Chameleon eye closing

PANCHITO

My panther chameleon is 1 and 1/2 years old. Earlier this month I noticed his right eye closing. I’ve taken him to my exotic vet twice they’ve said he’s healthy and done a dye scan and flushed his eye out to see if there was anything. I’ve given him eye drops that they prescribed and nothing. Recently took him to my local pet shop where I bought him and his eye is opening more but still closes and sucks in. These are the pictures of his eye and how it looks when it sucks in.

Attachments

• IMG_5346.png
    IMG_5346.png
    405.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5345.png
    IMG_5345.png
    326.4 KB · Views: 45
Also for his vitamins I give him calcium without D3 for every feeding and recently, reprivatice with D3 twice a month. But recently I started giving him 1 time a week just in case it’s a vitamin A deficiency. I honestly don’t know what the problem could be.

Hey there welcome to the forum.

This best way for us to be able to figure out what may be going on is to have you fill out the form below. Eye issues can be linked to quite a few things so this helps us narrow it down. Just copy and paste the form into your reply and then answer the questions with detail.. Also post pics of the entire cham and of the entire enclosure lighting down.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hey there welcome to the forum.

This best way for us to be able to figure out what may be going on is to have you fill out the form below. Eye issues can be linked to quite a few things so this helps us narrow it down. Just copy and paste the form into your reply and then answer the questions with detail.. Also post pics of the entire cham and of the entire enclosure lighting down.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful

1) Panther chameleon, male, and has been in my care for almost two months
2) Recently I take him out two times a day to give him eye drops I was prescribed . But before it was once a day to give him the other ones that were prescribed from the exotic vet.
3) I give BSF and Dubian roaches, I give him 4 roaches and 3 BSF. I gut load them with tomatoes and lettuce.
4) calcium without D3 every feeding and reptivite.
5) I spray water into his cage and also turn on a humidifier for 5 minutes in the morning and night.
6) his fecal looks the same Everytime two brown sacks with a lil peach color thing. I don’t know if he’s ever been tested for parasites, I assume the vet did it though.
7) don’t know much about his history the pet shop I bought him from said someone sold him to them but when I got it he seemed fine just he was in a small enclosure.

CAGE INFO
1) it’s a 16x16 30 screen cage. I know it’s not the best but it’s a beginner one I plan on changing soon.
2) he has a zoo med blue light as his heat bulb, but it’s not actually blue. He has an Arcadia linear 6% T5 light.
3) His basking spot is 85-88 I turn it off after it hits 90 because in LA it’s been getting hot lately. The bottom of his cage is at mid to high 70’s.
4) I keep forgetting to buy the humidity thermometer. But he does have a humidifier that I turn on in the morning for 5 mins and at night for 5 mins
5) he had a money tree when the problem started took it out cause u thought maybe I didn’t wash it right. Now he has that one plants that looks like vines and I don’t know the name of the one in the middle but I know it’s harmless
6) his cage is in the living room, but it’s the most of room temp room in house. Never too hot or too cold.
7) I’m in Californian, LA.

Attachments

• 71208263766__B43AF9CE-700A-42EE-8F91-BD4393799A6E.jpeg
    71208263766__B43AF9CE-700A-42EE-8F91-BD4393799A6E.jpeg
    237.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 71207976331__29E27AAC-C5B1-412A-96A8-55A4A835E8C9.jpeg
    71207976331__29E27AAC-C5B1-412A-96A8-55A4A835E8C9.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 57
1) Panther chameleon, male, and has been in my care for almost two months
2) Recently I take him out two times a day to give him eye drops I was prescribed . But before it was once a day to give him the other ones that were prescribed from the exotic vet.
3) I give BSF and Dubian roaches, I give him 4 roaches and 3 BSF. I gut load them with tomatoes and lettuce.
4) calcium without D3 every feeding and reptivite.
5) I spray water into his cage and also turn on a humidifier for 5 minutes in the morning and night.
6) his fecal looks the same Everytime two brown sacks with a lil peach color thing. I don’t know if he’s ever been tested for parasites, I assume the vet did it though.
7) don’t know much about his history the pet shop I bought him from said someone sold him to them but when I got it he seemed fine just he was in a small enclosure.

CAGE INFO
1) it’s a 16x16 30 screen cage. I know it’s not the best but it’s a beginner one I plan on changing soon.
2) he has a zoo med blue light as his heat bulb, but it’s not actually blue. He has an Arcadia linear 6% T5 light.
3) His basking spot is 85-88 I turn it off after it hits 90 because in LA it’s been getting hot lately. The bottom of his cage is at mid to high 70’s.
4) I keep forgetting to buy the humidity thermometer. But he does have a humidifier that I turn on in the morning for 5 mins and at night for 5 mins
5) he had a money tree when the problem started took it out cause u thought maybe I didn’t wash it right. Now he has that one plants that looks like vines and I don’t know the name of the one in the middle but I know it’s harmless
6) his cage is in the living room, but it’s the most of room temp room in house. Never too hot or too cold.
See my feedback and additional questions in red.

1) Panther chameleon, male, and has been in my care for almost two months How old is he?
3) I give BSF and Dubian roaches, I give him 4 roaches and 3 BSF. I gut load them with tomatoes and lettuce. Do not use tomatoes for your gutload. See gutload image.
4) calcium without D3 every feeding and reptivite. Reptivite with D3 or without? What is your schedule for supplements?
5) I spray water into his cage and also turn on a humidifier for 5 minutes in the morning and night. Do not use a humidifier during the day when temps are increased. This can make them develop a respiratory infection. Temps should be below 68 at night when you use this. How long are you misting for? Are you hand misting?
6) his fecal looks the same Everytime two brown sacks with a lil peach color thing. I don’t know if he’s ever been tested for parasites, I assume the vet did it though. You have to request a fecal sample be tested. So you have to take one in to the vet for this to be run. This is the first thing I would due based on where you got him from and him being a surrender to them. The urate is what you are referring to as the peach thing... It actually should not be peach colored should be a white color maybe with a bit of orange.

CAGE INFO
1) it’s a 16x16 30 screen cage. I know it’s not the best but it’s a beginner one I plan on changing soon. Really need to get him into a 2x2x4 as soon as you can. He is too big for the cage he is in.
2) he has a zoo med blue light as his heat bulb, but it’s not actually blue. He has an Arcadia linear 6% T5 light. What is the distance from the UVB to the branches below it?
3) His basking spot is 85-88 I turn it off after it hits 90 because in LA it’s been getting hot lately. The bottom of his cage is at mid to high 70’s. Really do not want basking over 85 for him.
4) I keep forgetting to buy the humidity thermometer. But he does have a humidifier that I turn on in the morning for 5 mins and at night for 5 mins.. See info above for running a fogger only at night.
5) he had a money tree when the problem started took it out cause u thought maybe I didn’t wash it right. Now he has that one plants that looks like vines and I don’t know the name of the one in the middle but I know it’s harmless. Money trees are totally safe for them.
6) his cage is in the living room, but it’s the most of room temp room in house. Never too hot or too cold. I would move his cage away from your electronics. This is an accident waiting to happen. When you have the amount of water going into a cage that we need to for these guys the last thing you want is electronics near it.

Post a few more pics of the cham for me please...

Eye issues/closing can be linked to a few things. Health issue, Supplement issue, UVB issue, incorrect misting, Also wrong vines being used. Supplements I need to know your schedule to rule this one out. Uvb is fine but you need to make sure you have an 8-9 inch distance to the branch with your fixture and bulb type. Not misting long enough to trigger the ability to clean their eyes. Most will not do this with a hand held misting bottle. So this ends up being an issue if they get something in their eye and they can not clear it. Most keeper will use an automatic misting system like a mistking for this. Most are private about even drinking water so this is another bonus to a misting system. If only closing one eye this could be the issue that he can not clear what is in the eye. Your using the moss vines which are not recommended for them. They hold bacteria and can not be cleaned off. The black jungle vines are also not recommended because the coating flakes off. This can be an issue when they rub their faces on them and a piece gets into the eye.

If he is closing both eyes and sleeping during the day... This is almost always a sign of a health issue. Parasites can cause a decline like this. Which is why a fecal sample is always a good idea to rule it out. Incorrect supplementation can also cause them to close eyes. So I would need more info on schedule to rule that out.

Attachments

• chameleon-gutload.jpg
    chameleon-gutload.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 48
See my feedback and additional questions in red.

1) Panther chameleon, male, and has been in my care for almost two months How old is he?
3) I give BSF and Dubian roaches, I give him 4 roaches and 3 BSF. I gut load them with tomatoes and lettuce. Do not use tomatoes for your gutload. See gutload image.
4) calcium without D3 every feeding and reptivite. Reptivite with D3 or without? What is your schedule for supplements?
5) I spray water into his cage and also turn on a humidifier for 5 minutes in the morning and night. Do not use a humidifier during the day when temps are increased. This can make them develop a respiratory infection. Temps should be below 68 at night when you use this. How long are you misting for? Are you hand misting?
6) his fecal looks the same Everytime two brown sacks with a lil peach color thing. I don’t know if he’s ever been tested for parasites, I assume the vet did it though. You have to request a fecal sample be tested. So you have to take one in to the vet for this to be run. This is the first thing I would due based on where you got him from and him being a surrender to them. The urate is what you are referring to as the peach thing... It actually should not be peach colored should be a white color maybe with a bit of orange.

CAGE INFO
1) it’s a 16x16 30 screen cage. I know it’s not the best but it’s a beginner one I plan on changing soon. Really need to get him into a 2x2x4 as soon as you can. He is too big for the cage he is in.
2) he has a zoo med blue light as his heat bulb, but it’s not actually blue. He has an Arcadia linear 6% T5 light. What is the distance from the UVB to the branches below it?
3) His basking spot is 85-88 I turn it off after it hits 90 because in LA it’s been getting hot lately. The bottom of his cage is at mid to high 70’s. Really do not want basking over 85 for him.
4) I keep forgetting to buy the humidity thermometer. But he does have a humidifier that I turn on in the morning for 5 mins and at night for 5 mins.. See info above for running a fogger only at night.
5) he had a money tree when the problem started took it out cause u thought maybe I didn’t wash it right. Now he has that one plants that looks like vines and I don’t know the name of the one in the middle but I know it’s harmless. Money trees are totally safe for them.
6) his cage is in the living room, but it’s the most of room temp room in house. Never too hot or too cold. I would move his cage away from your electronics. This is an accident waiting to happen. When you have the amount of water going into a cage that we need to for these guys the last thing you want is electronics near it.

Post a few more pics of the cham for me please...

Eye issues/closing can be linked to a few things. Health issue, Supplement issue, UVB issue, incorrect misting, Also wrong vines being used. Supplements I need to know your schedule to rule this one out. Uvb is fine but you need to make sure you have an 8-9 inch distance to the branch with your fixture and bulb type. Not misting long enough to trigger the ability to clean their eyes. Most will not do this with a hand held misting bottle. So this ends up being an issue if they get something in their eye and they can not clear it. Most keeper will use an automatic misting system like a mistking for this. Most are private about even drinking water so this is another bonus to a misting system. If only closing one eye this could be the issue that he can not clear what is in the eye. Your using the moss vines which are not recommended for them. They hold bacteria and can not be cleaned off. The black jungle vines are also not recommended because the coating flakes off. This can be an issue when they rub their faces on them and a piece gets into the eye.

If he is closing both eyes and sleeping during the day... This is almost always a sign of a health issue. Parasites can cause a decline like this. Which is why a fecal sample is always a good idea to rule it out. Incorrect supplementation can also cause them to close eyes. So I would need more info on schedule to rule that out.
I actually have a picture of his poop

Attachments

• IMG_4872.jpeg
    IMG_4872.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 51
Left eye is always open right one closes and open or sucks in. He never closes both always just one. The vets at access hospital have told me he’s in healthy condition. I have a copy of his medical record too.

