driving with chameleons

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best way to transport them is just like you ship them. Dark insulated box so they cannot see or bounce around too much.

I may be missing something here but isn't this what Elizadots said in the first place while you were all arguing with her?

The way I see it is that the guy came to ask for advice which shows he cares for his chameleon... he is thinking about the welfare first before doing it.
I think it's riduclous that some people say he should get rid of the chameleon because he wants to go away, I admit once a week is too much but jumping down his throat for a question is stupid IMO

I may be missing something here but isn't this what Elizadots said in the first place while you were all arguing with her?

The way I see it is that the guy came to ask for advice which shows he cares for his chameleon... he is thinking about the welfare first before doing it.
I think it's riduclous that some people say he should get rid of the chameleon because he wants to go away, I admit once a week is too much but jumping down his throat for a question is stupid IMO

THIS was in response to a person who was asking how to transport if necessary. The argument was over transporting them every weekend. Please read the thread more carefully before throwing out an accusation such as this one. See above where even she says once a week is too much.

OH-And NO ONE jumped down the OP's throat. He asked a question and experienced, knowledgeable people answered him. The argument was never with the OP. I do applaud him for thinking of the animal and asking the question.

THIS was in response to a person who was asking how to transport if necessary. The argument was over transporting them every weekend. Please read the thread more carefully before throwing out an accusation such as this one. See above where even she says once a week is too much.

What accusation am I making?
I read the thread 'carefully' and I was just happily noting that what you just said was what Elizadots had been saying from the beggining regarding to transport and regarding to it not being every weekend.

I'm not taking a direct dig at you about jumping down his throat so please don't take it that way..
It would just be nice if people who had experience (such as yourself) would have a bit of sympathy for people asking a question whether it be a stupid one or not without being overly harsh like (get rid of him) This is his pet and it's nice that he doesn't want to leave his chameleon behind :)
(and no, I don't condone that just because he wants to take his chameleon with him that it is actually the right thing to do every week)

well i have a 5 months old veild, she is my first, and summer time is coming. and in the summer me and my family tend to make alot of trips up to my trailer park in terra cotta. its a beautifull place with loads of sun in the summer, and i have a screen room attached to the outside of my trailer that im sure she would love to hangout in and bask in the actual uva's/uvb's.

my question is. is it stresfull to chameleleons if they are drivin around ? , its apox 30 min drive from my house to the trailer park and ill be going there almost every friday till sunday or monday when i drive back home, will this be okay ?

First of all, when you move a cham into a new place, it takes days maybe a week for them to feel secure and comfortable. We all know that as we have all brought new chams home and worried about them because they didn't eat.
Another thing to think about is strange people around the cham wanting to hold it, checking it out, etc. Even if it was transported and kept in the same enclosure it's in now, would be stressful being in new surroundings. I agree with the majority here, leave the cham at home. If it's only 30 min away then make sure there is a drip that runs all day and check on her every morning, lights on timers, etc.

I read the thread 'carefully' and I was just happily noting that what you just said was what Elizadots had been saying from the beggining regarding to transport and regarding to it not being every weekend.

I'm not taking a direct dig at you about jumping down his throat so please don't take it that way..
It would just be nice if people who had experience (such as yourself) would have a bit of sympathy for people asking a question whether it be a stupid one or not without being overly harsh like (get rid of him) This is his pet and it's nice that he doesn't want to leave his chameleon behind :)
(and no, I don't condone that just because he wants to take his chameleon with him that it is actually the right thing to do every week)

I did not exactly say it that way, but I am sure it could be taken that way. I have been around for awhile, and have seen many big, reputable breeders get out for a multitude of reasons-new jobs, new babies, other interests that are not compatible with keeping chameleons. I just think it better for cham and owner to not stress either one if leaving the cham at home under someone else's care is not an option.

Well, here's what you need to consider -- wouldn't you feel bad if your cham started to go downhill after this roadtrip stuff? You can do whatever you want (I especially recommend putting it in an elf costume with a little santa hat on its crest) but just imagine it all skinny and sick on the bottom of the cage with its eyes sunken in and its tongue not working right and the little santa hat drooping to the side.

Besides all the debate about traveling with it or not, another big thing to consider is the change in temps, humidity, light, etc. between the home cage and the screen porch at the vacation house. Shifting a cham between two territories that often will probably be more stressful than the trips themselves. Even if the traveling stress was minimal, the constant change of habitats will take a big tole on the cham especially a female. If you are only going to be away for two days at a time, feed her well, put the lights and an automatic mister on timers, and leave the cham home.

I think the egg thing that Julirs brought up might be the biggest issue. Even imagining a scenario in which transportation was 98% stress free, the chance of her starting that process when she's not at home already is scary.

All controversy aside I may have a solution.

Hi ChamNoobs! Believe it or not someone else lives in Brampton who keeps chameleons. Give me a PM when you are thinking about going on vacation and I will keep an eye on your baby (if that's okay with your folks):D

Steamy thread!

Elizadots really do you need to argue. Julirs is a VERY NICE PERSON if you knwo what you are talking about and give the right info to her. DO not accuse her of being a bad person and do not put words in other mouths. I dont want to get in trouble on the forums, but im trying to prove a point.

Chamnoob- the best advice is do not take your chameleon with you back and forth. Leave it at home and get a chamsitter...end of discussion!

Chameleons "talk" via vibrations. They do not hear. Why am I telling you this? Because all of the bumping around and rattling of the car can stress out the chameleon more than you think.
Chameleons and Vibration

according to one of Chris' most recent posts they do hear, and have fully developed ears, they are just not visible on the outside so they only hear low frequency sounds.

I am just as tired of people like you who snap and people like Juli, she is a top poster, meaning she has helped a lot of people on this forum and has been around a while, she helps people out in just about every thread, most senior members or those with experience are far too lazy to do what she does, I think she is allowed to be a bit harsh, NOT THAT SHE WAS. Another reason we can get that way is because there is a little thing called "search" in the upper right hand corner of the website, and a question like this one was just asked not even a month ago.

I am just as tired of people like you who snap and people like Juli, she is a top poster, meaning she has helped a lot of people on this forum, she helps people out in just about every thread, I think she is allowed to be a bit harsh, NOT THAT SHE WAS. Another reason we can get that way is because there is a little thing called "search" in the upper right hand corner of the website, and a question like this one was just asked not even a month ago.

I agree with Danny. What right do you have to attack Juli?

Last edited:
according to one of Chris' most recent posts they do hear, and have fully developed ears, they are just not visible on the outside so they only hear low frequency sounds.
I probably missed it then, oops. I'm not on as often as I have been, or perhaps I've simply forgotten. Danny, can you post a link to that thread so I can read it?
Either way, low frequency sounds.. all sounds.. Eh, basically not hearing (except elephants LOL). But I know what you meant.

In that case, simply remove the "do not" and replace with "do".

...end of discussion!

yeah.....

You can do this if you bring her cage with and you do the transit right. If you make a nice soft foam box for her to ride in and be sure to put her asleep before taking her and then she wakes up in her cage... I think things will be OK. If you can have someone watch her while you are gone, it'd be good to do that sometimes. Maybe switch off the weekend you take her.

You need to maintain a dark space for her so she doesn't wake up. You also want to put the box on the floor, out of the sun and somewhere she won't get crushed.

I probably missed it then, oops. I'm not on as often as I have been, or perhaps I've simply forgotten. Danny, can you post a link to that thread so I can read it?
Either way, low frequency sounds.. all sounds.. Eh, basically not hearing (except elephants LOL). But I know what you meant.

In that case, simply remove the "do not" and replace with "do".

Here you go, Chris explains it better than I can :D

https://www.chameleonforums.com/can-chameleons-hear-37895/

Reactions: Syn
yeah.....

You can do this if you bring her cage with and you do the transit right. If you make a nice soft foam box for her to ride in and be sure to put her asleep before taking her and then she wakes up in her cage... I think things will be OK. If you can have someone watch her while you are gone, it'd be good to do that sometimes. Maybe switch off the weekend you take her.

You need to maintain a dark space for her so she doesn't wake up. You also want to put the box on the floor, out of the sun and somewhere she won't get crushed.

ahah glad you can agree with me. Hey Kevin is it hard to put a chameleon to sleep?

Besides all the debate about traveling with it or not, another big thing to consider is the change in temps, humidity, light, etc. between the home cage and the screen porch at the vacation house. Shifting a cham between two territories that often will probably be more stressful than the trips themselves. Even if the traveling stress was minimal, the constant change of habitats will take a big tole on the cham especially a female. If you are only going to be away for two days at a time, feed her well, put the lights and an automatic mister on timers, and leave the cham home.

So when I got my first cham around 2 years ago I did try this. I was new to chams, inexperienced at the time and had not found this forum to even think to ask the question. I was going to my boyfriends house on the weekends which was a 15 min drive away and I didn't want to leave my cham at home as he was still a young juvi and needed to be fed everyday.

I didn't think the drive would be bad and he was going into a spare bedroom so there was no traffic and I was leaving him in his cage and I though he would be fine because of being in his cage and familiar surroundings, same trees etc.......wrong.

What Carlton touched on is absolutely right. The car ride was stressful but the biggest stress for my cham was the change of external environment (an empty bedroom), temps, humididty etc.

I did this twice and he was just as stressed the second time as the first that I never did it again.....just not worth it. I have apologized to him many times for being such an idiot for doing that to him.

I am just as tired of people like you who snap and people like Juli, she is a top poster, meaning she has helped a lot of people on this forum and has been around a while, she helps people out in just about every thread, most senior members or those with experience are far too lazy to do what she does, I think she is allowed to be a bit harsh, NOT THAT SHE WAS. Another reason we can get that way is because there is a little thing called "search" in the upper right hand corner of the website, and a question like this one was just asked not even a month ago.

I have in no way said SHE was harsh so please read my post again. I also accept that Julirs is a VERY respected person, I just feel that the more experienced cham owners should be nice regardless of their knowledge because we are all human and words can be hurtful to someone especially new cham owners....
In what way do you think ANYONE needs to be harsh?
The guy was just asking if he can move his cham whilst he goes away and the suggestions were more leaning towards his being a bad owner and that he should get rid of the cham?
That IMO is NOT good advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom