panther chameleon closing 1 eye

plzhelp

i have a male panther chameleon that closes 1 eye throughout the day the eye alternates sometimes it’s left sometimes it’s right i also notice him rubbing his eyes on the branches every so often i tried flushing his eyes with a barely opened water bottle dropping droplets in his eyes but he still closes them is there any way to figure out why he does this i feed him every other day and mist 2 to 3x a day as well as supplement calcium every feeding and with d3 twice a month. here is a pic of the enclosure

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
just got a pic of him doing it and he just blew air out of his nose a couple times?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 58
he has been rubbing his eyes pretty often i don’t know what that means

Attachments

• IMG_4450.jpeg
    IMG_4450.jpeg
    239.7 KB · Views: 47
What supplements are you using and the schedule exactly ?
In the one photo his right eye looks swollen ...

The rubbing likely means something is irritating his eyes…could be something stuck in them or perhaps the beginning of an infection.
Hows the cage humidity?

What supplements are you using and the schedule exactly ?
In the one photo his right eye looks swollen ...
i use calcium to dust his bugs and use d3 around twice a month i can send more pictures to show you his eyes it doesn’t appear to me that one is swollen i could be wrong though kinda hard to get pictures of him while he’s running around let me know if you want more

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 52
The rubbing likely means something is irritating his eyes…could be something stuck in them or perhaps the beginning of an infection.
Hows the cage humidity?
i don’t have anything to measure the humidity i spray his cage twice to three times a day a very generous amount everytime

i’m thinking lack of vitamin A is causing it i haven’t been gut loading my bugs is that possible?
It might be helpful to get a photo of the supplements and someone could help with that. I think your multivitamin should have vitamin a in it.

i don’t have anything to measure the humidity i spray his cage twice to three times a day a very generous amount everytime
He’s beautiful. Like others said I would take pictures of his supplements that way they can help you. I would also get something to measure the humidity because it’s super important for him to have the proper humidity, if he doesn’t that could be causing the problems with his eyes. I hope your able to figure it out, he sure is pretty 💙

He’s beautiful. Like others said I would take pictures of his supplements that way they can help you. I would also get something to measure the humidity because it’s super important for him to have the proper humidity, if he doesn’t that could be causing the problems with his eyes. I hope your able to figure it out, he sure is pretty 💙
thank you i will buy something to measure his humidity what is it supposed to be at and these are my supplements. i give the blue one every feeding, green twice a month and i haven’t been using the bug burger but i am gonna gutload every feeding now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 41
What works well for me and mine are Reptical without D3 every feeding and RepashyLoD once a month. Feeders are well gutloaded with various veggies like squash, gourd, carrots and various greens with a "lite" sprinkle of bee pollen.

Attachments

• 20190420_160553.jpg
    20190420_160553.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 45
thank you i will buy something to measure his humidity what is it supposed to be at and these are my supplements. i give the blue one every feeding, green twice a month and i haven’t been using the bug burger but i am gonna gutload every feeding now.
Hi you need a multivitamin as Steve h has mentioned the repashy Lod or reptivite +d3 twice a month and do away with the calcium +d3, also what lights are you using

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230513_194102_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230513_194102_Samsung Internet.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 44
I was wondering about your lights as well. If you are using the wrong kind at the wrong distance it can cause eye problems.

I was wondering about your lights as well. If you are using the wrong kind at the wrong distance it can cause eye problems.
i am using 100w uv and the th10 bar light i will show you the distance in a picture this is an old picture i am not home at the moment but i just moved the forward stick lower about 2 inches it’s possible that was too close. thank you guys for helping im just a tad bit confused so i should use the calcium without d3 every feeding, calcium with d3 twice a month and gutload all food with calcium plus lod repashy?

Attachments

• IMG_4495.png
    IMG_4495.png
    658.4 KB · Views: 54
Panther chameleons humidity should be somewhere from 40-60 during the day and 70 - to 100 percent at night ☺️

I use a combination of an automatic misting system and a fogger to raise my humidity at night, but you can only fog so long as you can get your temps 65 or below. A lot of people can’t achieve the temp drop and just use misting to boost their humidity at night. I think I remember you saying you are hand misting. Once you have a gauge to see what your humidity is at you could do a nice long hand misting just before lights out at night and see where that gets you? I’m sure others can chime in as well and tell you what they do…. It’s definitely going to be different for everyone due to different climates. Best of luck to you

Hi you need a multivitamin as Steve h has mentioned the repashy Lod or reptivite +d3 twice a month and do away with the calcium +d3, also what lights are you using
i’m kind of confused with what you mean by this couod you plz help me understand so i should use the calcium without d3 every feeding and with d3 twice a month and gutload the bugs with repashy lod how often?

Back
Top Bottom