Attachments

• IMG_3936.jpeg
    IMG_3936.jpeg
    284.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4940.jpeg
    IMG_4940.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4936.jpeg
    IMG_4936.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5346.png
    IMG_5346.png
    405.1 KB · Views: 58
I actually have a picture of his poop
Get a fecal done... Increase hydration as well. He is shedding his sperm plugs naturally which is good but the urate is more cream than we want to see and the fecal is huge.... Double check your basking temps. He may just not be able to digest as well if he is hanging out on the bottom of the cage. But there is a bit more mucous to the fecal than I would like to see which is why I am saying get a fecal tested for parasites. If that is fresh today seperate the urate portion put it in a plastic baggy and take it down to the vet.

Left eye is always open right one closes and open or sucks in. He never closes both always just one. The vets at access hospital have told me he’s in healthy condition. I have a copy of his medical record too.
Little man is holding a bit too much weight you can tell by how puffy his casque is along with his front arms. Are you feeding him every day?

Also he’s 1 and 1/2 years old.

No
Little man is holding a bit too much weight you can tell by how puffy his casque is along with his front arms. Are you feeding him every day?
every other day. Do you have a recommendation on how many roaches or Black soldier flies I should give.

No

every other day. Do you have a recommendation on how many roaches or Black soldier flies I should give.
Take him to 3 feeders every other day. Flies are fine as extras. They will be good for him to target and move around. Just do not throw a dozen in there.

Also for his vitamins I give him calcium without D3 for every feeding and recently, reprivatice with D3 twice a month. But recently I started giving him 1 time a week just in case it’s a vitamin A deficiency. I honestly don’t know what the problem could be.
Have you given him this since you got him two months ago with the reptivite 2 times a month? You do not want to use it more than the 2 times a month. D3 and vitamin A are fat soluble so they store in the body. They can become toxic to them and cause issues. So only 2 times a month. If he has been on reptivite since you got him it would not be a vitamin A deficiency.

You can rule out supplements being the issue.

If you are hand misting I am betting he has something stuck in that eye. Could be from the fake vines. But they have issues clearing their eyes if they do not have a long enough misting session. Looking at 2-4 minutes for most chams.

Have you given him this since you got him two months ago with the reptivite 2 times a month? You do not want to use it more than the 2 times a month. D3 and vitamin A are fat soluble so they store in the body. They can become toxic to them and cause issues. So only 2 times a month. If he has been on reptivite since you got him it would not be a vitamin A deficiency.

You can rule out supplements being the issue.

If you are hand misting I am betting he has something stuck in that eye. Could be from the fake vines. But they have issues clearing their eyes if they do not have a long enough misting session. Looking at 2-4 minutes for most chams

I got him mid June and was not using it but his eye started closing June 29. I started using reptivite somewhere around July 7-10 so I assume it was the vitamin A deficiency. Don’t know how long it takes for them to recover from that though. I had a lot of breeders from the reptile expo tell me to give him vitamin A once a week but I feel uneasy about doing that since I’ve heard too much d3 is bad.

I got him mid June and was not using it but his eye started closing June 29. I started using reptivite somewhere around July 7-10 so I assume it was the vitamin A deficiency. Don’t know how long it takes for them to recover from that though. I had a lot of breeders from the reptile expo tell me to give him vitamin A once a week but I feel uneasy about doing that since I’ve heard too much d3 is bad.
Btw they told me to give him it once a week until he recovers I gave him one time for two weeks but felt it wasn’t working so I stopped.

Btw they told me to give him it once a week until he recovers I gave him one time for two weeks but felt it wasn’t working so I stopped.
Maybe that’s why he’s a lil fatter but his weight which was last checked on the 5th is .1485 KG

Back
Top Bottom