Chameleon fell down

Freyja737

Hi everyone. So sometimes in the day I leave my chameleon cage open when I’m on the couch next to it and he shows his head and looks at me watching tv. Today for the first time he tried to escape. I saw him and he got scared from me looking and fell down on the edge above the lower door. I’ve never seen a scarier thing happen in my life…The way he hit his middle body on the edge was terrible, but he held on and stayed there for a while. Then he walked away looking completely normal, I even have him some crickets. Is it possible that something is broken? Does anyone know what I should observe for? Worst thing is I’m having a hard month and literally 30€ in my bank account so I can’t take him to the vet rn. The 2 black stripes are the bruises from the edge I suppose.

Attachments

• BE27035E-074E-4BFF-88C5-8ABEFA01A201.jpeg
    BE27035E-074E-4BFF-88C5-8ABEFA01A201.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 634FC69E-B5EA-4C54-B466-0EB3F1EB3A8B.jpeg
    634FC69E-B5EA-4C54-B466-0EB3F1EB3A8B.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 04F76F1C-3B1A-42A9-A79F-BEB2BA53DED7.jpeg
    04F76F1C-3B1A-42A9-A79F-BEB2BA53DED7.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 29
My Cham fell once as well it’s super scary. I just monitored him for signs of distress (closed eyes, dark colors, hanging out at the bottom of his enclosure). Keep a close eye on bruised area and watch him closely for normal tail and leg use.

I’d also try to set something up so he can’t fall again from the same spot if possible.

He is a darling boy!

Let us know how it goes. The lines on his body are super odd, but are most likely temporary stress on his skin from hitting the edge. Probably nothing serious. I use padded AstroTurf in our breeding room so they bounce if they fall. If he fell, hit an edge and then a soft surface after (e.g., carpet, rug, etc.), I wouldn't worry too much. Just monitor him closely and let us know.

-Connor

chameochamleoens.com

Hey guys, so I’ve been told that when a cham hits himself the black spots or lines that appear on the hit spot after are their bruises. Anyways I’m observing him closely and he seems fine, eats with apetite, uses tail and legs properly ❤️ Thank God it’s nothing serious. I stopped breathing for a moment when I saw him falling down.
I have question off topic though. He still keeps running away from me. When I feed him I show him the cup with bugs and then I put my other palm between him and the cup so he has to walk on me to get to his food. I try to avoid eye contact as well. Don’t do any sudden movements around him or put my hands above or behind him. The second he’s done eating though he turns around and goes into hiding. When he’s basking and sees me enter the room, he immediately shows fear and goes to hide again. I’m being super careful around him, but he doesn’t seem to like me. Can you give any suggestions on what I can do to help him trust me more? Starting to feel desperate

Hey guys, so I’ve been told that when a cham hits himself the black spots or lines that appear on the hit spot after are their bruises. Anyways I’m observing him closely and he seems fine, eats with apetite, uses tail and legs properly ❤️ Thank God it’s nothing serious. I stopped breathing for a moment when I saw him falling down.
I have question off topic though. He still keeps running away from me. When I feed him I show him the cup with bugs and then I put my other palm between him and the cup so he has to walk on me to get to his food. I try to avoid eye contact as well. Don’t do any sudden movements around him or put my hands above or behind him. The second he’s done eating though he turns around and goes into hiding. When he’s basking and sees me enter the room, he immediately shows fear and goes to hide again. I’m being super careful around him, but he doesn’t seem to like me. Can you give any suggestions on what I can do to help him trust me more? Starting to feel desperate
Chameleons in general can be quite shy. Male veilds in particular are notorious for being "spicy." But if you want to build trust, this is a great place to start:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/

Yep. Chameleons are shy lizards. You're lucky if they eat out of your hand. Two of mine will every once and a while. Bless them...we just want to love them....

Back
Top Bottom