their dog a shot.

Whether I do a procedure, or a vet does it, I still want to know the procedure.

Do not fear knowledge that you are uncomfortable with. Suggesting that someone would do this, wile being afraid or uncomfortable just doesn't make sense.

Some of us here have more experience, and do preform many procedures at home. To say this is wrong is to say we are not allowed secret vet knowledge.
Many procedures can easily be learned. The difference between a vet and someone like me, is I know some specific things, They know in depth about far far more. But they will show you the one thing if you ask. Like "How do I give my dog a shot ?" They will show you. This doesn't mean you are now a vet, you can just perform that procedure needed for your pet.

I don't really feel any type of way about this. But I gotta say, every other post you're talking about your experience. Dude, I'm a longterm reptile keeper too, but I'm younger than you(28). Let's be honest, anyone that kept reptiles before the 2000's new little of what they were doing. So chill out. You have a veiled, and have bred veileds. Cool, but that's not that extraordinary of a feat. I know people that have bred wild melleri and parsonii that brag less lol. I like your contributions and I'm not against what you're saying, just the way you come off.

Back
Top Bottom