Dilemma

graydon

My boy mitch has slowly developed a URI. Im 99 percent sure. I took him to the vet about a month ago when he started sneezing/coughing and tilting his head up at some points. The vet cleared him and said there was no redness no excessive mucus etc. Now I did not get her experience on cham's which was my fault. I also had a fecal done and they found nothing.

The other day I noticed bubbles as he opened his mouth and I immediately knew he has a URI. His nostrils also look like they have a some dried mucus.

He is still eating, drinking and being very active. Does not appear to be in a life threatening situation at the moment but Im wondering how long I have before Ive got a serious problem on my hands. I have a vet appt set for friday morning which was the earliest they could see me. Should I call back and say its an emergency or should I go back to the old vet and tell her to give me baytrill or fortaz?

My next question is how did he develop this? Basking temp is 85-90 ambient is low 70's. Night temp gets down to around 65ish. Humidity stays around 50 percent and spikes up to 70-80 percent with mistings. He does sit next to a window but the temp never drops below 65 in the house. The past few months its gotten really cold outside into the 30's and high 20's.

I would keep his night temps above 70 until he no longer has URI. I would not wait too long, Friday should be OK. I usually see URI when there is a big shift in temps. I would also make sure air flow in his cage is good, and that nothing is being sprayed near his cage or the room he is in.
Did he get this when you moved him from outside to inside?

Yes Juli. He was doing fine until I moved him inside and it got cold. That and too much humidity did it I believe. Will I have to give him fortaz injections? I can barley take a needle myself.

Back
Top Bottom