driving with chameleons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think ultimately the best answer is to try to minimize the trips. I offered ideas on that earlier..I do think that the chameleons would love the screen room....I googled it and it's like "here's where chameleons will be happy" in a picture...very nice.

Again...there are questions unanswered so we can't offer suggestions...

**edited to add**

Julirs...recognizing that people own chameleons and expect to have them work into their lives, not to give up their lives for the animal is hardly horrible...

That you think so is rather odd and frightening...

What is odd and frightening is your outlandish ideas and suggestions and ridiculous arguements. No one said to give up his life or his plans, his best and smartest plan would be to leave the chameleon at home and have someone care for it while away. A "chamsitter".

Elizadolots-there are certain things in life that do not fit into all lifestyles. I certainly have a life that involves a FT job, vacations, etc. I luckily have a good supply of chamsitters. I do have a respect for the type of animal I keep to not subject them to additional stress. THAT makes me a good keeper and decent human.

Really? He was told to give up his chameleon, that he should not own one...how is that not "big"?

That advice is no different than if it were any other animal. Not every animal makes a good pet for everyone. Your lifestyle should dictate what pets are suitable for you. If you can not provide the proper care that is required by any given pet, then that is not the right pet for you.

Depending on the situation, it is possible that he doesn't even need a chamsitter...

30 minutes of driving isn't that much! So if he has a good fog or mist system, some timers for his lamps (to turn on and off), and a big dripper, he could be able to come and feed his little friend every two days without any problem. In fact, it is good for the chameleons to not eat for one day long every week...

Oh and as Julie and bridgofaith stated, some people shouldn't own a pet. When you buy a pet, you have to buy one that fits to your lifestyle. No matter what animal you buy, be it a dog, a cat, a fish, a bird or a chameleon, you shouldn't mold it to you neither should you mold to it, but rather choose one that FITS to you. :mad: So when i bought my chameleon, i didn't buy a bird because i sleep LAAAATE everyday! It's called logic!

PS : This apply for love relationships as well by the way! You need someone who fits to you, not someone that you plan on changing into what you dream of! :eek:

Depending on the situation, it is possible that he doesn't even need a chamsitter...

30 minutes of driving isn't that much! So if he has a good fog or mist system, some timers for his lamps (to turn on and off), and a big dripper, he could be able to come and feed his little friend every two days without any problem. In fact, it is good for the chameleons to not eat for one day long every week...

Oh and as Julie and bridgofaith stated, some people shouldn't own a pet. When you buy a pet, you have to buy one that fits to your lifestyle. No matter what animal you buy, be it a dog, a cat, a fish, a bird or a chameleon, you shouldn't mold it to you neither should you mold to it, but rather choose one that FITS to you. :mad: So when i bought my chameleon, i didn't buy a bird because i sleep LAAAATE everyday! It's called logic!

PS : This apply for love relationships as well by the way! You need someone who fits to you, not someone that you plan on changing into what you dream of! :eek:

Good advice. 30 minutes isn't that far. A quick trip home to feed and check on him would not be difficult.

And, why should he? He's trying to find the best way to make his life and "owning a chameleon" work...if it's less than ideal for either of them well, hey....that's life. He probably has to make sacrifices so it's not too hard on his chameleon...does that mean the chameleon can't go to the summer home? No...maybe he can drive it up once and then someone who stays in the park year round can take care of it for the times he's away...there are loads and load of ways this is not a hideous death experience for the chameleon.

Recognizing that the owner has rights is sometimes hard. I cringe every time I see a poodle painted to look like the American Flag or something equally extreme....but while I can hate it, can I honestly say I have the right to condemn the owner of the animal for doing what he wants to do with the animal?

If someone owned rabbits and routinely killed some and used them for food (as Julia Child suggested all Americans should do) would it be right to jump on them for it?

We own them. We owe them respect and good care, yes, but we also can expect them to conform to our lives to an extent.

One poster suggested the family move rather than inconvenience the chameleon....

We own them. While I don't advocate it, if an owner decided to dress her chameleon up in elf clothes, well...that's her right to do.

Good advice. 30 minutes isn't that far. A quick trip home to feed and check on him would not be difficult.

OMG...there was a good solution!! who knew? What with the "you shouldn't own a chameleon" "buy a dog" "your chameleon will die" crap....

OMG...there was a good solution!! who knew? What with the "you shouldn't own a chameleon" "buy a dog" "your chameleon will die" crap....

OMG... I didn't see you offer ANY good advice but yet you have chewed everyone else out. I stand firm on what I said. Not every animal is suited to every person.

The main concern in this subject comes from two different ways of seeing it.

Eliza sees it the way laws apply. Indeed, it is legal to travel with your chameleon 10 hours a day, 5 times a week if you want, for the next 6 years...

The way Julie, Faith and I see it is ethical (do not confuse ethics and moralty by the way). Our ethics are based on what is good and what is bad for everyone, including the pet's owner, the pet itself, and everything linked to the situation (for example money, time, car, etc). Coming from that point, when you decide to buy a pet, with this kind of ethics, you won't buy a pet that doesn't fit to you because this will lead to negative aspects for either you or the pet (or both).

Now if you stand on the legal way of seeing things, I can accept it. But i won't approve it. Laws don't cover everything, and should they cover stress for vulnerable animals? I think so, even if we are far from it!

About your rabbit example, there is a big difference between EATING and traveling for fun, even though eating can be fun too. Now, is it bad to eat a rabbit for food? No. But is it bad to stress it and to lead it to possible death when unnecessary? Yes.

My two cents~~

Elizadolots-These are exotic animals. It is obvious you do not thnk they have the right to anything at all. The animal should fit into his lifetyle? I think not. How sad it is that you take that stance.

Last edited:
OMG... I didn't see you offer ANY good advice but yet you have chewed everyone else out. I stand firm on what I said. Not every animal is suited to every person.

Really? Then I guess you didn't read the thread...I offered that it was likely to be stressful and everything that could be done to minimize the stress should be done...I suggested that the animal be brought up once and have someone in the park care for it when he was back at home so there were only 2 transports...your failure to read is not a reflection on me.

The main concern in this subject comes from two different ways of seeing it.

Eliza sees it the way laws apply. Indeed, it is legal to travel with your chameleon 10 hours a day, 5 times a week if you want, for the next 6 years...

The way Julie, Faith and I see it is ethical (do not confuse ethics and moralty by the way). Our ethics are based on what is good and what is bad for everyone, including the pet's owner, the pet itself, and everything linked to the situation (for example money, time, car, etc). Coming from that point, when you decide to buy a pet, with this kind of ethics, you won't buy a pet that doesn't fit to you because this will lead to negative aspects for either you or the pet (or both).

Now if you stand on the legal way of seeing things, I can accept it. But i won't approve it. Laws don't cover everything, and should they cover stress for vulnerable animals? I think so, even if we are far from it!

About your rabbit example, there is a big difference between EATING and traveling for fun, even though eating can be fun too. Now, is it bad to eat a rabbit for food? No. But is it bad to stress it and to lead it to possible death when unnecessary? Yes.

My two cents~~

Haven't I been trying to find the least stressful way possible for the owner to get what he wants? Please show me where I've discounted the stress on the animal in my suggestions.

Elizadolots-These are exotoc animals. It is obvious you do not thnk they have the right to anything at all. The animal should fit into his lifetyle? I think not. How sad it is that you take that stance.

A) see above B) Yes, the animal should fit into his lifestyle. Ideally, he wouldn't have bought a chameleon with his planned summer schedule, but he owns the animal and has every right to do what he wants. The best we can hope to do is help him to see the least stressful way.

I guess I think you have difficulty relating to people who are not in your exact situation...because any other explanation for your posts is that you are really not a very nice person.

So, assuming (as I do) that you just have difficulty relating to people who are not in your exact situation, he owns this animal. He is not going to give this animal away...he wants this animal to experience his screen room at his summer trailer park, what should he do?

I've provided answers that I think have merit, though there are questions...

Take my assumptions (which, I think are realistic) and reply. Please. I would really respect you for that and I love finding people I can respect.

Or don't...and well...that's why there's more time to discuss, right?

tangent

I was trying to find good info about transporting my cham, just in case I would need to. Unfortunately, the forum produced more debate over whether the cham should be transported in the first place. I'm more concerned with the best way to do it, should one have to. I know some people drive several hours to their vets. How do those people do it? Thanks in advance.

Really? Then I guess you didn't read the thread...I offered that it was likely to be stressful and everything that could be done to minimize the stress should be done...I suggested that the animal be brought up once and have someone in the park care for it when he was back at home so there were only 2 transports...your failure to read is not a reflection on me.

Oh I read it. Thought it was ridiculous. Yeah, take the cham to the vacation spot and leave it there week after week in the care of someone else for the duration of the summer. Your decision to continually argue with those that have more experience than you IS a reflection on you. Unfortunately, it is not a good one.

Last edited:
I was trying to find good info about transporting my cham, just in case I would need to. Unfortunately, the forum produced more debate over whether the cham should be transported in the first place. I'm more concerned with the best way to do it, should one have to. I know some people drive several hours to their vets. How do those people do it? Thanks in advance.

The best way to transport them is just like you ship them. Dark insulated box so they cannot see or bounce around too much.

When you are traveling, i suggest that you put your pet into a box or any container that is closed and dark, to let your chameleon have a chance of sleeping (which most likely won't happen, but who knows!).

Make sure the surfaces are not too rough for your chameleon. You could put a towel or anything soft that absorbs as much vibrations and shocks as possible.

Don't forget about air too. Make sure it doesn't die off suffocation!

Also, keep an eye on temperature. Something easily doable for short to moderate trips is a bottle of water, filled with hot or cool water, depending on what are your needs. Cover your bottle with something, like a towel. This way it won't burn or cool off your chameleon if he gets to touch it.

Of course, you'll have to take the temperature a few times, to make sure it is perfect for your pet! If you can try it without your pet before it is even better!

Depemding on the temps I put hot water in freezer bags and put them in the a shoe box covered with a towel. Then I lay a branch out of his cage in the box and put him in the box and then cover the box with towel so its dark. He just falls asleep.

And the only time I move him is when I go to the vet which is an houir drive. When I get home he gets some treats because of how stressed he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom