Male Veiled 7 months old might die

I’ve been following this thread and just want to say I’m really crossing my fingers for you. It sounds like you are doing all you can for your guy and I’m really hoping he pulls through!

I have an appointment at 330pm today to get blood work done on Larry. I know I was suggested a list of vets but going back to the exotic vet I was going to. I did call a few places. One was Dundee Animal hospital with a recommended doctor. He wasn't available for several weeks. They told me he is experienced with chameleons but by no means an expert. They know my vet and I explained the whole story. They said it was best to go back to mine and just do the blood work there. Said he is a good vet and he already has his history.

Either way I'm not sure the blood work will show something. At the very least maybe find an answer. Keeping fingers crossed.

I have an appointment t 330pm today to get blood work done on Larry. I know I was suggested a list of vets but going back to the exotic vet I was going to. I did call a few places. One was Dundee Animal hospital with a recommended doctor. He wasn't available for several weeks. They told me he is experienced with chameleons but by no means an expert. They know my vet and I explained the whole story. They said it was best to go back to mine and just do the blood work there. Said he is a good vet and he already has his history.

Either way I'm sure the blood work will show something. At the very least maybe find an answer. Keeping fingers crossed.

Since you have an mbd issue ask the vet for liquid calcuim and a syringe so you can shoot it into a hornworm and give it to him that way as it will absorb faster and easier. Also make sure they check vitamin A in the blood work. You might want to start taking him on short walks for vit d from the sun. chams are curious creatures and like looking around. Dont let him get on top of your head unless you hold him there with one hand. a hawk could grab him up in an instance. Larry is going to pull thru this. He has got a lot going for him (you) and tons of prayers and healing energy headed in his direction!

The vet office called me a little earlier and confirmed when I got there. They don't want to draw blood from him, they think it might kill him.

The game plan now is Ceftazidime injections as a last effort. It will be for 3 weeks treatment. 1x every 48hrs.

Overall he is still kicking along. I will update as he progresses.

more real sun and heat (with option to retreat of course) can help a lot.
Thanks, the weather overall has been great here for 2 weeks. Maybe 3 days that were cloudy and 1 day of rain for a few hours. He has been living outside in another enclosure during the day for almost 2 weeks. I check on him every hour or 2 at the most. He has a massive ficus with huge leaves to retreat to shade anytime he wants to. Have lots branches everywhere too. It hasn't been over 86 here in 2 weeks. Most days around 80. The hotter days I mist him down with the hose (don't worry its the mist setting and soak the focus leaves with water to encourage him to drink himself.

He seems to love it out there and is a completely different lizard out there. Around 5pm I bring him in for the night and he seems so sick. I think the sun is literally keeping him alive!!

Thanks, the weather overall has been great here for 2 weeks. Maybe 3 days that were cloudy and 1 day of rain for a few hours. He has been living outside in another enclosure during the day for almost 2 weeks. I check on him every hour or 2 at the most. He has a massive ficus with huge leaves to retreat to shade anytime he wants to. Have lots branches everywhere too. It hasn't been over 86 here in 2 weeks. Most days around 80. The hotter days I mist him down with the hose (don't worry its the mist setting and soak the focus leaves with water to encourage him to drink himself.

He seems to love it out there and is a completely different lizard out there. Around 5pm I bring him in for the night and he seems so sick. I think the sun is literally keeping him alive!!
Dude you are doing good with all the bad news it's honestly insane how much of a comeback you've had. You keep this up and your chameleon will be happy and healthy.

Just so everyone can see clearly his issue I was able to grab a picture of Larry's belly this morning. It's been this bad for 2 weeks. He is pooping though!! Very lethargic inside but very active outside.

It really depends on the angle and how his legs are positioned. With his one side curved this plus his leg high you can really see it in this picture. Plus a bonus picture of how good he looks when he is outside right before I went to the vet yesterday. I'll try and take some pics later with him on his own outside later without holding him.

Attachments

• PXL_20230811_115619585.jpg
    PXL_20230811_115619585.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 46
  • PXL_20230810_180128732.jpg
    PXL_20230810_180128732.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 47
That is really bizarre looking. Are they sure it isn’t some sort of growth or even an abscess?
It's not just that area, his entire stomach is distended in a 100 percent of his abdomen. If you look an X-ray of a chameleon there is a slightly opaque area and a line. That line is the separation of the stomach and the rest of the body. It should never be more than 50 percent of the body cavity at its maximum.

His is the entirety of it. Yeah I know it's not good!!! His whole body is slightly opaque on the X-ray.

I don't know if it can relate to chams, but in fishes bloating is often result of intestinal infection, if not major organ failure (heart, liver, kidney - considering he is moving around, eating at least some thing, and pooping, I doubt that it is the later).
If he is pooping - did vet check for bad bacterial overgrowth? or other small parasites? (not worms, 1-cell -ones) Fishes sometimes could be cured by methylen blue (very low toxicity with very good outcomes) or metronidazol (heavy, but wide spectrum stuff).

Back
Top Bottom