Codas Upgrade!

I just got in contact with a family friend who works a ton with wood and furniture who was willing to help! So hopefully this will go over smoothly! ?

Little update, the guy that we are partnering with has an old European crate that was used to ship tiles, this should be really cool. Anyone figure out the plants yet? Lol

[:View attachment 258305
For the backboard we’re going to use this thick of ply wood so it doesn’t end up warping
[/QUOTE]

Look for pressure treated ply, but may be $$

MOSTLY. Watch out for cedar. I believe it is bad for hero’s, and bugs that is why people use cedar in drawers and closets.

Does anyone know more about this?
That is all I have.

Quick question, in a nonbioactive viv, people tell you to cover the soil with flat river rocks so the cham doesn't eat it and become impacted, but in a bioactive viv, are you supposed to cover the plants mounted in the wall as well?

Arcea Palm

If you want a quick to grow, fast to cover Vine.

Passiflora edulis, IE Passion Fruit Vine. Mine has grown almost 30 feet long in under a year (it was 9 inches when I got it), in the Viv. Makes Pothos look like a slow grower. This thing is a dang weed. The branches of mine, are starting to get quite thick (almost 1/2 in at the base). Very good vining plant.

The flowers it puts out (if you can get it to flower) are quite pretty as well.
View attachment 259727
I don't remember which member mentioned that Passion Flowers are poisonous for Chams, I was gon put a Passiflora caeurelea, but i was advised against it...... Anybody know the truth to this, I would really love a Passion vine in my enclosure. Thank you

I don't remember which member mentioned that Passion Flowers are poisonous for Chams, I was gon put a Passiflora caeurelea, but i was advised against it...... Anybody know the truth to this, I would really love a Passion vine in my enclosure. Thank you

I had seen that mentioned, as well.

A warning to Passiflora however, it attracts ants like crazy.

As to toxicity, lets put that into perspective of what the issue is, and why. As we should with all plants, as some of this stuff is just overblown.

Passiflora all of it, contains trace amounts of Cyanogenic glycosides. Scary right? If you know what that is, its pretty scary, that is what creates cyanide. Poison, toxic bad. However, lets step back and see what other plants that substance is in.

"Cyanogenic glycosides are common in certain families such as the Fabaceae, Rosaceae, Leguminosae, Linaceae, and Compositae, and identification of their constituents is a useful tool for informative taxonomic markers."
https://www.intechopen.com/books/to...iew-of-cyanogenic-glycosides-in-edible-plants

Do you know how much of Above is in your gutload? A whole lot.....

The Tortiouse plant safe sites, say dont use Passiflora, however its in ALOT of the Fruits and veggies we eat, and the ones we feed. Notice that list, there is a few big ones. Dandelion is a Compositae, and contains pretty noticeable amounts of Cyanogenic glycosides. That is the Gutload Super Star, every single gutload recipe here, says use Dandelion lol. Lima Beans, Flax Seeds, Almonds, Roses, alot of this stuff is in our gutloads and all of it has Cyanogenic glycosides.

Lets look a little deeper into the article, and now we see this (same article as above).

"There are approximately 25 known cyanogenic glycosides and these are generally found in the edible parts of plants, such as apples, apricots, cherries, peaches, plums, quinces, particularly in the seed of such fruits. The chemicals are also found in almonds, stone fruit, pome fruit, cassava, bamboo shoots, linseed/flaxseed, lima beans, coco yam, chick peas, cashews, and kirsch [3, 4]. "

So its okay to feed apples, its okay to feed gutload with almonds, we can use Bamboo shoots, we use quite a few other things on that list, but Passiflora is bad? I dont think so, but leave that up to you to decide.

They say it is,
2020-03-05 13_54_51-Browse and Search the Tortoise Table Plant Database.png

https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/viewplants/?plant=330#.WMozXfmLTIU

But then again they turn around and feed apples, peaches, plums ect to the very same turtles. So I would say Hypocritical much? Again, thats up to you to decide.

Members of the forum, have in the past used Passionfruit as a gutload, with no ill effects. Same applies, most of the toxicity is in the seeds.

Last edited:
I had seen that mentioned, as well.

A warning to Passiflora however, it attracts ants like crazy.

As to toxicity, lets put that into perspective of what the issue is, and why. As we should with all plants, as some of this stuff is just overblown.

Passiflora all of it, contains trace amounts of Cyanogenic glycosides. Scary right? If you know what that is, its pretty scary, that is what creates cyanide. Poison, toxic bad. However, lets step back and see what other plants that substance is in.

"Cyanogenic glycosides are common in certain families such as the Fabaceae, Rosaceae, Leguminosae, Linaceae, and Compositae, and identification of their constituents is a useful tool for informative taxonomic markers."
https://www.intechopen.com/books/to...iew-of-cyanogenic-glycosides-in-edible-plants

Do you know how much of Above is in your gutload? A whole lot.....

The Tortiouse plant safe sites, say dont use Passiflora, however its in ALOT of the Fruits and veggies we eat, and the ones we feed. Notice that list, there is a few big ones. Dandelion is a Compositae, and contains pretty noticeable amounts of Cyanogenic glycosides. That is the Gutload Super Star, every single gutload recipe here, says use Dandelion lol. Lima Beans, Flax Seeds, Almonds, Roses, alot of this stuff is in our gutloads and all of it has Cyanogenic glycosides.

Lets look a little deeper into the article, and now we see this (same article as above).

"There are approximately 25 known cyanogenic glycosides and these are generally found in the edible parts of plants, such as apples, apricots, cherries, peaches, plums, quinces, particularly in the seed of such fruits. The chemicals are also found in almonds, stone fruit, pome fruit, cassava, bamboo shoots, linseed/flaxseed, lima beans, coco yam, chick peas, cashews, and kirsch [3, 4]. "

So its okay to feed apples, its okay to feed gutload with almonds, we can use Bamboo shoots, we use quite a few other things on that list, but Passiflora is bad? I dont think so, but leave that up to you to decide.

They say it is,
View attachment 260012
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/viewplants/?plant=330#.WMozXfmLTIU

But then again they turn around and feed apples, peaches, plums ect to the very same turtles. So I would say Hypocritical much? Again, thats up to you to decide.

Members of the forum, have in the past used Passionfruit as a gutload, with no ill effects. Same applies, most of the toxicity is in the seeds.
I don’t think I want to take a chance with Coda, she’s full of surprises, I once caught her eating only the middle of the flower.... maybe as a house plant but, not with my ball of spaz!

I definitely recommend this over most other foam products I’ve used. It is much more consistent and easier to use.

View attachment 260041
I have 5 bottles of that stuff on my list! And, I was planning to do it in some places, but I was just concerned if water got on the foam, like in the 2nd stage you listed above, if it would sort of melt/eat the foam away.

Back
Top Bottom